D&D interest?

I'm considering starting up a D&D 5e campaign soon and decided to gauge interest from the Achaea community.  Would probably start tomorrow, or sometime this week.

I'd run the campaign, and would need 4 dedicated players to play. Not necessarily all Achaeans. I have other players I can bring in too.

Only requirements are:
1. You're free on a lot of USA evenings(before and after serenade time IG). 
2. You're interested in D&D
3. Microphone/sound.

I don't mind new players. 5e is a pretty easy system to get into, and this campaign will be pretty relaxed. Probably no more than 4 hour sessions at a time. Would meet basically whenever. Few times a month.

If you're interested in the concept but don't have a clue, I don't mind showing how things work. Send me a PM/message/skype or something.

Comments

• I wasn't really a fan of 5th, it's not as bad as 4. 
    Any idea what sort of campaign you would run?

• edited April 2015
    I've been giving it some thought, and I'm most likely going to be running a professionally written and released adventured called "Lost Mines of Phandelver". Don't look that up, for spoilers, obviously. It is a pretty classic D&D setting set in Forgotten Realms.   It's a level 1-5 adventure that would span the course of about five average length sessions(Probably about a month or two of RL time). It looks like a pretty fun and well balanced adventure setting. Beyond that, we may or may not continue, depending on what everyone wants.

D&D 5e is something I'm fairly new to. I'm pretty experienced with D&D 3.5e, and 3.5 is my favourite system. I've DM'd a couple of campaigns for it. 

This'll be my first for D&D 5. It's not as complex or engrossing as the 3.5 system, but it has a simplistic charm to it, and I like some of the mechanics. Definitely interested in giving it some play.

I will probably open this up to the mass public if I can't get enough interests here, but I know there's been some D&D interest in the past from Achaeans, so I figured I'd give first dibs to any Achaeans who wanted to play/learn. 

Like I said, if you're completely new, I'm fine with that. D&D 5 isn't that complicated and you can get into it just fine. Just need skype, a mic, and some free time.

• Would kill to do this  but the time is wrong for me. :(
  • edited April 2015
    The time is potentially flexible. I just know that more often than not, the majority of people are likely going to be free on USA evenings more than any other time.

Personally, the only time I'm really 'not' willing to run sessions is during the morning my time. Which is around 10:00 to 16:00 GMT time. Anytime other than that, I can potentially be flexible with. Don't think many other people could attend at that time either, since it's late for Australians, morning for Americans, and early afternoon for Euros. 

I can potentially do afternoons, evenings, nights, and 'late' nights on USA time. 

If we can find 4 people that are available on the same 4 hour stretch on the same day, then I'll try to accomodate it.

• 10pm- 2am central time and I'm in. Work hours suck :(

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I have no issue with that time period whatsoever. I'm awake 95% of the time at those hours.

• edited April 2015
    Santar said:
    I've been giving it some thought, and I'm most likely going to be running a professionally written and released adventured called "Lost Mines of Phandelver". Don't look that up, for spoilers, obviously. It is a pretty classic D&D setting set in Forgotten Realms.   It's a level 1-5 adventure that would span the course of about five average length sessions(Probably about a month or two of RL time). It looks like a pretty fun and well balanced adventure setting. Beyond that, we may or may not continue, depending on what everyone wants.

D&D 5e is something I'm fairly new to. I'm pretty experienced with D&D 3.5e, and 3.5 is my favourite system. I've DM'd a couple of campaigns for it. 

This'll be my first for D&D 5. It's not as complex or engrossing as the 3.5 system, but it has a simplistic charm to it, and I like some of the mechanics. Definitely interested in giving it some play.

I will probably open this up to the mass public if I can't get enough interests here, but I know there's been some D&D interest in the past from Achaeans, so I figured I'd give first dibs to any Achaeans who wanted to play/learn. 

Like I said, if you're completely new, I'm fine with that. D&D 5 isn't that complicated and you can get into it just fine. Just need skype, a mic, and some free time.
    Having DMed Lost Mines of Phandelver for my home group, I have to say it is a very nice choice to get your players started.

I've had less success with the online game running Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

Though you might want to look into Princes of the Apocalypse when it comes out.

EDIT: To be clear, HoDQ turned out to be a weird railroad scenario with not a lot of sense into it and design flaws. The first chapter in itself is horrendeous. It looks nice when you read the thing, but it'll get messy fast when your players start asking questions.

• I'm game.

I'm good pretty much all week except early afternoon to late night ( 21:00- 6:00 GMT) monday and wednesday. I played in 3e, 3.5e, and Pathfinder, but not 4e or 5e.

I've participated in several games with my circle of friends and run a few myself. While they were always fairly short home-made campaigns, we've had some great times and memorable incidents and jokes. Never been a part of a professionally written campaign, so this sounds like a good learning experience.

