Munn or Mewn or something else?

2»

Comments

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Mal like Male, I think. 
  • Mal like Maleficient.
  • Sarapis said:
    Jukilian said:
    I will forever pronounce Mhaldor as Mal-door. Sorry!
    But that's the correct pronunciation! Not sure why you're apologizing!
    Mal like the captain of the Serenity
  • edited April 2015
    Edit nvm phone won't let me post jt
  • Klendathu said:
    Mall as in Pall Mall? ;)
    I legitimately laughed out loud, but there's no more LOL to indicate that fact! I'm curious about how many non-Brits would get the joke though.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Sarapis said:
    Jukilian said:
    I will forever pronounce Mhaldor as Mal-door. Sorry!
    But that's the correct pronunciation! Not sure why you're apologizing!
    They're pronouncing "mal" as in "malice" or "malcontent".

As opposed to "mall-ice" or "mall-content".
  • True, true. Well, it's Mall-door in any case, but if you want to pronounce it as Kettleoffish nobody is really going to know!
  • Sarapis said:
    True, true. Well, it's Mall-door in any case, but if you want to pronounce it as Kettleoffish nobody is really going to know!
      Well, at least until the new Achaea client completes its integrated voice chat, right?
  • TitonusTitonus Youngstown, Ohio
    I can't wait for the live action gui combat system with voice support comes out that everyone has been talking about. Been looking for a good reason to use this new video card!

• I pronounce 'Mall' as 'Mawl'. So do you mean Mawl-door or no?

I think that's where the confusion is coming from.
  • mal = bell
    mall = small

I associated Mhal = mal, the negative prefix, as in malus, malice, maledict, malady etc, and therefore pronounce it in the same way.

Irrelevant fact: 'cellar door' is described as among the most phonaesthetically pleasant phrases in the English language. There's a whole wikipedia page on this, with Tolkien among the earliest to comment on how totes awes it sounds. And Mhaldor rhymes with it.
  • ITT: people who pronounce every word ever stupidly. 

• cooper rhymes with pooper
  • Cooper said:

Cooper is easy to pronounce. The C is like the X in xylophone, the first o sounds like y in funny. The second o is silent. P sounds like the word copper, and the per part weirdly sounds like a cat purring.

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    You need to work on your cooping skills. 
  • Cooper no Cooping.