Sleeping to the Top

I apologize for making a trash account, but given potential sentiments over this it's probably wisest to ask this with an aspect of anonymity. And I apologize if I'm somehow breaking a rule, spoken or unspoken, by starting this topic.
I'm sure that romance and ERP is an inevitable thing in any given role-playing outlet, but in cases of public internet cases like these there are no doubt societal restrictions and official policies governing it.

I noticed a distinct lack of elaboration on the rules and policies about this kind of content beyond the U.S. legal matters of age and keeping it way from minors, and a few implications in the harassment policy.

I personally am interested in the story aspect of attempting to gain favor, status, or even simply monetary gain (In-game gold of course, I feel the need to specify) as a few of the portions of some of the cities seem to be of the description and nature you'd realistically encounter streetwalkers, e.g. near the shop in Hashan that sells tiger-print G-strings and similar bedroom attire, and the entire prospect of a race based around the seductress (more akin to a PG-variant Succubus than a Greecian Siren) seems like there's some room for power-play and betrayal in Politics. Though Achaea's governing practices seem more Meritocratic in nature, and rightfully so, it makes the idea of obtaining illegitimate power and wealth even more of an attractive idea.
Obviously this is all kept behind closed and locked doors, preferably in tells, for both IC and OOC reasons, and it's only realistic to try to keep it hidden, as it's not a public endeavor in real life (not legally).

There's no doubt probably a large portion of people that consider this as a whole distasteful, and the possibility of minors is definitely something to be cautious of.
Are there any proper means or practices to hint or indicate such intentions, any other semantics and issues that should be established during the approach aside from the minor-status/age of the player? Any approach in Harlotry for Gold specifically; since it's a (virtual) material exchange for non-material benefit?

Comments

• So you wanna know if it's okay to be a textual prostitute?
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Just don't let @Tharvis catch you.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Sexual favours for promotions/positions/power does happen, but it's very rare, there's not much chance you'll be successful, and it will almost certainly require that you're already an established and well-known character. It's also very frowned on (more OOC than IC), but difficult to prove unless you're really careless. Especially when it's almost always a baseless accusation or just intentional slander/trolling/harrassment, so the real cases get drowned out.

Prostitution is more common, but it's rarely seriously RPed, it's almost always done purely for OOC gratification, on a short-lived character that won't really go anywhere, and the gold involved is normally a small, token amount just as part of the play. There have been a few people who did seriously RP prostitutes, often without actually playing out any of the sex.

As for the official admin position, it's basically just "do whatever you want in private, but follow the language rules in public and don't involve anyone unwillingly". There is some risque (though tasteful) content in the game, such as an erotic dancer denizen who will put on a show for gold, and there used to be a somewhat-functional brothel in Mhaldor.
  • Sena said:
    The gold involved is normally a small, token amount just as part of the play. 
    Yeah, I kind of expected it to be more of a "for fun" situation rather than "for profit"
    Kind of ludicrous to expect it to be very profitable compared to crawling about the sewers punching rats ad infinium, or able to support a Gleam habit or something similar. With Supply and Demand, and the nature of the internet, it's pretty unlikely anyone would put an investment into something based in a short lived desire.
  • If the past has shown me anything, you have to first be a part of their skype group and then give them ERP favors to get ministry positions and the like.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I may joke about it,  but I want to imagine that a person who could / would sleep their way to the top has at least some modicum of ability and desire to invoke change in that position.

Leadership in Achaea is very much a cruel and somewhat thankless job with none of those perks like first class travel etc to go with it. You'd have to really want to do something with it to want it and the sex would merely be something to help secure the position.

Playing a character who's had fun with a crude sense of humor and half-falsified character of easy virtue like Skye is both fun and frustrating. On one hand,   she can pretty say what she wants and she generally doesn't have to think twice about teasing or flirting with anyone. On the other, people have pretty long memories about this sort of thing if it gets out, and whatever accomplishments or friendships you make will tend to be coloured by those impressions. 

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Aktillum said:
    Roleplaying prostitution is not wholly uncommon in Achaea, though some may frown on it. You will be competing with the various NPC prostitutes that roam the land, but with a little flair and a highly offensive nude self-description, I'm sure you'll do just fine. There is a House (guild) that would allow and encourage your textsexual escapades, The Grand Merchant Collective. Let me quote from HELP HOUSE MERCHANTS

"The strength of the Collective is a direct result of its diverse membership: merchants come from myriad backgrounds and economic stations, all possessing varying skills in the fields of trade and commerce."

Obviously, prostitution is one of the oldest fields of trade, and so I'm sure you could rise straight to the top within their ranks.

Ask Laytron in-game for more details.
    Laytron, and basically the entire current merchant council, will kick whoever uses their bodily charms to gain a benefit in their business. Also quite literally in the house rules to not engage in prostitution
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    Merchants are probably the one organization that could bring that sort of ...hmm..."roleplay"... any sort of legitimacy.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • If that's a role you want you'll gVe more luck in Aetolia (maybe Lusternia?) as rp'd out relations don't carry as much stigma
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Technically, you can sleep your way to the top, if you choose to. I've seen it happen in Hashan, and have heard of a brothel/pimp ring happening in Hashan before when I was still leader there. I've never actually experienced the whole she-bang though, but I would imagine that if you are going to do this, you need to have good roleplayers (like what @Jurixe said) that have a strong sense of IC/OOC barrier. Otherwise, things are going to get a bit.. iffy.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Silas said:
    Halos said:
    Merchants are probably the one organization that could bring that sort of ...hmm..."roleplay"... any sort of legitimacy.
    I'd quite happily welcome prostitutes into the Luminai as part of the Mercator branch. Those bedroom secrets can be delicious.
    !

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    This sounds like a challenge.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Went the distance now I'm back on my feet...
  • There's not nearly enough train wreck sexcapades in Achaea any more.  Bring on the platter nips.  And while we're at it, bring back the Bumblebeevies.  Hell, get the Bumblebeevies in on it or something... jewel encrusted strap on stingers or something.  We'd all read that pastebin.  Be honest. 
  • Taraus said:
    ... knowing what he's singing in that scene makes that, as a response, have an entirely different feel.

I actually have no idea who that is or what show/movie it's from.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    gets me everytime

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Amazing, I've never seen someone master the thigh guitar like that.