Physical Size

Comments

• Iocun said:
    I really try to dismount whenever I go indoors, but 9/10 times I forget. I only consistently do it in the couple of places where I've added scripts to do it for me. Can't really script it to do it in any indoors location though, since that wouldn't be fitting everywhere and be really bad for combat.

It's not even primarily an issue of size there, though, but more about the general imagery of having a mount trample through a person's living room.

As for stuff like sheathing weapons: that's pretty important to me as well. Iocun almost never walks around with weapons in his hands unless he's actually fighting. I've also generally made a point of asking people to stow their weapons away when doing rituals/ceremonies and stuff.
    Part of me wants to do this.

..But then, weapons ALWAYS being in Bron's hands also kind of make sense. :lol: 

• Having to keep your hands free to fight helps with that a bit. I guess people could tell Nim to remove the scabbard. She probably wouldn't though, because her sword is her soul, and she'll use it to brokenstar the heavens, or something like that.
  • SethSeth North Carolina
    As a grook, I'm not that tall. That's why I just call upon Nature to make me taller than most of you. Viridian for the win!
  • Written as the player.

Natliya is a 6'4", Sireni, walking-candle-'o'-death, with attitude to match at times. 
    Yes, she'll smile and glare down at most Dwarves/Humans. 
    Yes, she hates it when she has to look -up- at someone for once.
    No, she'll never forgive you for being taller.
    No, she'll always be that tall -and- wear 4" heels.

Answering as Natliya Cain, the Lonesome Willow.

Am I conscious of how tall I am, and do I think of it often?
    ~Smirks down at you~

-The Lonesome Willow,
                                              Natliya Cain

P.S. Love this thread. Keep it going.

I don't like long goodbyes.

• Makaela is under 5' and yes I occasionally bring that into her rp. I don't do it often however, as I do not want it to be a oh hey look at me thing.  I used to do it more in her voiced reactions to things being taller than her. Used to call the other races freakish tall things. Stopped that once I joined mhaldor where I think everyone is taller than her.

• On the topic of this thread and dragon size.

I was curious, because "the <colour> dragon <name>'s imposing form looms" doesn't really give much of an inkling of size besides "bigger" than puny little ones, and nor does the description "immense and powerful" really show numbers. So I went digging through Google for the old forums.

What I got was (collected and paraphrased):

- Seven to eight feet is Troll height.
    - Vertani were upwards of three metres tall, and they considered dragons to be "enormous" all the same.
    - Aldar can ride dragons.
    - Adventurers ride on the back of Sycaerunax during the dragon ceremony (granted, he's also the Father of Dragons).
    - Using the old size stat, Human was 12, Troll was 15, Dwarf was 8, and Xoran was 14. Dragon was 20. So Dwarves, for example, are about 66% the height of a human on average. This would make Dragons just under 2x the height of the average human.
    - Pentharian commented on visualising dragons as about thirty feet from nose to tail, and he included this picture of Veldrin.
    - Estach was not representative of the norm.

All said and done, I usually picture dragon size for Sarathai as about the Huge one of these two, or very slightly larger than this (both include comparisons to human height).

And, incidentally, while digging I came across a picture in the depths of my computer titled "dragon achaea" - specifically, this one. It looks familiar. Old artwork from way back in the day? If it's an Achaean dragon, then that'd be what a blue one looks like.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Kit tried to climb on a dragon once, however too big and slid down.
    "Kit always gets blood everywhere."
    Medi says, "If kit says to show up somewhere, bring an apron."
    Medi says, "Rule of thumb."

• With the amount of incredibly short characters there seem to be, I think it makes 'normal' sized characters actually somewhat gargantuan and it makes people like Aodfionn atrociously massive. Why are there so many dwarf sized non-dwarfs? What is this fascination with being the size of a child? :smiley: I'm strangely intrigued by this.

• Hahah @Herenicus I'm not sure how to react to that. Is that the pedo lurker?

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Why don't you have a seat over there, and he'll explain aaaaaaall about it.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Saeva said:
    With the amount of incredibly short characters there seem to be, I think it makes 'normal' sized characters actually somewhat gargantuan and it makes people like Aodfionn atrociously massive. Why are there so many dwarf sized non-dwarfs? What is this fascination with being the size of a child? :smiley: I'm strangely intrigued by this.
    I've also noticed this trend, and been confused by it. I feel like it only started in the last few years, or maybe I just never looked at descriptions for the first 7 years of playing.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Well personally on my end I just prefer being short however not to the point of being child sized. If nakaela were human shed be closer to 5'4" maybe 5'5"

• edited April 2015
    This didn't even cross my mind.
    The average door height is about 6 foot 8 inches.
    I just realized that Jakarana is like a foot too tall by incident. I got my 6 and my 7 mixed up and I forgot that 0.5 of a foot is 6 inches not 5.

