Class Concepts

13»

Comments

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Kinda my point, though. The "balance" of Wizard was simply that most people didn't want to do all that work, and so were mediocre Wizards. A good Wizard who did their homework, knew what they were up against, and planned spells accordingly was almost unbeatable, and Psionics were the same way (without all the extra work!). The DM literally had to plan the entire campaign/encounters around those characters just to challenge them.

Unfortunately, that's not an option in Achaea, which means those concepts would have to be watered down so much that you wouldn't even recognize them anymore. I hear what you're saying. I played D&D for years, and after playing a Wizard for the first time, I simply couldn't enjoy anything else; it was just too much fun. But that format just doesn't gel with Achaea's setup. :(  Best you could hope for is something like Shaman's new Spiritlore, where you "prepare" your spirit bindings ahead of time, but that's about where the resemblance ends.

-- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    So the things I think I want aren't really new classes just a couple of theme/lore changes. 

First, I want Occultists to drop tarot. Tarot is a hell of a skill and soooooo handy, but I've never really liked skills that are shared between classes. When it comes to changes or classleads it makes tweaking shoddy or a bit bumbly. Also, I feel it's kind of dumb that the Occultists ditched necromancy ages ago but never came up with an alternative to a magick that we've mostly considered to be tertiary soooooo. I want a ritual skillset based around the different colored rays and manipulation of the aura. Essentially, it'd be a bit like spirits where each ray had a purpose or set of skills. The purpose of each ray is actually heavily established in our lore. I think it'd be an awesome change.

ok my other idea. I really want a chaos twists nature class or at least the chance to multiclass Druid and occultist. I want that sort of high dark magic, twisting creation RP so bad that I've considered leaving Ashtan and starting my own group just to practice it. I've always disliked the bringing people back to Loosis by forcing the factional aspect decision. I think there was a lot of reason for people to want to be a bad or dark Druid. Even a class to that effect would be awesome though maybe unwarranted. Maybe instead of having groves they'd pick a spot  in a cave. They'd be more in tune with bending the planet to their will instead of trying to save it
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Jinsun said:
    So the things I think I want aren't really new classes just a couple of theme/lore changes. 

First, I want Occultists to drop tarot. Tarot is a hell of a skill and soooooo handy, but I've never really liked skills that are shared between classes. When it comes to changes or classleads it makes tweaking shoddy or a bit bumbly. Also, I feel it's kind of dumb that the Occultists ditched necromancy ages ago but never came up with an alternative to a magick that we've mostly considered to be tertiary soooooo. I want a ritual skillset based around the different colored rays and manipulation of the aura. Essentially, it'd be a bit like spirits where each ray had a purpose or set of skills. The purpose of each ray is actually heavily established in our lore. I think it'd be an awesome change.

ok my other idea. I really want a chaos twists nature class or at least the chance to multiclass Druid and occultist. I want that sort of high dark magic, twisting creation RP so bad that I've considered leaving Ashtan and starting my own group just to practice it. I've always disliked the bringing people back to Loosis by forcing the factional aspect decision. I think there was a lot of reason for people to want to be a bad or dark Druid. Even a class to that effect would be awesome though maybe unwarranted. Maybe instead of having groves they'd pick a spot  in a cave. They'd be more in tune with bending the planet to their will instead of trying to save it
    I started reading this post with "lol, please no" which turned into "wow, terrible idea" and finished with "okay, those are actually cool". Stop playing with my brain dude, it's too early.  
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Which is terrible and which is good?
  • MaraxMarax The Scriptorium
    Unfortunately, without doing something like Imperian's good forest/evil forest, I can't see what evil druids bring to the table that good druids don't? At an essential level, druidic lore is about respect for nature and, unironically, reclamation of deforested areas. "Good" druids that attempt to submerge a city in vines and trees are "evil" druids to the citizens of that city.

I get, perhaps, what your saying about a dark druidic class...but with "Nature" as it's own faction, it's tough to flesh out a "dark druid" that isn't just hell-bent on reclaiming everything. It's also ridiculous to try and RP a Druid that not Eleusian in most senses in Achaea anyway.
    (<clan>): Kuy says, "Gurl, I could talk myself outta Alkatraz."
  • I always liked the idea of a Barbarian class, had an idea for it a while ago and while I could never come up with a third skill idea I liked the idea of trying to combine Barbarian strength and Savagery with sense of spiritualism.

This is all real rough and I didn't give much thought to what would and wouldn't be OP

You'd have your primary combat skill with a rage resource that would build sort of like Kai or shin. Rage would build with your basic attacks and then have the powerful abilities scattered through the skill to spend it on. The class would also start out with a basic weapon proficiency ( couldn't ever decide which ). The skill itself would resemble a cross between weapon mastery and tekura, with the ability to chain weapon and unarmed strikes and involving some wrestling like take-downs and throws. 

It would be inspired in part by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glima 

The spiritual side could function similar to how the new Shaman spirits work, allowing you to call on great warrior and ancestral spirits for utility and buffs.  

More recently 

I also thought it would be fun to go further into the bombs that already exist, pair it with formulation as a second skill and something like sabotage as third to build sort of a combat engineer or sapper class.

It's something that probably couldn't be done here but I always liked the Herald of Xotli class from Age of Conan. It was classed a mage so you only had cloth armour, but started with a two handed weapon skills and got into some fire and demon magic and the ability to briefly turn yourself into a demon.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    edited April 2015
    Jinsun said:
    Which is terrible and which is good?
    It took me a second to realize what you were saying.  Chaos trying to grow trees is terrible.  Chaos trying to control planet is awesome. My thoughts changed as I read on. Very neat idea.

Edit: don't give up tarot, though.  It meshes very nicely.