Giant flower customization and individual City flowers

13»

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Here's what I have so far from what I've gathered. Please let me know if I missed anything:

12. Ithmian moss flower (Eleusis)

This rose's thick, vivid and green petals are a soft and luxurious natural moss, rich and velvety. The petals overlap over each other and curve up like a bell from the dark brown stem. At the top of the rose, the petals dip a bit towards the centre. The stem's thorns are small but numerous. The inside of the flower is pitch black, with a short greyish pistil nearly invisible against the darkness.

SMELL FLOWER: A powerful scent of freshly-cut oak floods the nostrils as the flower is brought near. (Pine scent changed to oak)

////////

11. An acacia blossom (Targossas)

Rising from a long straight golden stem, the acacia blossom ends in a middle that explodes into countless thin petals, golden as the sun, myriad like countless rays of sunlight. The yellow of the blossom is slightly darker in the middle where the petals meet. Sticky droplets of acacia sap cling to the flower's stem.

SMELL FLOWER: the blossom smells faintly of freshly-picked honey on a warm summer day.

(Scent of acacia integrated)

//////////

Mhaldor, I seem to have a general consensus that the seven-petaled black rose is okay.

//////////

Ashtan, no clear consensus yet either. Edit: I forgot the Lionheart Lily, will go write that up now.

//////////

For Hashan, no consensus yet, but I made the orchid as some people suggested. There is also the crystal lily, if you guys end up wanting that.

23. A nightly orchid

This orchid's six rounded, overlapping petals are of the deepest purple, to the point where making the distinction between purple and black becomes a matter of concentration. The inner petals that rise from the middle are a slightly lighter purple that transitions to pitch black at the tips. The fruits of the blossom lie within, black within black, making it difficult to notice them.

SMELL FLOWER: The orchid blossom smells faintly of cinnamon.

OR

23. Crystal lily

Taken from a river deep underground, this lily is a blossom of clear transparent petals that lie upon a bed of pure-white leaves. The petals soar up and then flow outward, like the waters of a fountain. A pure-white pistil rises from the center, graceful and delicate 

SMELL FLOWER: A subtle and subdued perfume-like aroma fills the nostrils as the lily is brought near.

//////////

Cyrene I am leaving until the last. I am fairly sure it'll take me longer.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Please dont use the word void in a flower for Mhaldor. Void is patented by Ashtan.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    Please dont use the word void in a flower for Mhaldor. Void is patented by Ashtan.
    It's more like a trademark, and Blademasters are licensing it from them.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Ourania said:
    The moonflower one is my own personal flower, usually gifted to special areas, so I would avoid that. Perhaps head towards something more representing the city.
    Moonflower is a pretty broad term for a number of nightblooming flowers though.

Something like this for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipomoea_violacea

You can even use it to get high.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Silvarien said:

SMELL FLOWER: A powerful scent of freshly-cut oak floods the nostrils as the flower is brought near. (Pine scent changed to oak)

SMELL FLOWER: the blossom smells faintly of freshly-picked honey on a warm summer day.
    The word "freshly" should not be hyphenated.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    Silvarien said:
    Here's what I have so far from what I've gathered. Please let me know if I missed anything:

////////

Please don't cut the oak....
  • Oceana said:
    Silvarien said:

////////

Please don't cut the oak....
    @Oceana : I was thinking of the Campfire skill... don't some trees get cut for something like Campfire, without it being abhorrent to Nature? I am genuinely curious, I don't know enough about forestals or Eleusis to know for sure.
  • edited April 2015
    Sena said:
    I'd recommend the lionheart lily for Ashtan, mostly because Ashtan's colours are black and gold (the flower is actually purple, not black, but it can be dark enough to look black), and Ashtan is culturally diverse enough (it even has a surprising amount of anti-chaos people) and not geographically unique enough for me to come up with anything with a symbolic meaning that represents Ashtan as a whole. The name seems appropriate too.

@Sena : Maybe something like this? But, do you know what it SMELLS like? Or should I make something up? Thanks!

18. A lionheart lily 

Six gold stamens rise from the golden centre of this blossom, and the stamens end in tips of brown; six petals flow gracefully out like water from that middle, out and dipping down. Each petal is black and turns to gold as the petal nears its tip. A thin but solid stalk of green with luxurious leaves leads to the blossom from beneath.

SMELL FLOWER:

@Mishgul : 15. A rose of the Gruu'n chasm (Mhaldor)

The seven petals of this velvety-soft elegant jet-black rose are proud and symmetrical. The inside of the petals is pitch black, a flawless darkness devoid of any mitigating disturbances. A powerful pheromone wafts freely from the flower, sending off the instinct's alarm bells. Thorns that are sharp as blades line its blackened stem, threatening to cut open the intruding finger that dares touch them.

SMELL FLOWER: The nostrils are filled with the cold scent of freshly-dug
    gravesoil as the seven-petalled rose is brought near.

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited April 2015
    Very pretty, except er .. antennae ... is it a horkval what

edit: 

jic you need part names

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Halos said:
    er .. antennae ... what
    @Halos : Sorry, I'll fix it. I think they're stamens or pistils, I shouldn't have used Antennae
  • edited April 2015
    Halos said:
    Very pretty, except er .. antennae ... is it a horkval what

edit: 

jic you need part names

@Halos : Edit: stamen, it IS stamen. Sorry I was being dumb. Thanks for your help!

