What can we do about lag spikes?

It's been happening to me lately.  Is it happening to you?  Is there anything I can do on my end?

Comments

• edited February 2015
    If using SVO there's a few things you can check:

NDB STATS (if you have more than 1k users, or closing up on 5k it can cause lags)
    Peopletracker (if people tracker is on and it tries to update the map with 10 people who hit your alertness, it will make you cry)
    Alertness trigger ( Remove the fancy alertness stuff and make it all basic ) 
    Custom prompt ( Try with a basic prompt with 0 fancy custom things on it. Just health, mana, endurance, wp ) 

I've found my lag issues to be related to these 4 items at least. 
  • Well, I don't live in the US so I get some small lag spikes every now and then. I was using Svo for curing and sometimes died when entering a room and starting to fight against tough enemies that team up on me: lag starts midfight, no sipping, embracing... :cry: 

But now I'm trying something new: I disabled Svo sipping and trying server-side sipping - I think this happens even if you get lag on your client? Haven't died to no sipping, yet, and I will see if I can keep all the Svo coolness in the end with full server-side curing instead so I can survive when lag hits hard! :persevere: 
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    Is the amount of intems in your inventory a factor? I am thinking of the decay calculations that used to cause spikes every hour. I am not sure if that was a realm-wide spike or based on your own inventory though.
  • Serverside sipping/curing/queueing is immune to lag (except lag from the game itself; but then, denizens and other players will be affected by the lag the same as you, so it won't matter much), so that can help make it less of a problem.

As for getting rid of the lag, you can only really do something about it if it's being caused by something on your end. There's the possibility of slow scripts as mentioned already, or it could be other programs slowing down your computer. If it's actually the connection and not just your computer, it could be that something else is slowing it down, either you or someone else on the network (torrenting is a common cause, or even streaming videos on poorer connections), or with wi-fi it could be interference (microwaves tend to cause a lot of problems, even from across the house they can possibly kill the wi-fi connection entirely).

To find out where the problem is, you can try doing a traceroute (in Windows, open the command prompt and do "tracert achaea.com"), and hopefully see where the source of the slowdown is (where the numbers suddenly get a lot higher). If the lag is intermittent though, it might be hard to catch it with this. If that does show that it gets slow before even leaving your house, you can likely do something about it. If it happens somewhere between you and Achaea, there's probably nothing you can do.

The game does have lag spikes at the serenade and date changes as well. But like all other server-side lag, it affects the entire game, including denizens and room effects and everything else.
  • There are a few ways you can narrow down the source. The simplest is to run a PING while playing and see if you notice latency spikes when you lag. That would be a sign that your connection might be the issue, for example.

• He's talking about raid related lag spikes I'm assuming, and I still have no way to explain this, I've been getting it ever since knight changes and have no idea how to fix it, makes raiding very very unfun now
  • Darkender said:
    He's talking about raid related lag spikes I'm assuming, and I still have no way to explain this, I've been getting it ever since knight changes and have no idea how to fix it, makes raiding very very unfun now
    Done the things I mentioned?
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Darkender had started a similar thread, and there are some suggestions there. Maybe you can figure it out with what Tecton and a few others suggested:

http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/3075/a-question-to-the-gods-about-the-recent-lag-since-knight-changes
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Rangor said:
    Darkender said:
    He's talking about raid related lag spikes I'm assuming, and I still have no way to explain this, I've been getting it ever since knight changes and have no idea how to fix it, makes raiding very very unfun now
    Doubt it, I keep on insisting that his lag is client/script based and not Achaea itself anymore since none of us have this.
  • The only thing on there I haven't done is the custom prompt, I will set it back to nothing and see if that fixes it

• However I've had my custom prompt forever with no changes, and then the lag only started recently, what sense would this make

• Have you tried keeping a ping running to Achaea while playing?

You might also want to keep a ping running somewhere else to make sure you aren't getting latency to that too. Or, if you want to go whole hog, do a traceroute to Achaea, then keep a ping going for every hop to see where the latency is coming from.
  • Nemutaur said:
    Rangor said:
    Darkender said:
    Doubt it, I keep on insisting that his lag is client/script based and not Achaea itself anymore since none of us have this.
    Ya I don't think it's a latency problem.  I always thought it was probably just excessive scripting that would occasionally get backed up for some reason unknown to me.  You're right, not everyone is experiencing this.  And, it's not like regular small lag spikes of a few seconds.  It's more of an occasional 20 second lag spike that seems to happen for no obvious reason.  Cutting back on the fancy name database stuff seems to help.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    From personal experience, deleting old ndb entries (unranked or ranked below 2000) makes a big difference to quite a few scripts - anything which highlights characters' names, for example

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • I have an alias called 'ndbflush' I do regularly, because of this reason.

