Seeing what adventurers are wearing

If your character is wearing a reasonable amount of clothing, and you have four resistance rings, and you have a pack, a pouch and a kitbag, various sheathes, artifacts etc then it doesn't take long before it looks a bit like this :

He is wearing:
 a sturdy pair of explorer's boots,
 an Aldar talisman,
 a sailor's kitbag bearing the arms of the The Sefyric Mariners Guild clan,
 a small iron sheath,
 a leather shoulder scabbard,
 a Torc of Telepathy,
 a pair of eagle's wings,
 a ring of pestilence,
 a quiver,
 a Hood of the Sphinx,
 austere grey robes,
 a mystical wizard's hat,
 a bone ring with an ice rune,
 a brooch of Thoth,
 a leather backstrap,
 a black leather baldric,
 a simple silver necklace,
 a green handkerchief with a rearing stag,
 an elegantly carved azure and white sheath,
 a leather tabac pouch,
 a signet ring bearing the arms of Ognog,
 a bone ring with a fire rune,
 a bone ring with a magic rune,
 a bone ring with a lightning rune,
 a cloak of Whiirh bearing the arms of Arcanekindred,
 a thin black leather belt with silver buckle,
 a pair of men's durable black trousers,
 a midnight black linen shirt, and
 a fine leather traveller's knapsack

Wow. That's a lot of information to take in at a glance, and everything is jumbled up without any logical order.

Wouldn't it be nice if things were sorted with the most important things for building a mental picture at the top like this :

He is wearing:
 austere grey robes,
 a cloak of Whiirh bearing the arms of Arcanekindred,
 a pair of men's durable black trousers,
 a thin black leather belt with silver buckle,
 a midnight black linen shirt, and
 a sturdy pair of explorer's boots,
 a mystical wizard's hat,
 a green handkerchief with a rearing stag,
 a fine leather traveller's knapsack
 a sailor's kitbag bearing the arms of the The Sefyric Mariners Guild clan,
 a leather tabac pouch,
 a bone ring with a fire rune,
 a bone ring with a magic rune,
 a bone ring with a lightning rune,
 a bone ring with an ice rune,
 a small iron sheath,
 a leather shoulder scabbard,
 a leather backstrap,
 a black leather baldric,
 a quiver,
 an elegantly carved azure and white sheath,
 a brooch of Thoth,
 a ring of pestilence,
 a simple silver necklace,
 a Hood of the Sphinx,
 a Torc of Telepathy,
 a pair of eagle's wings,
 a signet ring bearing the arms of Ognog,
 an Aldar talisman

Now imagine a step further with it looking like this (ala the new SCORE command styling) :

He is wearing:
He is wearing:
+-Clothes---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| austere grey robes |
| a cloak of Whiirh bearing the arms of Arcanekindred: Sable, a staff Or |
| a pair of men's durable black trousers |
| a thin black leather belt with silver buckle |
| a midnight black linen shirt |
| a sturdy pair of explorer's boots |
| a mystical wizard's hat |
| a green handkerchief with a rearing stag |
+-Packs and Bags_-------------------------------------------------------------+
| a fine leather traveller's knapsack |
| a sailor's kitbag bearing the arms of the The Sefyric Mariners Guild clan : |
| Azure, a shambrough Or |
| a leather tabac pouch |
+-Jewellery-------------------------------------------------------------------+
| a bone ring with a fire rune |
| a bone ring with a magic rune |
| a bone ring with a lightning rune |
| a bone ring with an ice rune |
+-Weapon Holders--------------------------------------------------------------+
| a small iron sheath |
| a leather shoulder scabbard |
| a leather backstrap |
| a black leather baldric |
| a quiver |
| an elegantly carved azure and white sheath |
+-Conjurations----------------------------------------------------------------+
| a brooch of Thoth |
| a ring of pestilence |
| a simple silver necklace |
+-Artifacts-------------------------------------------------------------------+
| a Hood of the Sphinx |
| a Torc of Telepathy |
| a pair of eagle's wings |
| a signet ring bearing the arms of Ognog |
| an Aldar talisman |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Better? What do you think?

Comments

• Stuff similar to this idea gets idea'd pretty often. There's another one on the front page of ideas.

It's pretty much in the category of, "Obviously this is a good idea, but it's scraping the bottom of the priority barrel."

So, don't hold your breath.

• Orb of suppression sounds great, but it's a fairly blunt instrument for arranging what is seen. It only controls visibility of artifacts.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Related to this, but not worth creating a new topic, can we change how emblazoned items are displayed? Emblazoned items have absurdly long "short" descriptions, and I've always found it jarring. It was necessary in the past, but now that we can LOOK OGNOG <item> for the long description, what if the short desc was kept to "an emblazoned <whatever>" and the actual coat of arms was relegated to the long description?
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    edited March 2015
    Also can full plate please cover shirts/pants so I don't have to buy them because that would make sense? 

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • @Kenway if ya wanna free-ball, buy a kilt and join the Dwarves of Kongol Drak :D

• KuyKuy
    edited March 2015
    Ognog said:
    @Kenway if ya wanna free-ball, buy a kilt and join the Dwarves of Kongol Drak :D
    Or come to my house.

