Contemplating A Return

2»

Comments

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Not saying there isn't some huge differences (Mhaldor's Houses are definitely there to serve Mhaldor), but I have a feeling the actual feel of the Occultists and what they stand for aren't going anywhere. It's a fairly unique part of Ashtan history in all forms, so it's still educational (and interesting, hopefully) if you intend on actually sticking around.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I forget, are we suppose to know ICly about the renaissance.

At least you guys got a heads up about your house, mine sunk into an ocean and all we got was a safe room in New Hope.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Tael said:
    Melodie said:
    I totally joined Mhaldor knowing exactly that the Houses would be going soon. I was told to do the reqs and did so gladly. I got HR5 about 2-3 irl days before everything blew up.

No regrets.

Doing reqs often allows you to get a feel of the culture and where you are, not to mention experience something for the last time before it truly goes away forever. Now granted, I went through the Insidium reqs much slower (and because I was HR5 before, I was allowed to 'skip' a lot of the HR1 and HR2 reqs), and only just recently got full member in there (HR7). But I just attribute that to doing a lot of things at once. Anyone who sits down and just pumps out the reqs can do so.

It's just about having a good frame of mind and (hopefully!) at least semi-interesting requirements.
    To be fair, there's a pretty huge difference here between Mhaldor and the Occultists. The Mhaldor houses got reconfigured, but their essential aims and identity were always more about the city's overarching philosophy anyway - while the details changed, the philosophy remained pretty much identical. The Occultists have a ton of specific stuff to learn and do. Depending on how Ashtan's Renaissance turns out, it may be the case that essentially none of that survives in the new houses - maybe in a high clan or something, but given how much the Occultists have waned in activity and how independent all of their stuff is from Ashtan's city-culture, I don't think you can count on it nearly so much as you could in Mhaldor.

On the other hand, the Occultist requirements are, at least to a certain kind of player (and I am that type of player), really, really interesting. Easily my favorite of any org in the game.
    This was pretty fair I felt. Look, this is how I feel about it OOC. I spent about 4 hours online this afternoon and saw one person sign in. ICly, I do my best (Not always as good as others) to be encouraging to novices and help them do their reqs. I think they're really interesting, too, and it really brought Achaea back to life for me when I started Jinsun. It's part of why I have stayed in the house so long despite my own missteps and some overarching negativity. There are some -wonderful- people who are still active. @Arditi @Amelythe, @Josoul (soooo my homie) @Hirst (even when you piss me off) @Grom (one of the best RP point people I've ever met), @Betelgeuse @Saurrocene even @Amunet (despite how opposite we can be), and they do help drive RP, but 95% of this goes on outside of the house and just goes on together. Like Hirst and I sailing together, Amelythe helping me get my sight back, Grom helping me plan every event that I ever came up with, Josoul helping me vent, Saurrocene keeping us all motivated about novices, Betelgeuse just being a good protege, and Amunet working with me on Babel stuff. Almost none of these things is house-centric. Most of these things have nothing to do with the Occultists as a house. Also, you'll generally only find 1-2 of those people around at most. YES, that is all you need, but it'd be just as well to get to know them outside of the house, we don't generally share a lot with novices, anyhow.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Achilles said:

At least you guys got a heads up about your house, mine sunk into an ocean and all we got was a safe room in New Hope.
    nope
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Tharvis said:
    Achilles said:

nope
    All of the other cities houses keep getting destroyed and reworked into a more cohesive city-house structure, couldn't happen to us, though. (Never understood why it would be structured like this, and us pretending that we don't notice).
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I think it's fair to know about the Renaissance IC, given that more than half the world has been touched by it now. It was only odd when folks were talking about it before Cyrene went through it. These days, it's pretty obvious that Sapience is going through a period of change, and anyone could believably say "Maybe we should think about that, too".
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Aerek said:
    I think it's fair to know about the Renaissance IC, given that more than half the world has been touched by it now. It was only odd when folks were talking about it before Cyrene went through it. These days, it's pretty obvious that Sapience is going through a period of change, and anyone could believably say "Maybe we should think about that, too".
    basically this, yes, though there are still people throwing the word "renaissance" about willy nilly on public channels (which is terribly annoying from an immersion perspective - to the point where I've been tempted to city mute people)
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• edited May 2015
    It seems like an awfully silly thing to gripe about.

From a character's perspective, there is a literal renaissance going on in the world. Over a relatively small amount of time, huge, similar changes have modernised the house-city relationships in half of the city-states on the continent.

I don't know why anyone would think that it would be inappropriate to talk about ICly or why anyone would take issue with calling it a/the "renaissance" when that's exactly what it is ICly (and Achaean history doesn't have any other proper-noun Renaissance).
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    @Tael you seem like one of the most balanced forum users I've seen in awhile. Kudos.
  • Besides, the Occultists aren't a dead house. I wouldn't even count them as 'being in traction' yet. Sure, it's not the glory days, but as @Amunet said, the Occultist glory days were from a combination of factors that's really really hard to replicate.

When the entirety of your full membership in a militant House departs, leaving only two noncombatants, and the newly appointed House Leader has to all but bribe oldbies on Skype to come back and at least act like they'll train novices, then I'll count it as 'being in trouble'.

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Arditi said:
    Besides, the Occultists aren't a dead house. I wouldn't even count them as 'being in traction' yet. Sure, it's not the glory days, but as @Amunet said, the Occultist glory days were from a combination of factors that's really really hard to replicate.

When the entirety of your full membership in a militant House departs, leaving only two noncombatants, and the newly appointed House Leader has to all but bribe oldbies on Skype to come back and at least act like they'll train novices, then I'll count it as 'being in trouble'.
    I didn't really say they're in trouble. I said they're pretty empty and boring right now, and they are.

Member              Rank      HTell  HNTell  Probation      Class
    ------              ----      -----  ------  ---------      -----

This is a very common sight. It's generally what I see 2/3ds of the day online. This is exactly where I expect the Occultists to be in their current place in the world. It'd still be misleading and unfair to tell someone to come join this house for a great RP experience without telling them that they'd mostly be alone in experiencing it. Most days, I feel like I'm playing alone, or pulling teeth to get people to want to talk or RP. 
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Jinsun said:
    Arditi said:
    Besides, the Occultists aren't a dead house. I wouldn't even count them as 'being in traction' yet. Sure, it's not the glory days, but as @Amunet said, the Occultist glory days were from a combination of factors that's really really hard to replicate.

I didn't really say they're in trouble. I said they're pretty empty and boring right now, and they are.

This is a very common sight. It's generally what I see 2/3ds of the day online. This is exactly where I expect the Occultists to be in their current place in the world. It'd still be misleading and unfair to tell someone to come join this house for a great RP experience without telling them that they'd mostly be alone in experiencing it. Most days, I feel like I'm playing alone, or pulling teeth to get people to want to talk or RP. 
    Aww, poor @Jinsun. I'll talk with you anyday! (So long as its in your househall MUAHAHAHHAHAA)
    Huh. Neat.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Ahmet said:
    Jinsun said:
    Arditi said:

Aww, poor @Jinsun. I'll talk with you anyday! (So long as its in your househall MUAHAHAHHAHAA)
    lol our last talk got kinda shit on
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Jinsun said:
    Ahmet said:
    Jinsun said:
    Arditi said:

lol our last talk got kinda shit on
    xD yeah people weren't very patient that day. 
    Huh. Neat.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    I was like open forum? I can't ask questions? Eff this I'm bouncin