Best spots for RP?

I'm considering rolling a newbie and I'm wondering if you guys have any advice on which cities and houses have the most active roleplay scenes, and what TYPE of RP these tend to focus on (eg, I hear Mhaldor is very hierarchical and authoritarian?). Also, are there any hot spots/gathering places people go for pick-up RP?

Comments

• Typical gathering places, for actual roleplay really rather vary depending on what you're looking for, and I wouldn't say they're necessarily hot spots regardless.

Do you know what kind of character or environment specifically you'd be looking for? That would help guide suggestions.
  • I'm not particularly picky. I'm more interested in what types/quantity/quality various orgs have. 
  • Very helpful @ayami. Could you elaborate a bit more on what Mhaldor is like? The website makes it sound kinda ham-handed, over-the-top evil, but I'm guessing there is more to it than that.

• that is all.
    "Kit always gets blood everywhere."
    Medi says, "If kit says to show up somewhere, bring an apron."
    Medi says, "Rule of thumb."

• Most Mhaldorians RP as wrinkly old folk, got it. ;)
  • clouds is where all the serious rp is.
  • You could try RPWHO, though the number of people using it at any one time is generally, well, low.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Everyone is splitting the RP types into cities but you have to remember that the differing houses have different RP styles as well. I can't go through every single house but reading the help files will give you a small hint on what to expect.
  • From what I can tell, Mhaldor enforces a stricter RP environment, given that misbehavior/immaturity is actually punishable(unlike other cities). However, it's not without its downsides - depending on personal taste, the sort of RP found there is either off-putting or not. The rest of the cities are really dependent on your choice of flavor, I think.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    I've only been in Targossas for a week or so, but I enjoy the RP there. There's a variety of opportunities, and it's very newbie friendly as you get yourself situated. But basically my character is devoting her time to learning what Good is (and the resources are there to give you a nice basic grasp early on) and how to serve Good. I don't want to say it's militaristic, but you're expected to find a role and serve, without being pushed too much all at once. 

I've had several conversations that have gone a bit deeper into philosophy and that's just within a week. 
  • Crystal Leaf Inn.

• Nearing Lake Vundamere
  • If you are looking for a specific location, might I recommend the Red Square? Bring friends!
  • Welcome to Mhaldor, where littering is punishable by death! Complaining about Mhaldor's laws is considered "Verbal Littering ".

• You'll love Mhaldor. Come on and jump in. The water is fine.

“There is no greater sorrow than thinking back upon a happy time in misery--”

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Harmonia is a good spot to RP in

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • SethSeth North Carolina
    You can always greet @Rangor!
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Poaching the frustrated RP community from other factions isn't good for the game; we should probably keep it down about how much we ove-lay alldoor-may.
  • edited April 2015
    I'm coming here from the fascist army guild in Aetolia so I'm not really turned off by authoritarian RP. Is there room for non com types would be my next question, like a more scholarly or scientific role or does PK/combat factor a lot into the RP? Also which house focuses on what?

Edit: in Mhaldor (going to roll a newb there I think to start with but won't be spending money for a bit until I know I'm feeling it so please feel free to talk about other orgs as I may roll another newb or two just to compare).
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Plenty of room for all sorts in both Houses, including individuals for whom PvP is of tertiary concern. There are currently more active PvP enthusiasts in the Dread Legates, but they are actively recruiting and working to support other RP archetypes, too. I personally find the Insidium HT to be a little more noisy and collegial, which I like in an evil academy and faculty lounge.

• Mhaldor definitely has room for non-coms, though there's mild pressure for those that aren't newbies anymore to help with the occasional city defense and such. If people know you're a clueless newbie though they won't even hint that you should defend unless you show you want to. The Dread Legates is essentially the 'face' of Mhaldor and handles aggressive and visible things. This isn't just combat, but it also means that they're mostly the more blatant in their attempts at proselytizing or conversion, meant to spread Evil in straightforward ways. The Insidium is the 'sneaky' house you could say. They focus more on subtle manipulation, spying, and their conversion attempts would be more slowly brainwashing a single target by ideology. Both houses are more explained in a chelp in Mhaldor, which compares the different kind of archetypes for each house.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    For an unparalleled mudsex RP experience, nothing beats the Patio behind the Brass Lantern Inn.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Depending on the character you want to make, I think Targ and Eleusis have the most undeveloped RP potential for badassery. 
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Aodfionn said:
    Depending on the character you want to make, I think Targ and Eleusis have the most undeveloped RP potential for badassery. 
    Can you elaborate on why?