Avoidance?

Does anyone have this skill transcended?  Is it worth investing the lessons into ? I`M at 28% at the moment and I cant tell any difference

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    It adds effective dexterity I believe, makes you slightly dodgier against adventurer attacks. It also decreases denizen damage quite significantly (is it 10 or 12% at transcendant?) @Sena will know.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    It adds effective dexterity I believe, makes you slightly dodgier against adventurer attacks. It also decreases denizen damage quite significantly (is it 10 or 12% at transcendant?) @Sena will know.

Decreases all blunt/cutting damage, including PvP damage, I believe.
  • I think it's 10% at transcendent, at least that's what I was told, I have it trans and I like hunting much better with it than without.
  • Help avoidance says damage reduction can be "nearly as much as one part in seven," so ~14% I guess?
  • edited May 2015
    It is indeed between 10% and 14% damage reduction, probably*.

I wouldn't recommend learning it for the damage reduction unless you can get a large portion of the way to transcendent, because I'm pretty sure the damage resistance scales with lessons spent (as opposed to skill rank). So spending 490 lessons (about 28% of the way to trans) will only get you about 3-4% damage resistance.

If you're learning it so you can dodge more in PvP though, admin have implied in the past that that part of it is based on skill rank, so ~280 lessons (16% of the way to trans) will get you more than half the total dodging bonus for example. Edit: Also, the dodging bonus is the equivalent of 1 dexterity per skill level, so at trans that's +11 dexterity worth of dodging.

*I've never actually tested it, because I've avoided learning avoidance so I can more easily test other things. If anyone with trans avoidance is able to fly though, it would only take a moment to test. Just remove your armour and any other blunt resistance, make sure you're at max health, fly, dive, and tell me how much damage you took when you smacked into the ground (along with your max health). Or if you want to figure it out yourself, hitting the ground should do 200+MaxHealth*0.33 blunt damage. If you can't fly, there's also a chute in Nuskuwe that will throw you out in the air, and you can take the falling damage that way.
  • AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited May 2015
    I am trans avoidance, flying and diving did 1848 damage, I am terrible at math. Oh and max health was 5753. So by my (not reliable) math skills that means I should have taken about 1965 damage without avoidance?
  • Assuming you have nimble/quick-witted (I forgot about that), it looks like it's about 13.25%.

Can't be certain of exactly what it is unless I see more examples without nimble or quick-witted, but that estimate shouldn't be more than 0.1% off.
    Aereidhna said:
    So by my (not reliable) math skills that means I should have taken about 1965 damage without avoidance?
    2098. You have to do the multiplication before the addition.
  • I do have nimble. Nice to know how much of a difference avoidance makes in practice :)
  • After I spent most of my lessons on metamorph until I can't anymore (not trans yet) I put a lot into avoidance and it helps a lot.
    "Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair or beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
  • SarienoSarieno Spokane, WA
    I honestly feel like avoidance is one of those 'this is nice' skills that, while completely functional, you can totally survive without. My thoughts are to focus on class skills, vision, and survival before foraying into something like Avoidance.

twitter - @spacemanreno
  • The fact you have 33 Player kills and are only level 80 might have something to do with that. Anything above Squint in Vision is a nice to have, can definitely be lived without. You can live without Avoidance, sure, but if you're learning Vision instead you're unnecessarily limiting your ability to participate in both PvP and PvE at full potential, for next to no gain.
  • SarienoSarieno Spokane, WA
    I'm trans both, have been for years. From a filthy casual's perspective, that's how it is for me. If you'll forgive the lack of foresight (pun intended) on the vision comment, I think legitimately, class skills and survival are more important than Avoidance.

twitter - @spacemanreno
  • Wouldn't that be up to the individuals play style?