XP compensation for client crash/disconnect deaths

This might be a really stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

Can the server tell when someone's client crashes or they're disconnected? If so, can those deaths be comped when that data is detected? Having just died to Mudlet crashing twice in the span of 18 minutes, figured it's worth asking.

Comments

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Eh is all I had to say about this, but that's too short.
  • Thank you for your valuable contribution!
  • How is it your own fault when Mudlet crashes? :D

Ah, thought there might be the potential for that kind of abuse. No way to safeguard against fake crashes then?
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    I know there's a recent vintage of seeing exp as being some huge loss, but the crashes happen to everyone occasionally, and it's really such a hard thing to accurately track and police that as a customer, I'd rather the admin expend their valuable time elsewhere than babysitting my exp losses and gains 
  • That's a valid point - again, I'm honestly asking because I don't know how difficult it would be to implement something like that. So, thank you for your input.

It is just very frustrating if Mudlet crashes frequently for you, which it does for me.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Do you know why it crashes? It could be something on your end.
  • No clue! I have "Force compression off" checked, which someone recommended, and I think that helped a bit. I still crash all the time, though.
  • Does it crash randomly or when you do certain things? I know certain parts of the mapper script have caused crashes for people in the past.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Mudlet mapper was forged in hell
  • edited May 2015
    Both - it crashes when someone spams PT or tells (hi Zuko), and it also crashes seemingly out of nowhere. GOTO <#> used to crash it, but I deleted and re-installed all of my Mapper data and that fixed that.

(edited because I am incompetent with tags)
  • Also check your triggers for loops!
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Rohai said:
    How is it your own fault when Mudlet crashes? :D

Ah, thought there might be the potential for that kind of abuse. No way to safeguard against fake crashes then?
    IRE hasn't provided the client or the scripts. If you cut yourself with a knife trying to open a tin can, is it the fault of the manufacturer of the food? #extremeexample

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • You're operating under a few false premises:
    1. There is necessarily one party "at fault."
    2. That party must be either the individual player or IRE.
  • Losing XP sucks if you're not a badass like some of the posters ITT... Anyway, there have only been a few innate problems with Mudlet crashing over the years I think (the only one I remember for sure is the one Antonius mentioned where the mapper had a problem for a bit).  If you're up to date it shouldn't be one of those.  Other than that, it's usually been some bad trigger/alias/script that gets stuck in a loop.  Bug the nice Mudlet clan people and check over your stuff as best you can, and if you find something you think might be a likely culprit, do some thread searches.  
  • UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
    Rohai said:
    You're operating under a few false premises:
    1. There is necessarily one party "at fault."
    2. That party must be either the individual player or IRE.
    We assumed you meant IRE was at fault, since you asked for xp compensation from them. So you implicitly brought these "false premises" to the table by asking your question that way.

• Not really sure why you'd make that assumption! It's not about blame or fault, it's just an idea to make game play more enjoyable for folks.
  • Ah, gotcha. Thanks @Sarapis !
  • edited May 2015
    No, Rohai is right.  You (but not only you) are operating under some false premises.  And further, you're operating under the craptastic "get gud" attitude that permeates part of this player base.  His suggestion was pretty much "hey, can we make this suck less"? (which in this case isn't possible) and some of the counterarguments were all about some sort of bizarre assignation of blame.
    Rohai said:
    Not really sure why you'd make that assumption! It's not about blame or fault, it's just an idea to make game play more enjoyable for folks.
    Because you used it first. We misunderstood you. I just didn't understand why you would want xp compensation unless it was because you blamed them for mudlet problem. And then I got upset because you didn't understand how people could interpret your question wrong. I am sorry.

Jules said:
    No, Rohai is right.  You (but not only you) are operating under some false premises.  And further, you're operating under the craptastic "get gud" attitude that permeates part of this player base.  His suggestion was pretty much "hey, can we make this suck less"? (which in this case isn't possible) and some of the counterarguments were all about some sort of bizarre assignation of blame.
    I was wrong about the fault thing. I am sorry, I apologized. But really don't think I deserve your second comment. Check my history in the forums before you throw accusations like that, please.

Klendathu said:
    Rohai said:
    This might be a really stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

Can the server tell when someone's client crashes or they're disconnected? If so, can those deaths be comped when that data is detected? Having just died to Mudlet crashing twice in the span of 18 minutes, figured it's worth asking.
    Mudlet crashing is your own fault, not IREs, can't expect compensation for that. When Achaea is unavailable, or has a fatal error (eg we have to be timewarped), we get compensated with life enhancing auras for our characters.
    Rohai said:
    Not really sure why you'd make that assumption! It's not about blame or fault, it's just an idea to make game play more enjoyable for folks.
    By asking for compensation, you are inferring that your loss is in some way the responsibility of IRE, or is my understanding of the word "comped" something different to yours?

Jules said:
    If Mudlet keeps crashing, you can make it suck less for yourself in a number of ways:
    1. Stop using Mudlet and use the IRE provided client
    2. Find out why Mudlet keeps crashing and stop it doing so (there's plenty of people who are willing to help with this kind of thing, myself included)
    3. Sharpen your pitchfork, light your torch, rally the townsfolk and march on the castle.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Check your triggers like Rispok said. 
  • edited May 2015
    Klendathu said:
    By asking for compensation, you are inferring that your loss is in some way the responsibility of IRE, or is my understanding of the word "comped" something different to yours?
    compensate: to make up for (something unwelcome or unpleasant) by exerting an opposite force or effect.

Really don't understand the unnecessary hostility here.

• Thank you to all who have given useful advice, much appreciated.
    I wasn't hostile, just don't see why IRE should compensate you for your client erroring.

• I asked if something that I thought would improve user experience was possible. It's not possible. I even prefaced it with, "this might be a really stupid question." Apparently it was! Not really cause for anger, though :)  
  • Utianima said:
    Jules said:
    I was wrong about the fault thing. I am sorry, I apologized. But really don't think I deserve your second comment. Check my history in the forums before you throw accusations like that, please.
    I just hate it when people get dogpiled like happened with this dude here.  Makes me mad almost instantly.  Being that it does sound like you're really not in the business of being snarky and condescending, though, we'll all probably forget about it by tomorrow.    
This discussion has been closed.