Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

House Renaissance

1484950515254»

Comments

• BlujixapugBlujixapug Member Posts: 1,833 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Nim said:
    The merchants being a cityless house makes sense because it gives rogues house options, and because simply not having a city is about the only way to truly be neutral, thereby increasing the number of people you can deal with. On the contrary, why not make city-based houses into high clans, in cities Targossis or Cyrene, where houses represent gameplay style, and it would make sense for people to want to be in multiple at once?
    Rogues have the option to join a city, just sayin.

If this sounds like the community finding its punching bag for some lighthearted mockery, it's more serious than that. I think it's important for organisations to be structured in such a way that they necessitate engagement: don't give players a choice (eg. going rogue) that you don't want them to take. This is a game design thing independent of the freedom players are given to choose how to structure the House they run. The three major circles of organisation most players will join are city, House, and order to a lesser degree: through those organisations you interact with other players, form relationships, gain objectives, engage with the game, generate reasons to continue playing the game. Members of cityless Houses, or cityless members of Houses, are a step removed from that engagement. Houseless rogues are a step further removed, relying far more on driving their own engagement, creating their own objectives, surrogate organisations like clans, and on incidental encounters with other players to form relationships.

We've just seen every city that's gone through the renaissance lose a House (or two, if you count Shallam's five), forcing every player in those cities to reshuffle into a smaller number of Houses, ultimately boosting each remaining House's activity. This is a huge, drastic change to make the game's population go further. I don't think the Merchants, or indeed the other two cityless Houses, are immune to such consideration.

You can see in Lusternia for example (ignoring its many problems with having too many cities/guilds and spreading its playerbase too thin) that it is a smaller game, they have a smaller playerbase. But they make their playerbase go further by designing the game to not accomodate rogues: leave a city and you lose the resource that provides power for many of your abilities. So all players are forced to remain in cities, making those cities and by extension city-based guilds more populous. Doubtless this alienates some players who would rather not play the game at all than play it and be unable to be a rogue, but I suspect many more say "oh well, didn't want to be a rogue that badly" and find a way to make it work.
    TharvisTaelPrytheUlrike
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoMember Posts: 3,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited January 2015
    I think its a bit too late for those considerations to take full root in Achaea. I honestly would be disappointed if they allowed the Merchants to get out of Hashan as a House proper only to demote them to a clan, even if it is a High Clan. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

EphramNimNemutaur
  • ValariaValaria Member Posts: 400 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Tecton said:
    We need to overhaul the way Certimene works for Delos houses, which requires that all of the other cities have their own inductor (that they get in the renaissance). Once all of the cities are done, then the cityless houses will be next!

More than 5 years ago or so, I recall Sarapis or other coder once said that achaea's code was the spaghetti codes that was so messy. It probably cleaner than it was in the past (or still is...)

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • RispokRispok Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Tecton said:
    We need to overhaul the way Certimene works for Delos houses, which requires that all of the other cities have their own inductor (that they get in the renaissance). Once all of the cities are done, then the cityless houses will be next!
    Thanks for explaining the process behind the delay. I can't say I'm thrilled, but at least I now I have an understanding for the decision and a way to explain it when people badger me and the rest of the council.
    Ulrike
  • KygoKygo Member Posts: 26 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    @Tecton, think you mentioned in the news or here on the forums somewhere that since knight changes are completed, the Renaissance is going to move a lot faster. How much faster are we talking? You gotta at least give me enough time to get Sempai! :) Excited to see what the changes bring to Ashtan
  • AustereAustere TennesseeMember Posts: 2,305 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited March 2015
    Kygo said:
    @Tecton, think you mentioned in the news or here on the forums somewhere that since knight changes are completed, the Renaissance is going to move a lot faster. How much faster are we talking? You gotta at least give me enough time to get Sempai! :) Excited to see what the changes bring to Ashtan
    I am still leaning towards them deleting all old houses left.  Seems to be the trend thus far, so i don't really think Sempai is going to mean much for long.  Doing the work now will show that you're interested in the future, though. Sempai reqs were always fun too. I have done then three times across characters. (Assuming they have not drastically changed)
  • SarathaiSarathai Member Posts: 2,139 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Austere said:
    Kygo said:
    I am still leaning towards them deleting all old houses left.  Seems to be the trend thus far, so i don't really think Sempai is going to mean much for long.
    Soon, in Achaea, nobody will notice Sempai.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

Trilliana
  • MorthifMorthif Member Posts: 1,719 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Lies, @Rohai will be a Kohai for life
    NimRohai
  • KygoKygo Member Posts: 26 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Want to have the title just as an accomplishment. Completing the Ashura Academy of War is pretty uncommon unless you have some dedication. Most phase out at Kohai
  • JacenJacen Member Posts: 2,306 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Austere said:
    Sempai reqs were always fun too. I have done then three times across characters. (Assuming they have not drastically changed)