I do still need to determine the lionheart lily's scent.
  • Silvarien said:
    I do still need to determine the lionheart lily's scent.
    I'm not sure. I've heard they don't have much of a scent at all, but I've never smelled one. You could also make something up rather than strictly following the real flower, but I don't have any ideas for that either. I'm not good at describing scents.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Should make the lionheart Iily's scent bold and overpowering or something, to go in line with the ideal of Ashtan as a strong and free city.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Ruth said:
    Should make the lionheart Iily's scent bold and overpowering or something, to go in line with the ideal of Ashtan as a strong and free city.
    @Ruth : Like this?

18. A lionheart lily

Six gold antennae rise from the golden centre of this blossom, and the antennae end in tips of brown; six petals flow gracefully out like water from that middle, out and dipping down. Each petal is black and turns to gold as the petal nears its tip. A thin but solid stalk of green with luxurious leaves leads to the blossom from beneath.

SMELL FLOWER: A sharp, bold and intense scent floods the nostrils as the flower is brought near.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Yeah! Now to wait and see if others have a comment to further refine it.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    In all of botany, there is no better term than "peduncle", nay in all of biology.
  • I personally associate Ashtan's climate and 'culture' to lend itself to wildflowers or perennials - the sort of hardy, self-propagating flowers which thrive of their own accord even despite hostile conditions (such as salty soil from proximity to sea, harsh wind, bog etc). While there are some plants under that specification which might look dainty and delicate, I don't think Ashtan really screams 'fragile'...

A black and gold lily could work, but lilies are sort of overdone in terms of flowers so a few more suggestions:

I really like the look of Geissorhiza radians if you're looking for the sort of rainbow-chaotic-portal-to-other-dimension sort of thing (although the climate/geography thing is wonky)

Then there's always various sedges, heather, andromeda (or bog-rosemary), myrtle (as mentioned before) etc. Colours aren't exactly Ashtani, but then I guess that's why we play the fantasy setting - can easily tweak them to fit!

---

For Hashan, there's plenty of night-blooming flowers you can choose from, and plenty that already exist within Achaea as is (I think there's night-blooming orchids in the Sangre Plains maybe?) There's also night gladiolus, cosmos (ties in with starry sky theme), evening primroses, night phlox...

---

For Cyrene there's been plenty of suggestions, including those that already exist in game. Have you thought of white cyclamen if you'd like something new?

---

I always thought Eleusis smelt of violets, honeysuckle and those kind of sweet, earthy forest flowers - would help bypass the "cut oak" fiasco!

• @Silvarien's awesome.

i'm a rebel

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I'd completely forgotten about this, but this used to be one of Mhaldor's most famous associated flowers.

• @Sybilla : I think the "lionheart" is not necessarily a bad name for the flower, unless you want to choose another name. I am trying to get actual citizens of each city to decide on a flower for their own city, so I hope you understand I am keeping the ones that were chosen by its city by this point.

18. A lionheart lily 

Six gold stamens rise from the golden centre of this blossom, and the stamens end in tips of brown; six petals flow gracefully out like water from that middle, out and dipping down. Each petal is black and turns to gold as the petal nears its tip. The petals seem fragile, but are really much tougher than they appear. A thin but solid stalk of green with luxurious leaves leads to the blossom from beneath.

SMELL FLOWER: A sharp, bold and intense scent floods the nostrils as the flower is brought near.

OR

18. A lionheart flower

Six petals look forth from upon the bent stem that holds them. The inner portions of each petal are golden, and halfway through a corroded-looking white circle cuts across all the petals in totality and above that circle the petals turn black. Six points dot the gold of the petals, one per petal, and the stamen and pistils spike out from middle, meeting each other in a point like a spear point aiming forth.

I am going to finish up by looking into the Cyrene flower. The Hashan flower, the nightly orchid seems a better idea than the crystal flower, unless the Hashani are unsatisfied with that, I'll submit it. For Eleusis, I am replacing "freshly-cut oak" with "just scent of oak." The other ones, unless there are objections, seem fleshed-out too, though maybe I am missing something. My apologies if I did miss something, and let me know.

• Hashan suggestion; night blooming jasmine
  • Out of vague curiousity, did you include a flower for rogues in the final cut?
  • Tahquil said:
    Out of vague curiousity, did you include a flower for rogues in the final cut?
    @Tahquil : I didn't specifically include a flower for rogues because I can't think of any given theme that's common to all rogues. Cities have unifying elements, a rogue can be anything from a meek little healer person to a rising star in Quisalis mark that does assassinations very well.

That said, there are 43 different flowers, so hopefully each person will find something he or she likes.

@Rispok : I already submitted the customization document, so I can't take further changes. Very sorry!
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    Looove the rose. Want! It's gorgeous.

What did you go with for Hashan? Nightshade seems like it would have been an obvious fit.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Katzchen said:
    Looove the rose. Want! It's gorgeous.

What did you go with for Hashan? Nightshade seems like it would have been an obvious fit.
    @Katzchen : I am very glad you like the Mhaldorian flower. I went with the nightly orchid for Hashan; people had problems with the Crystal Lily, a bunch seemed okay with the orchid, and not a lot of other suggestions were made.