It deletes unranked and <2000 ranked people from it. If you've feeling adventurous, you could flush it, update the entire NDB database, and then flush it again to make sure it's running at its best.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Jukilian said:
    I have an alias called 'ndbflush' I do regularly, because of this reason.

It deletes unranked and <2000 ranked people from it. If you've feeling adventurous, you could flush it, update the entire NDB database, and then flush it again to make sure it's running at its best.
    It's part of a routine which runs when I qq, along with one to delete old profiles and maps.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • I will have to look into how to do that soon I think... Died a while ago to lag again. :cry: 

Although, tbh, I think the processing power I have can handle all that... Its the ISP I hate!
  • Tael said:
    Have you tried keeping a ping running to Achaea while playing?

You might also want to keep a ping running somewhere else to make sure you aren't getting latency to that too. Or, if you want to go whole hog, do a traceroute to Achaea, then keep a ping going for every hop to see where the latency is coming from.
    Note that the HTML5 client keeps a ping running for you all the time at the bottom of the screen, so you could log into that and play for awhile to see if you get network-based lag.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Jukilian said:

How would one do this? I feel like doing this even once would greatly improve my system operation.

• Kresslack said:
    Jukilian said:

How would one do this? I feel like doing this even once would greatly improve my system operation.
    My alias is coded thusly:
    db:delete(ndb.db.people, db:gte(ndb.db.people.xp_rank, 2000))
    db:delete(ndb.db.people, db:eq(ndb.db.people.xp_rank, -2))
    echo( "Done!\n" )
  • So far I have found that deleting the ndb database and turning off highlighting has helped tremendously.  I remembered that I once looked through city enemies and the database added every single name.  I don't need all those names in there.  Running smooth so far.
  • edited February 2015
    Edit : I should have kept reading the thread.

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Jukilian said:
    Kresslack said:
    Jukilian said:

My alias is coded thusly:
    db:delete(ndb.db.people, db:gte(ndb.db.people.xp_rank, 2000))
    db:delete(ndb.db.people, db:eq(ndb.db.people.xp_rank, -2))
    echo( "Done!\n" )
    I finally got around to using this. 

BEFORE:

(svo): People in the DB: 4491
    (svo): City stats:
      Mhaldor  - 1936 citizens.
      none     - 627 citizens.
      Cyrene   - 510 citizens.
      Ashtan   - 473 citizens.
      Eleusis  - 358 citizens.
      Hashan   - 317 citizens.
      Targossas - 270 citizens.

AFTER:

(svo): People in the DB: 1626
    (svo): City stats:
      Mhaldor  - 381 citizens.
      none     - 327 citizens.
      Cyrene   - 239 citizens.
      Ashtan   - 230 citizens.
      Eleusis  - 158 citizens.
      Targossas - 147 citizens.
      Hashan   - 144 citizens.

• ElazarElazar NC/Mhaldor
    Interesting, glad you made a thread about this as I have 2-10 second system spikes using mudlet , been wondering what might cause it.  I'll give it a shot next time I log in
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    As a heads up, Awhile back I had a script that would give me a list of every item in a room using gmcp, It was for bashing but it was still pretty neat. Everytime someone would die and drop 20 things it would update Which would freeze me.

I also still lag majorly on chaos rays especially if it's hitting multiple people. and sometimes I get huge lag spikes when fighting people like Jhui for instance who did 12 things in a single prompt. (Not ragging on Jhui just throwing out the facts)

But I am an electrician, and so I used my electrical knowledge on what to do if you don't know which circuit is which.  There's some fancy tools and stuff for this. but that shits expensive. So what we do is keep flipping breakers off until it works.

Same thing works for Achaea (mostly) keep disabling shit until you stop lagging and you've tracked down your problem for the most part. Scripts could also intermingle with each other and screw up as well.

• I did it the other way sround.around. staryed with a clean mudlet and imported one script at a time.
  • Step 1 turn off torrents 

Step 2 turn off pron
  • The best thing to do is actually to move in Arlignton Heights.

And plug a LAN to the server.