Oh? Never been Ashuran, would you mind sharing what those reqs are, or what makes them fun?
  • RohaiRohai Member Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Morthif said:
    Lies, @Rohai will be a Kohai for life
    Kohai Rohai 5ever, naturally.
    Caoimhaen
  • AustereAustere TennesseeMember Posts: 2,305 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Jacen said:
    Austere said:
    Sempai reqs were always fun too. I have done then three times across characters. (Assuming they have not drastically changed)

Oh? Never been Ashuran, would you mind sharing what those reqs are, or what makes them fun?
    Have to remember, this had been a while. Go easy if I don't remember properly.  The diligence one was probably my favorite.  Back when I did it, it was 30 ranked spars of at least 7 classes, I think.  I think they cut the total to 15 now,  though. It was also incredibly easy to find sparring partners, because everyone knew at the time knew you needed a ton(everyone has had an Ashuran alt).   All of the requirements really did make you learn what they were trying to teach.

Looking up at your superiors actually made you want to try.  There were very few Sempai and above that wouldn't rip your face off in the arena(it's still this way as far as I know). My first time sparring Rennyn(first Ad for me). ..ugh.  

The way the ranks were split up,  you still had two full ranks to gain after getting out of novicehood (Kohai).  You didn't suddenly hit full member and run out of things to do.  I don't think it is even possible to be a Sempai at hr 5. They forced city ranks too. While the entire community was very tight knit,  they wanted you to interact with your city and show you were helpful in multiple fields.  Once you had Sempai,  they would just find something else for you to do.  Gunsou, Daimyo, Shikan, Renshi (almost everyone was aided). Good luck on procrastination,  Enyd would be all over you telling you to do work. It was not boring,  and the rewards for doing the requirements was respect.

The history(which you were required to learn) is also incredible.  

The Ashura was also the first house to actually explain anything to me.  My first attempt at Achaea was almost sad.  I joined a house(won't name),  the person doing my orientation(house leader) did a quick run through, mentored me mechanically and then never helped again.  I used punch until well into level 40, and didn't really learn about minia until my second char.. The Ashura always seemed like someone had the time to help you. . Loved it.  They will always hold a place in my heart(Thi is still Austere's mentor)
    Aereidhna
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the StormMember Posts: 3,178 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    You can't apply for Sempai until you reach HR4 and CR2, Sempai gives you HR5. There's still Sensei above that, but you're not pushed to work at Sensei reqs if you don't want to, meaning Sensei has a degree of exclusivity.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
    Austere
  • ExelethrilExelethril Member Posts: 3,356 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Klendathu said:
    You can't apply for Sempai until you reach HR4 and CR2, Sempai gives you HR5. There's still Sensei above that, but you're not pushed to work at Sensei reqs if you don't want to, meaning Sensei has a degree of exclusivity.
    Sempai :lol: Is that an actual title in the Ashura?

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
    SyriCaoimhaenTrilliana
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the StormMember Posts: 3,178 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Standard titles are Deshi (HR1 and 2), Kohai (HR3 and 4), Sempai (HR5+), Sensei (people who have gone over and above)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
    CaoimhaenTrilliana
  • TrillianaTrilliana Member Posts: 1,989 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Klendathu said:
    Yeah... every time I see it, I think "Notice me, senpai~"
    meh

CaoimhaenExelethril
  • TrillianaTrilliana Member Posts: 1,989 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Kross said:
    Trilliana said:
    Klendathu said:
    Yeah... every time I see it, I think "Notice me, senpai~"
    Never
    I guess no moving to Ashtan for me.. *weep*
    meh

Caoimhaen
  • VayneVayne Rhode IslandMember Posts: 1,897 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Finally.
    AchimrstShirszaeCaoimhaen
  • OuraniaOurania The Garden of the GodsMember Posts: 508 Immortal
    Vayne said:
    Finally.
    Back in your corner until I have stollen all of @Lorielan's crystals to build a floating underground city.

NimBluef
  • LorielanLorielan Moderator Posts: 224 Immortal
    Watch it, @Ourania! I reckon I can send Hashan the way of those pesky Icons!
    HalosAchimrstBluef
  • KryptonKrypton shi-KhurenaMember Posts: 2,377 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Ourania said:
    Vayne said:
    Finally.
    Back in your corner until I have stollen all of @Lorielan's crystals to build a floating underground city.

Mmm... stollen...

(Mhaldor): Herenicus says, "Apologies, I am in-and-out of hold with Verizon wireless customer service."
    ExelethrilAurom
Sign In to Comment.