Brb committing sudoku and shrinking a foot so I can walk inside doors.

I'm really really short IRL, and I've never been worried about how tall I am, so my perception on what tall is, is very skewed.
    Especially because most of my frames of reference are satirical jokes.
  • AereidhnaAereidhna Dallas
    edited April 2015
    I'm short in real life so Aereidhna being short is a bit of self-insertion on my part I suppose. Aereidhna usually wears heels though. Dating a 6 ft tall Atavian who spends most of his time in Dragon form makes RP interesting. I've put work into making sure my snuggle emotes and such take into account their size difference, and also he spends a lot of time with his big scaly head lowered to Aereidhna's level. I also find little things help with immersion, so I take off armor and weapon holders unless I'm using them, sheathe when I'm not bashing, etc.
  • You know I always get a little nervous to see a thread named "physical size" and a male has created said thread name..... 

In all honesty though, I think it's kind of interesting when characters actually do take height into affect with their roleplay. Taraza has always been protrayed as on the taller side. Although I haven't really done the "She looks down on x"  much though, sometimes things like that type of characteristics are done though. 

• Trey has always been bone stock average. 5'9".

• To be honest, Tibtiha is short because the thought of a tiny female knight in full plate amused me. (I may also have enjoyed the idea of having her wield an overly large sword.)
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited April 2015
    Didn't body size actually used to be a thing in Achaea? Like, a starting stat way back when? Or did I dream this

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Bronislav said:
    Natliya said:
    Written as the player.

Natliya is a 6'4", Sireni, walking-candle-'o'-death, with attitude to match at times. 
    Yes, she'll smile and glare down at most Dwarves/Humans. 
    Yes, she hates it when she has to look -up- at someone for once.
    No, she'll never forgive you for being taller.
    No, she'll always be that tall -and- wear 4" heels.

Answering as Natliya Cain, the Lonesome Willow.

Am I conscious of how tall I am, and do I think of it often?
    ~Smirks down at you~

-The Lonesome Willow,
                                              Natliya Cain

P.S. Love this thread. Keep it going.

As the late Oberyn Martell once said, "Size does not matter when you're flat on your back".

:innocent: 
    That's the worst flirting I've ever heard.

• Shimi is 5'2 or 5'3.. About average for a female. But her wings are something like 7 feet tall. I haven't really gotten to look up it down and people much. But when indoors she's very conscious of her wings. And despite being Cyrenian, she doesn't much enjoy being touched. And she really, really doesn't like people touch unfree wings. So she will consciously stretch them back and away from people, or curl them around herself.
  • @Bronislav ...
    ...Does -anyone- have any objections if he goes missing? Little bit? I'm sure Thoth is lonely.
    Please?

P.S. Dearie... I wouldn't be the one flat on my back. Remember; I'm the one who is the Blademaster here. Impaling prone men is my specialty.

*Anti-Angel emoji they should really add*

I don't like long goodbyes.
  • Natliya said:
    @Bronislav ...
    ...Does -anyone- have any objections if he goes missing? Little bit? I'm sure Thoth is lonely.
    Please?

P.S. Dearie... I wouldn't be the one flat on my back. Remember; I'm the one who is the Blademaster here. Impaling prone men is my specialty.

I'll thump him a few times, no worries.

also 
     >:) 
    meh

• Bronislav said:

As the late Oberyn Martell once said, "Size does not matter when you're flat on your back".

...the late Oberyn Martell.
    I feel that this...

Lends credence to @Natliya's position.

• Krypton said:
    Sarathai said:
    - Using the old size stat, Human was 12, Troll was 15, Dwarf was 8, and Xoran was 14. Dragon was 20. So Dwarves, for example, are about 66% the height of a human on average. This would make Dragons just under 2x the height of the average human.
    Halos said:
    Didn't body size actually used to be a thing in Achaea? Like, a starting stat way back when? Or did I dream this

Newp, not a dream!

Wow, those drawings are a blast from the distant-feeling past. We literally don't even have the originals of those sketches any more. Not sure what happened to them.

• Trilliana said:
    Natliya said:
    @Bronislav ...
    Please?

I'll thump him a few times, no worries.

also 
     >:) 

Doesn't matter, had sex. :sunglasses: