fantasy football

I know that a couple of others like @Saeva play. I just wanted to see if there were enough people to potentially put together our own Achaea league this season.

Comments

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    I'm so in.

Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • We would need to set up scoring rules. Standard? PPR? Return Yardage? and position requirements Standard? More flexes? OP? IDP? Would also need to decide between redraft, keeper, and dynasty.

Standard non-ppr, one RB/WR/TE flex, no IDP.
  • I'd honestly prefer ppr, since it makes more RBs useful.

• I'm in and I like ppr too
  • So you guys all want standard vs keeper leagues? I mostly play dynasty, but I can do either of those.

I'd vote standard, but down for whatever
  • Sounds fun! Sign me up and keep me posted on the details and I am in as well.
  • You know what's sad is I know baseball. I know how it's played and I know what makes a player good and how stats work. But I am in this fantasy baseball league and I don't know what the ever loving hell is happening or how fantasy baseball....is. I don't know jack shit about football and somehow I did pretty well navigating the fantasy football league!

• Fantasy Baseball is an everyday commitment with constantly changing lineups.. Football is so much easier with a week between games
  • edited May 2015
    Couple more questions i'll toss out. When we startup, do we want to use an auction or a snake draft? I honestly prefer auction, since i have a shot at ever player that way. Howeve, we would need to wait until July to run it on ESPN. I don't know of another free service that runs auctions, aside from an unpaid mfl league. The other option is snake. We could do that on multiple sites. I prefer fleaflicker for that, but again, open to others.

We could do a draft on an unpaid mfl league, and I could import the rosters over to another service as well.

Let's make it some kind of checklist for people to tick off what the want:

1: Redraft/Keeper/Dynasty
    2. Standard/PPR(Points per reception)
    3. Standard rosters/Superflex (Can start an extra offense of any position), IDP, Slightly larger than normal rosters
    4: Snake/Auction draft
    5: ESPN/fleaflicker/nfl.com/other

• This is my first year playing with my friends' league, so I am a bit clueless still, but I'd so be in for an Achaea league.
  • I will win. 

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    I'm so in.
  • I really need to know the answer to those questions, so I can begin to put the league together! @Saeva @Kasya @Atalkez @Morthif @Aodfionn @Aereidhna @Eivan

1. Redraft
    2. Standard or PPR, don't care.
    3. Superflex, standard size
    4. Snake, I hate auction drafting.
    5. NFL.com works best in my experience, but am up for whatever.
  • I have no idea what you just asked me. Let's draft players and set lineups!

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Aodfionn said:
    1. Redraft
    2. Standard or PPR, don't care.
    3. Superflex, standard size
    4. Snake, I hate auction drafting.
    5. NFL.com works best in my experience, but am up for whatever.
    Same as Aodfionn, and I'm good with NFL.com, ESPN, or Yahoo. I have leagues each year on all three. Don't wanna add a fourth.
    1. This decides whether we keep our players from season to season, or restart our teams every year. Mostly relevant for multi-year leagues, I prefer getting a new team each year.

2. Scoring settings. Standard awards points for TDs and yards gained, PPR is Points Per Reception, where anyone who touches the ball on the play gets one point. It drastically increases the value of players who aren't great but who are often given the ball.

3. The 'Flex' position on a fantasy football team is one that can be filled by players of different positions. For example, A WR/RB Flex position could be filled with your extra running back, or your extra wide receiver. Some people load up on flex positions, but I feel like it detracts from the value of getting a well-rounded lineup.

4. This is the method by which you get your players. In a Snake draft, the draft order looks like this:

(1st round)
    Team 1
    Team 2
    Team 3
    Team 4
    (2nd round)
    Team 4
    Team 3
    Team 2
    Team 1

The goal is to make sure everyone gets a similar chance to go after premium players. Auction drafts involve having a set amount of nonexistent currency, and bidding on players. You can swing for the fences and go all in on a player, but then might not be able to compete for other players. Auction is much more focused on prioritizing and having a good idea of relative market value.

5. This determines what site we use to host. Shit tons of sites host, but NFL (and Yahoo) have proven solid by my measure.

@Saeva
  • I'd also like to point out that how much you gain per reception in ppr is able to be changed. I've personally never played with anything more than 0.5 ppr.

I've played in some where you get 1 point per. Let me tell you how fun it is to go up against someone who has Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers when they get a point for every fucking pass attempt, on top of yardage and scoring.
  • ...Dude, that's not ppr. That's some weird league scoring that i've never seen. PPR only gives points for receptions to rb, wr, and te. It has no bearing on QBs. I'm looking at Nfl.com right now. The only thing I kinda don't like is they really don't allow fractions on their scoring. I was going to do like 1 yard = 0.1 points for RB/WR instead of 10 = 1, but that's not a huge deal breaker for me if you guys really want to use it.

If I remember right, it automatically breaks it down like that - if Frank Gore gets 67 yards and no TDs, he gets 6.7 points.
  • Kazu said:
    I really need to know the answer to those questions, so I can begin to put the league together! @Saeva @Kasya @Atalkez @Morthif @Aodfionn @Aereidhna @Eivan
    It doesnt matter to me Kazu,  just give me the info on how the join the league when you get it up and running.

• Yea PPR requires you to catch the ball not a handoff
  • 1: Redraft/Keeper/Dynasty: Don't care
    2. Standard/PPR(Points per reception): PPR
    3. Standard rosters/Superflex (Can start an extra offense of any position), IDP, Slightly larger than normal rosters: more roster spots the better!
    4: Snake/Auction draft: Snake
    5: ESPN/fleaflicker/nfl.com/other: I use Yahoo mostly but I don't care
  • I'd also argue your point that it's only to make non-great players important. Tell me what's more important, a WR who catches 1 ball for 60 yards or a slot guy who converts 2-3 first downs while posting a 4/40 stat-line. In half point ppr, they would score the same.

• I've just made an nfl.com league. I kept the setting completely standard for now. We can change them later if need be. Just pm me your email and I'll invite.

• Actually, no need to do that. Here's the league and password.

League: http://fantasy.nfl.com/registration/privateleaguejoin?leagueId=3093145
    Pass: sarapis

• I just show up and dominate. Whatever rules you guys want. Just make sure defenses don't get bonus points.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.