How to earn gold?

edited April 2015 in General Questions
IS ratting and catching butterflies the only reliable ways to get gold, I have found a few quests that give me some cash but they are often hunted out.

Is fishing worth the investment? or getting access to sewers for more rats? 
Would selling credits on the market be worthwhile?

TIA

Best Answers

Answers

• Jeslyn said:
    Goats+rabbits+actar+farming every 15 minutes=$$$

Make sure to kill the nymph. ;)
    Aye that is one of the quests i have found however the cyclops is always dead :\
  • JeslynJeslyn United States
    edited April 2015
    Yeah kill the nymph, if you don't want to...either keep the javelin until it decays or icewall the cyclops
  • TitonusTitonus Youngstown, Ohio
    I actually still rat from time to time...

• Quests are the best, most consistent way to get gold at low and mid levels. Catching butterflies is good one at very early levels, but there are better quests out there.

Hunting doesn't become very lucrative until very high levels, when creatures start to drop significant amounts of gold. But there are some NPCs who will pay you for certain corpses, like the Pixie Queen who'll pay for dead imps, which makes hunting a bit more lucrative in some places. Hunting at any level requires you pay for supplies like health potions, which cuts into your earnings.

I suggest you explore different areas, greet the NPCs, and try to find some quests. That way even if someone has recently done the quests in an area, you can go somewhere else.

I don't think fishing is worthwhile. The profit margins are very slim.

The sewers are interesting - and Survival is worth learning for other reasons - but they're not really a goldmine.

Selling credits is probably not a good idea. Early on, you're better off using them for lessons to learn skills.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Sena said:

Laying in an alley and begging for spare change will probably be faster than chasing butterflies.
     I laughed.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • I've gotten into the habit of pretty much making Moghedu my home away from home, and a living hell for all the Mhun for whom it is actually home. (I spare none, and laugh when the women and juveniles try to run.) Serves a joint purpose of earning enough gold to make a little bit of a profit, as well as keep on up the level grinding. I'm 77 now, (I think?) and should be 78 before much longer, and I usually try to keep a cushion of about 10k in my pack. Frankly, I've just learned to live with being poor. Makes sense for a slave in Mhaldor to not really be swimming in disposable income... If I ever desperately need just a few hundred more gold for something I'll sometimes rat, but I generally deplore ratting.