Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Alternatives to Ring of Flying and Wings and teleporting room.

SilvarienSilvarien Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
Hi there,

Fairly minor and innocuous suggestion, but it would do some for flavor. Some time ago, people were asking for I think the Lasallian Lyre to be offered as bagpipes, and it was offered, on auction. I believe @Kyrra won it? I am not totally sure on that.

There are many items in mythology that can be equated with the Ring of Flying or the various Wings. Icarus's shoes from Greek mythology, the flying carpet from Middle Eastern stories and the flying broom. The function doesn't have to be different, but it would be pretty cool to see a person flying with glowing winged shoes or sitting on a broom. The function would be the same as Ring of Flying. Alternatively, the item might be offered as a two-in-one of Ring of Flying and Eagle Wings.

An innovation on the whole scheme could be a room of teleportation within someone's home, sold as a Housing upgrade for room credits like no-prism rooms. Add the housing upgrade to a room, say a magic word (different from Duanathar,) and you're taken to Clouds. I don't imagine it'll ever become ultra popular, because wings can be used anywhere outside, while this can only be used in one room in one place. The one boon is it's an indoor thing. But, it would be an interesting upgrade, if implemented.

Thank you for reading my idea.
TreyAereidhnaShimiYen

Comments

  • TreyTrey Member Posts: 4,819 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I'm not particularly keen on the flying broom, but the teleportation chamber as a housing upgrade might be interesting. Two suggestions to garner more interest -

    A. Either a smaller set of possible destinations that you bypass the clouds altogether with (speak the command word and get transported directly there) or

    B. A single destination that you can select and redesignate 1/Achaean month, sort of like a reverse Hermit or Raido. Cannot be in any city/temple you are enemied to, villages are ok. Must be physically in the room you wish to recalibrate the teleport to.

    SilvarienAereidhnaTharvisKyrra
  • NimNim Member Posts: 2,015 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Ignoring the whole "alternative target destination" part of this idea, I wish you could customize base item types in general. About the only ones I like as-is... really, just shadowcloak. I don't even like blademaster bands! (why can't they be enchanted scabbards?)
    Iskla
  • SilvarienSilvarien Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    @Trey : the teleportation to a room other than Clouds would definitely be more interesting, but the potential for abuse is substantial and all the angles would need to be worked out so that doesn't happen.
  • TreyTrey Member Posts: 4,819 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Silvarien said:
    @Trey : the teleportation to a room other than Clouds would definitely be more interesting, but the potential for abuse is substantial and all the angles would need to be worked out so that doesn't happen.
    I'm not sure where the potential for abuse comes in. A one-way teleport from a fixed location to a semi-fixed location?

  • SilvarienSilvarien Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Trey said:
    Silvarien said:
    @Trey : the teleportation to a room other than Clouds would definitely be more interesting, but the potential for abuse is substantial and all the angles would need to be worked out so that doesn't happen.
    I'm not sure where the potential for abuse comes in. A one-way teleport from a fixed location to a semi-fixed location?
    @Trey : As long as the location to be teleported to can't be exploited to OP proportions, I think it'll be okay. What I am thinking is, a 23-year-old gets paid 50 credits, makes a destination target to some sensitive place where it's allowed. For example, you said not in a place where you're enemied, but for 50 cr a non-enemy will put the target in, say, Targossas, and next thing they know, 16 Ashtani are exactly where the Ashtani want to be. Eliminate all things like that, and yeah, I think it's no problem.
  • SilvarienSilvarien Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Silvarien said:

    Alternatives to ... Wings
    a zeppelin flying high in the stratosphere (maybe powered by like buoyant gases given off by a trapped fire elemental so it never needs to land to refuel) that sends down a zipline for you every time you fire up a flare to alert your crew of goggle-wearing monkeys

    a book that you write your destination into and then it sucks you inside into a temporary paper world of semi-fictional quasi-reality and closes upon itself

    TARDIS house vwoorp vwoorp

    a giant burrowing star-nosed mole rat with a contractually bound imp rider who comes to "collect" you whenever you stamp your feet three times, by yanking you down into the earth and taking you down to an underground cavern (where he farms fungi to make mushroom wine), and then digs a burrow for you to your destination

    an invisible lighthouse on the threshold of the realms of living and dead that sweeps an invisible beam of light across the continent, beckoning lost souls, and that's why ghosts mainly only haunt houses or graveyards or dark underground places (because they're blocked from the light), and you're charged with its stewardship, and any time you ring the bell the beam of light fixes upon you and beams you up to the lighthouse, so you can say hi to the spectral residents and then beam down to your destination

    like, a stick of chalk that you can use to draw a door to an in-between place (what am I ripping off with this? Night Watch? Neverwhere? Pan's Labyrinth?), which contains permanently painted doorways to a few fixed locations

    a giant bird that swoops down and carries you into the sky and then soars down with you to your destination like in Skyward Sword Original Idea 2015 ©
    Yeah, I read about 1.4 sentences of that troll and tuned out. Your 10 minutes of time were well-spent! I congratulate you.
  • KyrraKyrra AustraliaMember Posts: 4,924 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    @Silvarien that's correct. I kept the original description it came with too.

    a set of prismatic bagpipes

    Splayed tenors radiate out from the set of bagpipes left here.

