How old were you when you started playing Achaea?

edited March 2015 in North of Thera
Some of us started really young and naive, and some of us are old bored retired people. How long has it been since you first started out in Achaea? How have you changed since your first experience here? How has Achaea affected your life? How many adventurers have you gone through? Etcetera, etcetera.

Comments

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    And that was over 10 years ago :(

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited March 2015
    Been a little over ten years as well of on and off dormancy though many of the ages. Whoo!

Also what if we were 16 on the money there two options haha gonna assume its was meant to be 13-15
  • Aedin said:
    Been a little over ten years as well of on and off dormancy though many of the ages. Whoo!

Also what if we were 16 on the money there two options haha gonna assume its was meant to be 13-15
    Oh yeah, whoops. 16-18 if you're 16, then!
  • A little over 12 years here. I had no idea what Achaea was, or a MMORPG for that matter, when I started playing (I joined to hang out with a RL friend at the time). It took me around 30 IC years to get the swing of things, but by the time Bluef was 50 she had a sense of who she wanted to be and that called for drastic changes in House, class, etc. After a short break, I returned and made it all happen. A RL year or so later, I was the leader of a House and everything about Bluef had drastically changed. 

Since then, she's had a few different phases in life. The responsible HL phase. The irresponsible "I married a jerk IC, so I'll be one too" phase. The slow climb back to being trustworthy and socially engaged phase. I'm very happy with where she's at right now as a rogue, leader in the Order of Sleep and Dreams, and the Keepers of Song. New ventures keep popping up and along with the push for elder dragon, Grandmaster smith, and whatnot, it seems like she still has things left to accomplish, which is nice!

I have several characters other than Bluef, but she will always be my favorite. :heart: 
  • CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    edited March 2015
    2-3 years ago. I'm a baby yes. I know. But I hardly have taken a break from achaea once I got hooked. Lol. Now I play every day. Not that I can't not play...I have 4 or 5 characters, but Caoi is my main and most invested in. :)

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Started roughly 9 years ago, so would put me at 17 when I stumbled upon Achaea.

• About 7 years ago, was 12
  • AlcinaeAlcinae AFK
    edited March 2015
    I was 12-13, back in 7th grade (I think?). Where have the days gone D:
  • I need to get a few people I know to come vote so I am not the oldest. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• TitonusTitonus Youngstown, Ohio
    I think I was 19... started cause a friend of mine was playing and wanted to lolpk me for levels. Didn't end up working out like that. Enjoyed the idea of a ongoing novel type of deal, and just decided to stick around for awhile. I'm now 32, been through a few toons, and I still find the environment quite enjoyable, even at the worst of times.

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Prythe said:
    I need to get a few people I know to come vote so I am not the oldest. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
    Since you're scouting ahead, what's your strategy for buying artefacts on a fixed income? 
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Herenicus said:
    Prythe said:
    I need to get a few people I know to come vote so I am not the oldest. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
    Since you're scouting ahead, what's your strategy for buying artefacts on a fixed income? 
    Tax rebates!

• My first character was made roughly 10 or 11 years ago. I was off and on for awile due to rl issues. Then blademaster came out and thus Makaela was born.  

Makaela was a Mojushai in Cyrene for most of her life as well as a member of Lady Miramar's order at age 18.  She eventually became a path head in the order, a novice aide in the mojushai as well as an aide to development and cultural affairs.

Makaela  started to have doubts about herself unfortunatly shortly after this started i began to have rl issues so i destroyed much of what made Makaela well what she was.  Upon returning i was faced with how do bring any rp value back to her and honestly Mhaldor was the best bet. So far it is working out.

• I'd have broke this poll at least into 21-24 and 25-30 vs. 21-30.  Or even like... made it 21-26 and 27-30.  There's a big shift for a lot of people in their late twenties.  In other words, it's still a decade where a lot of growing up happens for most people. 

Anyway, I think I would have been 29 or 30 when I started (2004-ish, basically, sometime after I ended up stationed in Japan and got shut in my house for several days during a typhoon).  I was definitely a one off age-wise and was just at a really different place than most of the game at the time - which, let's just say there are a LOT of wonderful quality of life game mechanics that admin has finally made happen in the last few years as those players have truly become full-fledged adults who definitely don't have endless free time (and also just want to get the most out of the free time they do have).

That said, there was a couple who was actually probably in their 40s that used to play, and they were awesome.  Then, there was my IC mother who was probably in her mid 20s (still probably older than most of the game at the time), and my IC dad, who was probably about the same age as the couple.  There were a couple of other older players, and they were just almost always easier to relate to, probably because the ages really were so stark in those years.  Most of the game was probably *well* under 20, which I definitely didn't fully understand at the time, partly because I'd never played an online game before, and partly because I just hadn't grown up immersed in internet culture.   

