Non-romantic apprentice, house servant, etc.

My character's background includes a story of growing up in Cyrene's subdivision, working from childhood for a household where her trickster nature had eventually caused enough frustration for her to be removed from her position. Nothing unreasonable there that I can perceive.

After a lot of years of wandering and mostly playing pranks on people in their groves, she misses the small level of security that came with steady work or a particular place safe to rest.

I thought about the benefit of joining a city or house, and I'm not at all interested in those dynamics. I'd much rather a one-one-one or one-to-few kind of long term roleplay. I imagine someone who is really interested in their craft to take on an apprentice to pass along their trade and have daily help. I imagine things that aren't always related to game mechanics alone. For example, instead of just things like "Go get x commodity for me," there could be a heavier emphasis on emotes -- for example: emote nods toward a small tin on the shelf while he/she expertly fillets [some kind of meat], "Some of that. Just a pinch, mind you." I imagine my character eagerly trying to succeed, but sometimes bumbling or falling into her trickster habit.

So I decided to occasionally mention a wistful desire to return to long term employment to a household or craftmaster.  I must be very terrible at communicating what I'm looking for because the almost universal misunderstanding is that I am somehow looking for a BDSM setup. I've heard, "Oh, they'll beat you up in Mhaldor if you want. They like that kind of thing."  I have nothing against BDSM. I enjoy an imbalance of power. I just really don't want to roleplay something sexualized.  A handmaiden of sorts who will plait a lady's hair or something is acceptable-- that's like the background, almost. I do believe it is possible to have this kind of thing without romance.

How can I possibly approach this in the game without sending the wrong kind of message? I accept I might not ever find this, but at least I'd like to avoid the BDSM assumption.

tl;dr: How do I tell people I want a master/apprentice relationship without them thinking I want a master/slave relationship?

Comments

• I think you just sort of find someone interested in the same general stuff, and try to become their apprentice. Step one is super important too though, otherwise it's sort of all meaningless fluff.

Like, Nim's been wanting an apprentice for a while, but she's a hardcore warrior monk type (thus, to echo your post, her crafts might be seen as combat and philosophy), who would probably make you spar with her twenty times before even accepting you, and then five thousand more after that, sooo unless you're into pvp, it'd probably not work out.

• I have managed sexualized versions of this in the past, and would likely be able to manage a non-sexualized version too. However, and this is the reason I will not propose that you enter my service is this:

I have limited time to spend on interpersonal RP, since I am always out and about, on mission, or working in the lab/extracting. To enter this with me would be dooming you to a lifetime of boredom and solitude.

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Go find a WM and tell them you want to enter the employ of their family.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Thanks for the insight, everyone.

I can see the benefit of seeking an individual who already has a story set up to accommodate this. I also see the benefit of making it very obvious that I'm not looking for something in bed.

I think I did fall into that trap of seeming like I might be open for something I'm not while assuming that others would just naturally know my intentions in that regard. 

... and what is a WM?
  • Tristitia said:
    Thanks for the insight, everyone.

I can see the benefit of seeking an individual who already has a story set up to accommodate this. I also see the benefit of making it very obvious that I'm not looking for something in bed.

I think I did fall into that trap of seeming like I might be open for something I'm not while assuming that others would just naturally know my intentions in that regard. 

... and what is a WM?
    He means House Wintermourne.
    Rival family to the Azagnannan Brood.

The Wintermournes are a mildly prominent Targossian family. 
  • edited April 2015
    Kit can use a slave to help her..

"Kit always gets blood everywhere."
    Medi says, "If kit says to show up somewhere, bring an apron."
    Medi says, "Rule of thumb."

• Someone actually suggested this to me a while back and while it sounded fun as hell I was way to worried people'd just kinda think it was the sexual thing I was looking for so I never went for it.

• I would love my own personal slave honestly, if anyone was actually interested in that. Granted that's just the Mhaldorian take on it.

If I had my own personal courier, butler or bashing ent, I think it would be hella fun to play out. Especially if you did it properly for long enough, you could actually get known for it.
    "Oh hrm, Aepas' slave has arrived. I wonder what message it brings."
    Sounds super awesome to me. And I think the really fun part would indeed be playing out to the part of the slaves sort of graduation, in which case I bestow with a large manor and a special weapon or something. So proud of my little slave growing up. -singletear-

Plus it would be a very interesting bond to grow, seeing as how a slave or butler or whatever could also offer their own insight into things at times.

