Gods respond positively to all comments...

Why are you banning people for their opinions?

I am scared to even write in the forums...I might get banned for my attitude and freedom of speech?

When did this turn into a Ban of our dedicated players?

Comments

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Excuse my saying so, but you do not strike me as being very afraid to post.
  • Everyone should be able to speak easy, and this happens to be here.  Thank you for responding @Herenicus.

• Thank you @Treyal, for that.

• Rip, can you (carefully if necessary) give more detail about the sort of things you mean?  We are going through some forum changes right now, and once it shakes out things might be... better.  Moderation right now is definitely volatile at times (and I'd hope for less volatility over the long haul), but it's probably got some overarching advantages for where we're at. 
  • @Jules, I appreciate your comment, this has everything to do with any forums changes.

• @Nim, be your Avatar in game and be yourself in the forum.  That's why it is here.  Speak freely.

• @Herenicus, I agree with you.  Thank you for your post.

• I guess it all depends on who you are talking about being banned for their opinion as I believe we have had a few bans lately for differing reasons.
  • @Tahquil, I also agree...thank you for your comment.

• I also think you are mistaking yourself for a God.
  • Thank you for that @Tahquil, however, do not mistake me for a God.

• He's just doing God's work, that's all.
  • Thank you for that @Nim.

• Thank you @Chord for your response. - Everyone speaks freely here.

• How many drugs are you on.

• Thank you @Hasar for your comment.

• Very funny @Herenicus, thank you.

• edited April 2015
    Chord said:
    Rip said:
    freedom of speech?
    Relevant:
    https://xkcd.com/1357/

Online in particular, it can also mean that someone has stumbled into any number of places where people have self-segregated into incredibly like-minded groups with almost zero tolerance for points of view that conflict with the group's norm (which we can now do much more easily and to a far greater degree than would have been possible before).  And when people from those groups visit other groups with different norms, it's basically probably incredibly stressful for them, because they're used to everyone mirroring each other to such a high degree. 

An interesting case in point actually happened on these forums sometime back where a poster felt that this statement (comma fucker is the English translation of the term Finns use for "grammar Nazi") was an incredibly offensive rape joke: 

"I just want to smite you both rite now, comma fuckers (really I just want to use my new favorite word).  If you want to see terrible text speak, I could share some of my dad's e-mails in 50 point font?  Guys?"

Lucky for me, I was well within this community's norms, but I bet there really are places where the poster who was so offended would have been backed up by like-minded people (and possibly moderators). 

In the same vein, if the internet isn't categorized as a utility of some kind, and by that I mean an essential mode of communication that we recognize as... essential, but rather as something exclusively private, and more of a privilege than a necessity, well, yes, that means you have no specific right to use it, and that the companies who provide it can and should be able to choose who has what level of access and at what cost.  Anyway, I realize this is a really popular point of view right now, and it's not without it's merits, but it's not an all encompassing blanket either.

• Jules said:

In the same vein, if the internet isn't categorized as a utility of some kind, and by that I mean an essential mode of communication that we recognize as... essential, but rather as something exclusively private, and more of a privilege than a necessity, well, yes, that means you have no specific right to use it, and that the companies who provide it can and should be able to choose who has what level of access and at what cost.  Anyway, I realize this is a really popular point of view right now, and it's not without it's merits, but it's not an all encompassing blanket either.

The problem with this argument in the current debate is that it's sort of like saying that you should be free to say whatever you want in someone else's house. It's arguably true (libel and slander notwithstanding), but they also generally have the right to tell you to leave. This right does not depend on you saying something wrong at all, but they could very well use it in reaction to what you say.

Websites, forums, chat rooms, etc. are all privately owned, maintained, and funded, regardless of how public internet access itself might increasingly be.
  • Well, things you mentioned are in a somewhat different category than hosting and connectivity.  My most related point to those was more in first part of my post - i.e. how amazingly self-segregated online communities can be in terms of norms and beliefs, to the point where it can be a big shock when they enter another place where everyone doesn't share their views almost to the letter. 
  • The fact that I'm not banned yet means the admin can be very lenient.

(as long as you're a ginger)
  • this thread was going places...