New changes to LOOK

Comments

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Related:

Your bug report (detail: the following artefact / enchanted rings are not showing up as jewelry in the new format inventory ring00000 etc) - has been removed because it is not a bug (usually meaning that this is the way things are intended to be). Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or misunderstanding that may be involved. The following notes were included: Currently, jewelry is pretty specific (piercing jewelry, a couple other things). We're probably going to expand that though, so stay tuned for changes!

They show up in JLIST though... :|

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • 34277       Achaea  3/12/17:09  Your bug report (detail: ii Also no longer works to show the corpses in your INV, which was incredibly useful. You  could use ii tsol'dasi for example and see the count of corpses in your INV.) -  has been fixed. The following notes were  included: Be live soon.  

I hope they do not add all my rings and stuff to the new LOOK though -- I wear gloves for a freaking reason. I do NOT want all that bling on my appearance. 

• Bluef said:
    34277       Achaea  3/12/17:09  Your bug report (detail: ii Also no longer works to show the corpses in your INV, which was incredibly useful. You  could use ii tsol'dasi for example and see the count of corpses in your INV.) -  has been fixed. The following notes were  included: Be live soon.  

I hope they do not add all my rings and stuff to the new LOOK though -- I wear gloves for a freaking reason. I do NOT want all that bling on my appearance. 

Embrace the Bling

Rings go over gloves Bluef, don't you accessorize....

• KyrraKyrra Australia
       An earring of Sinope through his right ear, an earring of Sinope through his right ear, an 
    earring of Sinope through his right ear, an earring of Sinope through his right ear, an earring of 
    Sinope through his right ear, an earring of Sinope through his left ear, an earring of Sinope 
    through his left ear, an earring of Sinope through his left ear, and an earring of Sinope through 
    his left ear.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Oh, and yeah, we're making that change to group piercings together like that, though it pretty much will only affect Earrings of Sinope on a practical basis I think.

You guys should have been seeing gradual changes to the outputs of inv, ii, and look at <player> all morning too, as we're refining them.

• @Razzlo No worries, dealing with gamer communities in general requires rhino-like skin. ;)

Glad the process makes you feel involved too! One of the things I like about running MUDs is getting to interact so closely with the playerbase in a way that's completely impossible for big MMORPGs.
  • O.O I never realized how much I relied on the CLOTHESLIST command to monitor the decay-rate of my gear until it stopped working.

• Nizana said:
    O.O I never realized how much I relied on the CLOTHESLIST command to monitor the decay-rate of my gear until it stopped working.
    info worn still works!
    meh

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Can we have some kind of option to LOOK at people the old way, too?
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Is there an easy way to check the decay time on all items worn now? Just before I could just do ii worn, but that no longer works
  • Aliath said:
    Is there an easy way to check the decay time on all items worn now? Just before I could just do ii worn, but that no longer works
    As I said above. INFO WORN
    meh

• I just want my wearables to appear in what I'm wearing. This stuff showing up in Miscellaneous is giving me fits.
  • Bluef said:
    I just want my wearables to appear in what I'm wearing. This stuff showing up in Miscellaneous is giving me fits.
    @Bluef you are wearing everything after "You are wearing:". You are wearing what's listed under "Weapon holders". You are wearing what's listed under "Containers", and you are wearing what's listed under "Misc".

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited March 2015
    Ognog said:
    Bluef said:
    I just want my wearables to appear in what I'm wearing. This stuff showing up in Miscellaneous is giving me fits.
    @Bluef you are wearing everything after "You are wearing:". You are wearing what's listed under "Weapon holders". You are wearing what's listed under "Containers", and you are wearing what's listed under "Misc".
    Which is why it makes no sense that half my wearable artefacts show up under What I'm wearing and the other half show up after Miscellaneous. Most of them are jewellery-type artefacts just like the things that already show up in "You are wearing." But instead of looking like a coherent, thematic description of what I'm wearing it's a hot mess in categories that don't really need to be there.
  • I like the changes, I'm actually finding things much easier than having to search through my inventory constantly looking. It provides a more organised way to look at things and really check things out. 

one thing I would likely recommend is to try to remove the repeated items if possible and to simply condense things more :) 
    Overall I like the direction this is heading and cannot wait to see what else is going to be in store with LOOK and II. 

