Do you know what a 'rakehell' is?

edited March 2015 in The Blank Canvas
I'm butting heads with customisation and they're claiming it's obscure. I know what it means, I've seen it in contemporary literature with a somewhat regular frequency, and a simple Google search yields six results for books with rakehell in the -title- on the first page alone.

Comments

• No, I didn't, but I don't see why that's a problem. 
  • I've read it in books before, though I can't remember exactly where.
  • It's a pirate shirt! 
  • KezKez
    edited March 2015
    I knew rake, but not rakehell until I googled it just now. It's the same word, so why not just go with rake if they'll allow it?

Edit: Not sure when obscure words became a problem though.
  • rakehell

/ˈreɪkˌhɛl/
    noun

a dissolute man; rake

adjective

profligate; dissolute

Word Origin
    C16: from rake 1 + hell ; but compare Middle English rakel rash

• Yes, but I see it rarely enough, compared with "rake", that I felt the need to double-check that I was right before chiming in.  
  • edited March 2015
    According to dictionary.com, few English speakers likely know this word.

Also, based on browsing through a few words, dictionary.com is usually pretty optimistic with how many people know a word. It says "most English speakers know this word" with some words I definitely think would throw most of my friends for a loop.

So when it says "few", well, it's a pretty rare word. The community for Achaea probably has a lot higher average vocabulary than the average person, though.

To answer the thread: I didn't know the word. And apparently neither did Herenicus. And that guy pretty much talks in riddles non-stop.

• HaldonHaldon I forgot...
    In truth I only know rakehell from when I was looking up the definition of another word. I've never seen it in anything I've read before or since. Sounds like a Stephen Donaldson word.
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Few people know it, have it in your description and a few more people will know it.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    I know "rakish" as an adjective close to this meaning. I've only known rakes for yardwork though, and @Herenicus already posted my guess for the meaning of rakehell without googling it.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Eh, since when its a word being obscure a problem for a customisation? If its a valid word and it makes sense in context and valid for the setting then thats all that ought matter.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• A hell where instead of fire, you have to reside in an endless sea of extremely sharp rakes?

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • I have heard "rake" used to mean this, but had no idea it was short for "rakehell."
  • I forgot to mention in my first post that I'm surprised this is a customization problem.  I thought it was crafting that has these problems of extreme nitpicking (probably because, as I'd never know until fairly recently, it's a player collective interpreting the rules as they see them). 

• No. What's the argument, though?

• None, now. We arrived at a healthy compromise.

• edited March 2015
    Hadn't heard that one before, but then delightfully unusual words are commonplace in the verdant stygian prismatic cerulean world that is Achaea!

If you're talking like you just swallowed a dictionary, you must have been to Achaea!

• I can't believe how many people don't know this word... *quietly packs away all her regency novels*
  • I knew it connotated something like vandal, rapscallion, or other nefarious type man so I guess close enough?