Since this would be the first time I would be playing 5e, I don't have any of the literature for it, so I would need more information about the rules and such.
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • edited April 2015
    Oops. Meant to link their overview video not on the front page of their site but didn't notice in time to edit

• You don't need to sell roll20 to me.

It's the only thing I use.

• Id love to join in this, but my time zones are weird (5pm - 10pm GMT) and I'm away this week
  • edited April 2015
    So far I have

-2 people interested in the 6-11 GMT time period
    -1 person interested in 17-22 GMT time period
    -1 person interested in 2-6 GMT time period
    -1 unspecified.
    - 1 free, "all the time except on 2100-0600 on mondays and wednesdays"

Oh lawd.

So I guess if I put all that info together, we potentially have three people for the 6-11 GMT, though I don't know for sure if @Dortheron is free for that. It'd be 3:00 AM-7 AM for me on the east coast. Which I don't really mind. 

If Dortheron can do that schedule, then we could potentially be good to go with one more broken sleep schedule/Australian to fill out the part.

If not, then we probably have at least 2 players ready in some other time zone.

• I'll play, I'm a never sleeping euro

• like I said, I'm good except for those days, but I'll clarify that I can't come Monday at 21 GMT to 6 GMT Tuesday + Wednesday 21 GMT to 6 GMT Thursday. Otherwise I'm fine
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • edited April 2015
    I am interested.  I am available most evenings. /i do work two jobs but I get my schedule an entire month in advance.'

Never played 5e but I want to give it a try

I live in CA so PST which is GMT-8

• edited April 2015
    Sounds like we have 4 then, if everyone confirms.

@Dortheron Doesn't sound like your times will restrict at all since we wouldn't be starting until 0700 or 0730 GMT time.

To confirm times, we would be starting at about 0700 to 0730 GMT, and end at about 1100-1130 GMT. Generally, the days played would probably be during the week, if that suits everyone.

The players involved in this speculative group are @Dortheron @Khaibit @Tahquil and Trance.

I'd be open to taking a fifth player for the group as well, providing you can make the time zone. Four is the classic number for a group, but I'm fine with five if another wants to join in. 

If that time zone/group falls through, could probably almost have enough players now for a late evening/early night USA time group.

• If it were 3.5......
    "Kit always gets blood everywhere."
    Medi says, "If kit says to show up somewhere, bring an apron."
    Medi says, "Rule of thumb."

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I need to get the books for 5e at some point. I am usually free at friday between 8pm and 1am gmt or saturday 8pm and 1am gmt, but I also am sporadically called out randomly so I can't fully commit to a schedule.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I'd be down if you decided to go with something other than 5e (Not asking to tailor it to me, but if it changes poke me).

• Gods, I would love this. I love 5e. I'm about to start having rehearsals all through May and June - is there any way, if you all are still playing in July, that I could hop in? Pretty please?
  • I'd live to play. I've never had a chance to play before but I'm in EST so time is a bit early
  • edited April 2015
    Okay, so, if the GMT 7-11 crew all confirms, we'll play that.

If not, seems like we've had enough interest to start up a game for evenings/early nights EST time as a fall back.

We'll see how it goes. And as far as the future, I'm pretty much always doing something D&D related(with some breaks thrown in). I'm sure I'll run another game at some point.

• works for me

• I got a manual.. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Some light bedtime reading...
  • Would anyone be interested in 3.5? I normally DM and wouldn't mind throwing something together over Skype or mumble.

• edited April 2015
    I'm interested in D&D, but I'm an Aussie and thus limited to Australian times. Which means I'm not available 1400-0800 Monday-Friday as I work full-time. But I'm available a lot more of a Saturday (usually all day, Australia time. Which is GMT+10 FYI)

I've only got a hardcopy book of Pathfinder, but willing to acquire more or buy more if necessary (I do also have the book for w40k Black Crusade, but this thread is just D&D). Would depend on what times and days people are willing to do games. I'd rather do weekends (Saturday pref) only, as my Friday and Tuesday nights are extensively booked for the foreseeable future.

@Kitiara what kind of times would you be planning on running yours? I've already heard @Santar's although not which days it'd run. Timezones can be so limiting :disappointed: 
  • We're gonna be doing Wednesdays and Thursdays GMT time 0700-1100, give or take 30.

• @Kitiara - two questions for you. What time/days are you thinking of playing? I yearn to be a melee fighter that doesn't get overshadowed by the spellcasters level 6+. If I'm playing, can I rock the Book of Nine Swords?

• Trey said:
    @Kitiara - two questions for you. What time/days are you thinking of playing? I yearn to be a melee fighter that doesn't get overshadowed by the spellcasters level 6+. If I'm playing, can I rock the Book of Nine Swords?
    Yes of course. I'm EST probably like weekend 5pm or so. I work during the week full time and prefer the weekend.