• I made Kit like 6 years ago but didn't really get into playing until like 3 months ago... I am quite upset that either way I'm in the same age bracket and that bracket is on the high end :(
    "Kit always gets blood everywhere."
    Medi says, "If kit says to show up somewhere, bring an apron."
    Medi says, "Rule of thumb."

• Nice poll!  Very interesting.   I started playing Achaea about 20 years ago or so...must have been 1995 96ish...it's been awhile.  Took about 12 years off, so glad it's still around.  Quite different from then..but I still enjoy it.

• I'm pretty sure I started shortly before I turned 13. And I'll be 26 soon, so I've been playing Achaea for half my life now, if you ignore a break of nearly a year.

There have probably been 7 or 8 characters that I've played seriously (most of them before I made Sena), and a huge pile of short-lived alts (mostly short-lived on purpose, just trying a class or testing things).

Since I've been playing since I was a kid, I can't really say for sure how Achaea has changed me, I don't have anything to compare to.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    I started when I was 13 years old. I remember playing Achaea and catching butterflies after finishing my work on Photoshop as part of one of my extra school courses. People were looking over and wondering what the heck I was playing.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I started a few months before my 23 birthday and my 26th birthday is coming up on Monday so I haven't been here too long, but have enjoyed it so far! Wish I had seen some of the older things the veteran players talk about sometimes.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

Kayeil said:
    I started a few months before my 23 birthday and my 26th birthday is coming up on Monday so I haven't been here too long, but have enjoyed it so far! Wish I had seen some of the older things the veteran players talk about sometimes.
    Yeah...let's talk about how fun landmarking was...

• Katas were great. I swear the first kata took basically the longest by far, which I guess makes sense, but since you basically have to do it after learning like what, eight lessons, it was kind of terrible. Also, I'm not sure if it's true or just one of those myth things that people told novices anyway, but I think you lost any lessons if you tried to learn past the kata.

You also lost lessons if you forgot to myrrh. That was also great.
  • Titonus said:
    Kayeil said:
    Landmarking WAS fun. Sorta. Sometimes.
    edited March 2015
    Watchman said:
    Titonus said:
    Kayeil said:
    Landmarking WAS fun. Sorta. Sometimes.
    Said no one ever.

Edit: And welcome to the forums!

• edited March 2015
    Kitiara said:
    I made Kit like 6 years ago but didn't really get into playing until like 3 months ago... I am quite upset that either way I'm in the same age bracket and that bracket is on the high end :(

Well, the core population is much more solidly grownup, and that means you're playing a game with people who go to work, and have hobbies, and pets, and errands, and home maintenance, and maybe even wives and husbands and kids.  I still wish we had a few more older players (like at least 30 and up, and a few more people around 40 would be great). 

I think Achaea used to (not intentionally of course) chase a lot of older players off, both because the game itself catered to people with almost endless free time (i.e. kids and very young adults), and also because those older players found it really challenging to interact with that player base.  That's definitely been changing in the right ways, and I think the overall trend is going to be more of that. 

Still, if you're the kind of player who has a more casual attitude (both towards RP and endless bashing), you're a bit older, and you want to dabble in PK without losing your ass, Imperian is unbeatable in IRE.  Although Achaea's players are older now, and asking for more and more quality of life tweaks that usually equate to less drudgery, Achaea usually still has a much more "intense" attitude about things that a player is either going to embrace or intensely dislike.  Cyrene has generally (but not always) been an exception, and the Outriders are a great modern exception, but in general, Achaea is "intense".  Things like that could actually be a subtle but important way for the games to differentiate themselves (and a good way to engineer things so that players in each game are hopefully playing with likeminded people - or even dabble in more than one flavor as their current mood and schedule allows). 

• RipRip
    edited March 2015
    Didn't realize there were questions. ..I never played any alts. Rip is my only character. Being a role playing game I enjoy learning about myself in the environment, even if I sometimes screw up or act like a fool. I find that dealing with the consequences of my actions, good or bad, make me a better person. Once I found Achaea...rather when Achaea found me...I never looked back...never played another mud since. I rather love the fact Rip is one of the oldest characters around. I believe he turned 524 in game...hopefully some day I will be able to role play a 1000 year old character. So Achaea needs to stick around another 20 years.

• Prythe said:
    I bcs constantly, jumping on bargains. Elite is an amazing deal as well and then $300 will get you 1400 during a 30% sale. That's not a lot towards entertainment when amortized over the year for well over 3000 plus bargains on market and house/city sales. 

• @Watchman your original non-lockstep RP informed quite a bit of Prythe's life. 

• I only started playing Achaea about a year and a half ago. But I had been playing a different MUD since I was about 14.

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Started Achaea when I was 12, Taku was living in one of my parents rental houses (oddly enough the house im living in now) and he got me into it.