Delos Subdivision

I mentioned it in the gold-sink thread, but I think the idea of a Delos subdivision deserves its own thread, for numerous reasons. I've heard many people complain on clans that they're completely locked out of homes in cities they're enemied to, unable to even destroy the rooms for a return on room credits. Since Delos is a fairly bustling "town" with player-owned shops, the Matsuhama arena, 2 House estates and that marketplace under construction, I think Delos should be given its own subdivision for player-housing.

I'll list some pros and cons and you guys can nitpick it to death.

Pros:
-Safer to invest in Delos housing, no risk of being locked out of a city home you've spent hundreds of credits on
-Potential gold-sink, @Tecton and @Sarapis can dictate the value of sub plots, and the gold simply vanishes from the economy
-May potentially create more foot-traffic in Delos, meaning more traffic to Delos shops

Cons:
-Less "safe", since it'd be easier to prism into someone's house in Delos

Comments

• Constructive (I hope) nitpicks - Permanent property is... well... permanent, so it would either be a limited resource that ceased to matter once the property was bought up, or an ever-expanding what-the-crap of a subdivision with property logically decreasing in value as it gets further and further from the subdivision entrance. I can't really think of an alternative scenario without ripping off Lusternia's manse entrances.

Random thought. Building would probably have to be more expensive than city housing because it's Delos and that's how it works, but cheaper than out-of-subs because subdivisions are unpleasant. At least half-credits are a thing in housing.

Could be interesting to see pre-built homes sprinkled across roads and villages, some houses that builders design for people to throw their millions at.
  • Rentable apartments you can customise but if you don't keep up with payments the doors lock you out?
  • KezKez
    edited March 2015
    That exists in Thera, minus the customisation.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I liked the way DiscworldMUD did player housing. A couple of towns had houses and cottages, and the city had apartments, which more or less went up on auction and whoever won the bid got to live in them. There were restrictions on how many you could own, and some towns wouldn't let you buy property at all if you had property somewhere else. There was an annual rent fee that was automatically deducted out of your bank account and if you stopped paying rent, the place would automatically go back up for auction for someone else to buy.

Naturally that sort of thing won't really work with the way that (out of) subdivision plots and player housing in Achaea works, but I really liked how it was set up.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I'm not against the idea, but it seems unlikely that they'll add this as long as people are paying $450+ for out of sub houses.

• I also am sad player housing is in a 'subdivision' and not in the open world, although I suppose it was a necessity to put it that way. idk.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited March 2015
    Tahquil said:
    Rentable apartments you can customise but if you don't keep up with payments the doors lock you out?
    I love this idea. Love it! You can change the room decor but you have to pay your 'rent' every year or the room re-sets and you get locked out. With a limited number of these they would be in hot demand and so the price could be a hefty one. Plus with the costs associated with changing the room decor those would be a gold sink too. There may be some extras too: Room service (someone leaves food outside your door), apartment security, etc. that people could add-on to their rental contract for gold.

It might be nice if there was a time limit on them though, so for example, you can't rent more than X number of years in a row or something so everyone has a chance to have some fun with it.