Parrying as a Blademaster/Augement

Just got Shindo and it has me wondering how augment and parrying in general works for the BM, since it seems like you have to have your blade out to parry and your blade sheathed to attack, which looks very contradictory.
Could anyone give me the run-down?
Not really used to parrying in general since I often played cast heavy classes before this one.

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    Augment is prone parry (only class with this) as long as you have an arm healed.
    Recent changes in combat have made it so that you're not completely ruining someone by augmenting though, it's just another thing to work around. Great ability for extending fights sometimes giving you time to finish your setup.
    We parry with our scabbard.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.

Answers

• edited April 2015
    Blademasters can parry with a sheathed blade (or rather with the scabbard). Infusing (I'm guessing that's what you mean by augment) doesn't need the blade drawn either. The only time you ever need to keep the blade out is while you have someone impaled.
  • Atalkez said:
    I wish we parried with scabbard.

Since we lose the ability to parry and get spammed with
    "You have no weapon capable of parring"
    When someone comes and hits you in the head while you have your target impaled.
  • Atalkez said:
    Why are you trying to swap your parry while someone is impaled anyway?

Mechanically the scabbard is what gives is the ability to parry. Without a scabbard worn/positioned I don't think you can parry.
    That's not trying to swap parry. You've never been hit while you have someone impaled or have your sword out? It automatically says "You have no weapon capable of parrying" when you're hit by someone without a sword in your scabbard. If you draw your blade and are wielding it you can not parry.

Yes without a scabbard worn/positioned you can't parry. But expanding on that, without a sword in that scabbard you can't parry either. Pretty sure the sword is the parry item not the scabbard.
  • No that's because your hands are full.

If you're not wielding anything and you get hit you should parry regardless of the swords location. 

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • The scabbard is definitely the item you parry with. It's similar to Guarding in that sense - if your hands are full, you can't move the scabbard in order to parry. At least, that's what my memory tells me. It's an easy test though if you're that interested in finding out.
  • Atalkez said:
    Augment is prone parry (only class with this) as long as you have an arm healed.
    Recent changes in combat have made it so that you're not completely ruining someone by augmenting though, it's just another thing to work around. Great ability for extending fights sometimes giving you time to finish your setup.
    So exactly how does augment work? Do you just expend some of the Shin you've put into your blade each time you parry while prone, or is there something else involved?

How has it changed from before?

I'm probably hoping too much that impale or behead count as torso/head targeting and are parryable.
  • edited April 2015
    Odd that the sword being drawn stops parrying. I don't know if that is as intended or not. I've never had an issue with it in real time.

You would also get that message if you had retaliation strike up as well I believe.

• Atalkez said:
    Odd that the sword being drawn stops parrying. I don't know if that is as intended or not. I've never had an issue with it in real time.

You would also get that message if you had retaliation strike up as well I believe.
    Blademaster Coding is weird.
    It seems that the blademaster sword being in a positioned scabbard counts as it being in our hand for attacking/parrying, and vice versa.
    Probably why we have to position it to begin with, to do something on the back-end that swaps around object funtions or something.

Depending on whether or not you can poison it, (considering the lack of Asp Id assume no) our attacks are less like actually drawing our sword to swing, and more like that our sword never actually leaves it scabbard and we just eminate slashing damage at them like a caster, but only with text SAYING we draw the blade to cover up the mechanical side of things.
  • edited April 2015
    Atalkez said:

That's why you saw it hit "no sword" twice. One was parry one was retaliation strike. After reviewing the dynamic you're right. It's the scabbard we are parring with it just requires the sword IN it to parry with it. The sword is a required part of the parry but the scabbard being the item that deflects the blow.

(I mostly wanted to know this completely useless fact because I like to doodle my blademaster in different stances. Now I can draw him parrying with his scabbard the right way)

I've only ever had this effect me in group combat:
    When a blademaster has a target impaled you know they have no parry. Opens up head to people who can exploit that
  • On a related note:
    What is the standard amount of Shin that you'd recommend Augmenting with?
    And in relation to Parrying in general, if someone is parrying one of their legs, could you damage the leg they are trying to parry at by leg-slashing their other leg?
  • Atalkez said:

As far as parry bypass yes you can slash right if they are parrying left and still damage right with the off slash. Your off slash does less limb damage than your main slash. So you'll end up breaking the unparried limb and still have not broken or prepped the other. On mobile so I'm keeping it short and to the point. Let me know if I need to explain in more detail. 
    But you can, say, break right with legslash, legslash right one or  more to finish prepping left, finish prepping right with compass, and break both. Still a pretty quick prep if they're statically parrying left, with the possible advantage that the limb damage to the left leg won't reset if it's only been hit with off side legslashes (though I've never had that make a difference, personally). 
  • I usually just keep left while prone to prep with off slash then compass the unparried one again. Works either way