    Piquant quaver-shaped gemstones running down the cocobolo bass drone dance the fine line between 
    luxurious and gaudy, the resulting shards of refracted light flickering over the silvery hide bag 
    with the instrument's movement. The clouded mouthpiece is a single length of hollowed crystal, 
    swirled through with trapped bubbles during its creation. Imprinted on the chanter, the pale 
    silhouette of a kilted piper stands out clearly against the handsome wood, matching the ivory 
    ferrules. Contrasting sable suede protects the bagpipes' seam, and braided silver cording connects 
    all three tenors, culminating in a festive tassel.

    You blow on a set of prismatic bagpipes, and a prismatic barrier forms around you.

    I don't remember the exact message that everyone else sees, but it's something along the lines of an obnoxious piercing noise offending eardrums before the prismatic barrier goes up. The first time I used them on the battlements after I won the auction, Dunn literally threw me out of the city. They're awesome. It's a different mechanic for them to work (blow instead of strum) and I had to get Vadi to help me configure Svo so I could use them in place of the lyre commands.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

    Trilliana
  • BlujixapugBlujixapug Member Posts: 1,833 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Silvarien said:

    Yeah, I read about 1.4 sentences of that troll and tuned out. Your 10 minutes of time were well-spent! I congratulate you.
    I wasn't trolling :( Sorry that you did not enjoy my ideas. I rarely attempt to troll anyone, and never in the ideas forum.
    image
    MelodieTheris
  • TreyTrey Member Posts: 4,819 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Silvarien said:
    Trey said:
    Silvarien said:
    @Trey : the teleportation to a room other than Clouds would definitely be more interesting, but the potential for abuse is substantial and all the angles would need to be worked out so that doesn't happen.
    I'm not sure where the potential for abuse comes in. A one-way teleport from a fixed location to a semi-fixed location?
    @Trey : As long as the location to be teleported to can't be exploited to OP proportions, I think it'll be okay. What I am thinking is, a 23-year-old gets paid 50 credits, makes a destination target to some sensitive place where it's allowed. For example, you said not in a place where you're enemied, but for 50 cr a non-enemy will put the target in, say, Targossas, and next thing they know, 16 Ashtani are exactly where the Ashtani want to be. Eliminate all things like that, and yeah, I think it's no problem.
    What. Why would anyone but the owner be able to redesignate the destination? 

  • MakaelaMakaela Member Posts: 353 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Silvarien said:

    Alternatives to ... Wings
    a zeppelin flying high in the stratosphere (maybe powered by like buoyant gases given off by a trapped fire elemental so it never needs to land to refuel) that sends down a zipline for you every time you fire up a flare to alert your crew of goggle-wearing monkeys
    I want this so much. You have no idea.

    a book that you write your destination into and then it sucks you inside into a temporary paper world of semi-fictional quasi-reality and closes upon itself

    TARDIS house vwoorp vwoorp

    a giant burrowing star-nosed mole rat with a contractually bound imp rider who comes to "collect" you whenever you stamp your feet three times, by yanking you down into the earth and taking you down to an underground cavern (where he farms fungi to make mushroom wine), and then digs a burrow for you to your destination

    an invisible lighthouse on the threshold of the realms of living and dead that sweeps an invisible beam of light across the continent, beckoning lost souls, and that's why ghosts mainly only haunt houses or graveyards or dark underground places (because they're blocked from the light), and you're charged with its stewardship, and any time you ring the bell the beam of light fixes upon you and beams you up to the lighthouse, so you can say hi to the spectral residents and then beam down to your destination
    This is also really cool.

    like, a stick of chalk that you can use to draw a door to an in-between place (what am I ripping off with this? Night Watch? Neverwhere? Pan's Labyrinth?), which contains permanently painted doorways to a few fixed locations

    a giant bird that swoops down and carries you into the sky and then soars down with you to your destination like in Skyward Sword Original Idea 2015 ©


  • SilvarienSilvarien Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Silvarien said:

    Yeah, I read about 1.4 sentences of that troll and tuned out. Your 10 minutes of time were well-spent! I congratulate you.
    I wasn't trolling :( Sorry that you did not enjoy my ideas. I rarely attempt to troll anyone, and never in the ideas forum.
    @Blujixapug : My apologies, I got the wrong idea. Sorry!
  • SynbiosSynbios Member Posts: 4,630 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Room of teleportation reminds me of Star Trek. Kek

    Silvarien
  • XithXith Member Posts: 2,602 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Trey said:
    I'm not particularly keen on the flying broom, but the teleportation chamber as a housing upgrade might be interesting. Two suggestions to garner more interest -

    A. Either a smaller set of possible destinations that you bypass the clouds altogether with (speak the command word and get transported directly there) or

    B. A single destination that you can select and redesignate 1/Achaean month, sort of like a reverse Hermit or Raido. Cannot be in any city/temple you are enemied to, villages are ok. Must be physically in the room you wish to recalibrate the teleport to.
    The Nest talisman from my Spellweaver class idea was like option B. Except you could only change every 12 months.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
Sign In to Comment.