The only problem I would see in this would really be that it might be boring after a time. Being at somebodies whim is a pretty neat idea in itself, but if you're just out hunting or doing something, it would be bothersome to get called back if you didn't really feel like you were in the mood for it. Then again, that's how I feel about raids. At the same time, I wouldn't want a slave to come asking me for things to do. Seems like there would have to be a good balance between the master giving day to day tasks to the servant, and the servant not being too pushy about wanting to well.. serve.

Still, while the dynamics itself might be a bit sticky to work out, do it! If that's what you want to do I think it would be a really interesting and unique role to play out. I would suggest more established players that actually have duties though, and could legitimately use help in small things while seeming that they are a higher person worthy of having a servant.

As far as the pet-play goes on the BDSM side, just really tell them that they have the wrong idea. And contrary to popular belief, Mhaldor does not engage in constant BDSM parties. As of right now they are a pretty rare occurance, usually after a Gala.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • I've gotten a lot more positive responses than I imagined. I don't think a system is really needed, though. It does look like a lot more people than just me would enjoy this kind of situation.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I am pretending to be a butler at the moment, but people get realy awkward about making me do things. Maybe i should have done it as a non carmain character.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    I am pretending to be a butler at the moment, but people get realy awkward about making me do things. Maybe i should have done it as a non carmain character.
    Well I gave you ONE job. And you failed miserably. I mean come on man!
  • edited April 2015
    I think in order to avoid the sexual misunderstanding, it helps if you don't make your query too generalised, but put an emphasis on wanting to learn a particular trade.

If you just randomly ask to "serve", people will easily misinterpret it in a sexual way, as it might seem strange that someone would simply wish to serve without a personal benefit in mind. If you, however, ask to be taught a certain trade, your motivation will be much more obvious and you're less likely to be misunderstood.

I think master/apprentice relationships are something really cool and may be fun to play out. They do, of course, have one particular disadvantage: the development of your character now depends a great lot on a single other person, who may or may not lose interest, become less active, or even go dormant after some time.

That's a problem with many mentors and one of the main reasons houses are so useful: they allow you to undergo some kind of "apprenticeship" as well, but base it on a wider range of individuals who can take over when someone becomes less active.

Still, I certainly don't want to discourage you from seeking that kind of one-on-one apprenticeship. Even if it doesn't hold up forever, it may work very well for a good while.
  • Seeking something specific is valuable advice. I think that would have helped me avoid a lot of the unwanted responses, though I wonder if it might also have closed the door to some opportunities. I did try to avoid the word "serve" after I saw it used in a sexual way. I have also begun to avoid the word "master" until/unless I specifically find a craftsman/apprentice situation.

Houses are probably for most people, for the reasons you stated. However, I want to only have one or a few people to answer to, to be able to easily move on when my character's employer goes inactive, and to avoid checklist rank climbing.

I am not too interested in permanence.
    Tibitha said:
    Mishgul said:
    Well I gave you ONE job. And you failed miserably. I mean come on man!
    You neveR replied to my question!

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • Aodfionn said:
    Go find a WM and tell them you want to enter the employ of their family.
    This. Will teach you to be badass.

Also: Siduri said:
    He means House Wintermourne.
    Rival family to the Azagnannan Brood.
    Why did no one inform me of this? 0_o

edited April 2015
    yeah since when do we have rivals

i demand Pokemon rival music.

• Aodfionn said:

@Siduri I will think about letting you be our rivals if you agree to the Pokemon music

• Antidas said:
    Aodfionn said:

@Siduri I will think about letting you be our rivals if you agree to the Pokemon music

• edited April 2015
    On-topic and pardon if my omniscient eldritch sight may have missed it, but @Tristitia, one way of avoiding lewd versions of your desired 'apprentice' RP is the strategic way you will be wording your request.

Terms such as 'slave' are likely to predispose you to partners who would like to assume the lewd horizontal tango with your character. However, terms like, say, 'minions', 'Mercedes lackey', 'black butler', 'Sith apprentice' will likely be more appropriate for what you are seeking in your one-on-one RP interaction.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    edited April 2015
    I could use a servant. I have a family house you could linger in. I have a shit ton of work to delegate and I'm open to trying a different sort of roleplay interaction. I can see this sort of RP becoming boring and stagnant in the end though, so if you're looking to pursue this thread of RP, I'd like that you at least have a plan of what your character will pursue once you lose interest in it. I am also capable of giving you tools to explore other avenues of RP!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

Its not boring at all!

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • edited April 2015
    Antidas said:
    Aodfionn said:

Pokemon music accepted.
    Bring it on!

• RuthRuth Singapore
    I don't think it's boring at all, but if you're going to play servant for a long time without spicing it up every so often, the relationship can start to become a little stale and routine!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"