The Role of Writing in Role Play

I have finally finished my book I've been writing about Evil! It is nearly five thousand words long, barely makes any sense, and I've totally forgotten what on earth I was trying to do with it in the first place!

Now what...

But, in all seriousness, seeing all of the literature produced by Achaean players was really exciting for me, and immediately inspired me to make a ham-handed attempt of it myself.

What are people's thoughts on the role of player written books, plays, manuals, histories, poetry and things? What should they be about generally? How long do you prefer them? What makes one stand out as particularly good? How can they best be made to enhance the RP landscape of Achaea?

Comments

• I love that we can write books in-game, they add a lot of interesting things for Lore and RP don't have to necessarily be true or believable.

Books are great and I have written several.
  • I've been meaning to write a book (possibly a series of books) for a little while now.

Honestly, they can really be about anything. Ditto for length. Some things will need to be longer than others, and that's fine.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• RuthRuth Singapore
    My interest is in writing books/journals/scrolls based around in-game philosophy and history.

Philosophy wise, I always found it best if you formulated points you wanted to get across, then try to be as succinct (you do not need to use flowery language, but Ruth likes to use flowery, impressive language as a character quirk) as possible in your explanation. Give an example to illustrate your point.

History wise, capture the essential details of the subject, and you may want to point out any themes that you want individuals to pick up on as they read the history again.

"Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Take a hint from games like Morrowind when writing. D:

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Morrowind.

Nostalgia.

Feeeels.
  • @Mishgul So, you're the one who wrote The Lusty Xorani Maid?
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I admit nothing

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
    One of the first things you'll learn about Athelas, should you meet him, is that he wrote three books before he was 100 years old. Today, you can find copies of it in various libraries. It's not what I'd call professional and there are lots of typos, and it will come across as self aggrandizing, even though it was never meant to be.

That book is a HUGE part of Athelas's history. It's almost impossible to know him without hearing about it.