• It just needs some fine tuning. They won't get it right first try overnight when they just took an idea from forums and decided to implement it in the span of 12 hours. Cut them some slack. IDEA refinements or put them here. It's amazing that the admin are so receptive to player ideas, don't take that for granted.

i'm a rebel

• One major refinement I'd like is to specify whether or not I want to see my worn stuff when I'm looking at my inventory.  It used to be that worn stuff spammed my screen, but didn't take up so much space that I couldn't see my held stuff, so I could always just hit I and look at say, how many corpses I was holding at a glance.  Now, my worn stuff scrolls my held stuff off of my screen, and I have to scroll up for that.  Would prefer for the default INV to not include worn items.
  • I liked reading things in the long, 1 item per row form.

• I like one item per row because it lets me programmatically know where one item begins and another ends, which in turn lets me decide how items get shown.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    One thing to consider (although admittedly for a very niche audience) is how it looks when those with the obsidian disc take images of adventurers. Previously, it followed whatever setting you had (in terms of config clotheslist) so I'm kind of wondering what it will look like now.

As mentioned in the Rants thread, I'm not a fan of the new look description because it looks very unnatural when I'm trying to picture an adventurer. I also concur with perhaps not wanting the worn stuff to spam me when I do i. I really hope admin will consider making this a toggleable function on both ends, or at least for the look, for people who preferred the old version.

That being said, I do like the new colouring for the ii menu and that is a plus for me.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• I agree 100% with Jurixe. This looks really unnatural to me. I didn't use the clothesline for exactly that reason. I like picturing a person by as a clothed individual without the unnecessary spacing and categories. I appreciate all the work that went into this, but I hope too that it becomes toggleable for those people who prefer a more natural and realisitic viewing of others. 
  • edited March 2015
    I used to have toggled descriptions depending on whether my hood was raised/lowered. Now...

You carefully lower the hood on a sleek, hooded sleeveless tunic.
    She is wearing:
      ---stuff--- a sleek, hooded sleeveless tunic------

You carefully raise the hood on a sleek, hooded sleeveless tunic.
    She is wearing:

Not only is it now so overwhelming and I need to figure out how to gag without accidentally gagging all descriptions I look at, but they don't even change the appearance of the thing. Where's my bloody 'hood raised' :( is it even visible that the hood is raised?! D: I can't look at myself. oh god, why can't I look at myself?!

• edited March 2015
    While I love the categorization of the new look, I don't like how jarring it feels. Everything else  looks fine, but Look should have a natural feel to how it displays. Also, in my case I have several rings, but they aren't displayed consecutively which feels weird for your intentions. I absolutely hate, hate, HATE paragraph displays for worn items. With all of the descriptors added to short appearances, it makes it impossible to find a particular item when looking at someone.

Personally, I can get over the jarring format, but can we please get an option to toggle one item per line, or even a columned format for worn? Please? 
  • Szareine said:
    I used to have toggled descriptions depending on whether my hood was raised/lowered. Now...

You carefully lower the hood on a sleek, hooded sleeveless tunic.
    She is wearing:

You carefully raise the hood on a sleek, hooded sleeveless tunic.
    She is wearing:

Not only is it now so overwhelming and I need to figure out how to gag without accidentally gagging all descriptions I look at, but they don't even change the appearance of the thing. Where's my bloody 'hood raised' :( is it even visible that the hood is raised?! D: I can't look at myself. oh god, why can't I look at myself?!

I think it does technically show in the items short. So if you have a bit of knowledge of gmcp or someone to help you. You can set up a more consistent script to do just that for you!
  • You can now INV/II [HELD|WORN] [searchterm].
  • I have taken some time to try to get used to this and I still can't stand it. It feels lije a coder got their hands on something to pacify their organization needs rather than someone giving aid to the rp vibe. I just hate it.

• @Sarapis just made my day by giving back clothesline :)