Misses Bard

So after my return to Achaea a few days ago I've decided to try out the Bard class for the first time. I've been hunting a lot needless to say. It's been real and all, but I can't seem to hit much of anything with the pointy end of my blade. I'd say I miss a quarter or a fifth of the time. Is this typical? What do I need to be doing about it? Is it my equipment? Also how much does leather armor really help? Should I be in any great rush to purchase some? Any tips for the development of a young Bardly man would be very helpful!

Yours Truly

Me!

Comments

• Learn more swashbuckling, get a training rapier until it's high enough, make sure it's song-blessed (all of them should be, except maybe any old rapiers that were forged before the forging changes).

Leather armour won't make a huge difference, but it's cheap so there's no reason not to get some.
  • Will do! I even dumped some in weaponry learn weapon probe, does weaponry effect my attacks as well? I know it did back in the day when I played a Paladin. By training rapier are we talking about the one you recieve in the tutorial? Also I've been using tune in voicecraft to boost my defenses, but I was wondering if that is passive or do I need to sing a tune ever so often?
  • You don't need weaponprobe anymore now that all weapons are standardized. Bards only benefit from Swashbuckling as far as I know, too. Tune just needs to be sung once and then it stays until you log off or it's stripped by something (check DEF in-game to see your defenses).
  • Alright thanks to the both of you! Also this is a bit unrelated, but I'm not a big fan of the task centric tutorial I prefer to do my own thing. So is their a way to join The Scions without completing the tasks that eventually lead me to joining a house? Oh! One more thing, thoughts on a shield for a bard? Pointless? Necessary?
  • Training rapiers (and training versions of any other weapon) can be bought in New Thera or forged by players. They have lower damage and speed, but much higher accuracy.

Bucklers are almost entirely useless. They're still better than nothing, so if you have nothing better to do with your gold you might as well pick one up, but it's safe to just ignore them. Once you learn harmonics you'll need to wield an instrument, and it's not worth the hassle of switching back and forth between an instrument and shield, so at that point you shouldn't bother with them.
  • edited May 2015
    Carbrey said:
    Also this is a bit unrelated, but I'm not a big fan of the task centric tutorial I prefer to do my own thing. So is their a way to join The Scions without completing the tasks that eventually lead me to joining a house?
    The tasks really are worth doing. They'll teach you basic commands and concepts and the city-specific ones will teach you about the city. They're also very short and there aren't that many of them. It might still be possible to join the Scions without doing the tasks, but they're so short and easy that you may as well just grit and bear it.
  • Carbrey said:
    Alright thanks to the both of you! Also this is a bit unrelated, but I'm not a big fan of the task centric tutorial I prefer to do my own thing. So is their a way to join The Scions without completing the tasks that eventually lead me to joining a house? Oh! One more thing, thoughts on a shield for a bard? Pointless? Necessary?
    More or less what Tael said. The city novicehood tasks are designed to teach you a bit about Eleusis and the two Houses (where stuff is, where to go, basic ideologies, that sort of thing), so you may as well complete them - they don't take very long.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Sena said:
    Once you learn harmonics you'll need to wield an instrument, and it's not worth the hassle of switching back and forth between an instrument and shield, so at that point you shouldn't bother with them.
    I know I'm going to forum hell for disagreeing with Sena, but I disagree. Once your harmonics are played, you only need to wield your instrument to push the harmonics into an adjacent room, so you can wield your shield most of the time and switch to instrument for the short period you need to bagatelle. Calling harmonics doesn't require instrument to be wielded eithr.

There's an OOC clan for bards, CLANHELP BARDS, any member can induct.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • It's also trivial when you can add WIELD BUCKLER RAPIER to your bashing alias.
  • Even if it's easy and you don't often need to switch, I still wouldn't bother just for 5/5 armour.
  • Mrs. Bard, eh?

• Yeah well I was missing a lot and then there's the brand of bread Mrs. Bairds! Thought it a clever play on words
  • I hope I run into you in Loosis, Carbrey.