*waggle Kenway*
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • Kenway said:
    Not lookin' to "free-ball". Just dislike the fact that my 'full plate' armour is evidently transparent. I don't care if I'm dressed to the nines in a three piece. If I'm wearing full plate you should be entirely unaware that I am a fancy motherfucker.
    That's almost the entire reason I'm pissed off about not having non-decay fullplate, so people are aware that I am a fancy motherfucker.

• It's true that stuff like this is generally viewed as low priority - but let's face it, a lot of people in all of the games seem to care a lot about exactly this sort of thing (often even those of us who admit it's "low priority"), so while it's true that in the past, when there were lots of huge imbalances that people were upset about, this sort of thing had to be all but ignored, maybe now these things can get more attention, because it seems like we're in a better place overall.  I do like the breakup of items in this particular one. 
  • SharaShara Midlands
    I have a set of aliases that remove, store, and take out pieces of clothing and jewelry to be worn in a head to toe order. It bugged me, much more than perhaps it should, to look at my wear lines and see things like my shoes at the top of the list. I wouldn't mind the lines being sorted by category in order to make looking at other people, fancy or otherwise, more bearable. 
  • Clothing is sorted in the display by decay date. Eventually, you'll find that any artefacts you own go toward the top of that list before everyday, tailored wearables.

I'm a bit OCD about this myself, so because there's nothing I can do about the way my artefacts show up when people LOOK at me, I try to keep my last three items in some semblance of order: Dress, cloak, boots. But to do this, I have to keep an eye on my own appearance, and toss away clothing once one piece of apparel becomes closer to decay time than another and thus leaps ahead in my description.

I would absolutely love it if we had clothing slots ad infinitum. We could simply move a tailored or jeweler-made item or an artefact we were wearing into a slot and voiila! It would appear in that order in our description or clothing list, regardless of decay time.
  • SharaShara Midlands
    edited March 2015
    Actually, worn items are sorted by the order in which it is added to your inventory. Remove your things, drop them all, pick them up in the order you'd like to see them in, and wear them to test it. 

(also invite me over to watch- observe!- for science. ;) )
  • They're ordered by the order they appear in your inventory. Normally that's the order they were added to your inventory (especially if you regularly drop/pick up clothing items to control that order) but there seems to be a relatively regular reordering of items by item number that goes on.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited March 2015
    I've experimented with this (starting after some frustrating attempts to make appearance less ruly after loaning out artefacts, etc). It doesn't seem to matter what order I pick the items up in or wear them. For whatever reason, decay rate always rules the order that my decay-able items appear in when someone looks at me. Maybe that's a bug. I'm not sure. But that's why I create and then wear my clothing items in a very specific order. 
  • WeiWei Monterey, California
    I tend to put things in my pack or drop them, then get them back in the proper order (or, at least what I feel is the proper order...).
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I save the following in a notepad for ease of use:

remove diadem; remove collar; remove pendant; remove amulet; remove necklace; remove brooch; remove pin; remove pack; remove pouch; remove satchel; remove sash; remove armband; remove gown; remove wings; remove medallion; remove ring; remove ring; remove ring; remove bracelet; remove belt; remove quiver; remove anklet; remove boots; drop diadem; drop collar; drop pendant; drop amulet; drop necklace; drop brooch; drop pin; drop pack; drop pouch; drop satchel; drop sash; drop armband; drop gown; drop wings; drop medallion; drop ring; drop ring; drop ring; drop bracelet; drop belt; drop quiver; drop anklet; drop boots; get diadem; get collar; get pendant; get amulet; get necklace; get brooch; get pin; get pack; get pouch; get satchel; get sash; get armband; get gown; get wings; get medallion; get ring; get ring; get ring; get bracelet; get belt; get quiver; get anklet; get boots; wear diadem; wear collar; wear pendant; wear amulet; wear necklace; wear brooch; wear pin; wear pack; wear pouch; wear satchel; wear sash; wear armband; wear gown; wear wings; wear medallion; wear ring; wear ring; wear ring; wear bracelet; wear belt; wear quiver; wear anklet; wear boots

Welcome to my nightmare.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    I save the following in a notepad for ease of use:

remove diadem; remove collar; remove pendant; remove amulet; remove necklace; remove brooch; remove pin; remove pack; remove pouch; remove satchel; remove sash; remove armband; remove gown; remove wings; remove medallion; remove ring; remove ring; remove ring; remove bracelet; remove belt; remove quiver; remove anklet; remove boots; drop diadem; drop collar; drop pendant; drop amulet; drop necklace; drop brooch; drop pin; drop pack; drop pouch; drop satchel; drop sash; drop armband; drop gown; drop wings; drop medallion; drop ring; drop ring; drop ring; drop bracelet; drop belt; drop quiver; drop anklet; drop boots; get diadem; get collar; get pendant; get amulet; get necklace; get brooch; get pin; get pack; get pouch; get satchel; get sash; get armband; get gown; get wings; get medallion; get ring; get ring; get ring; get bracelet; get belt; get quiver; get anklet; get boots; wear diadem; wear collar; wear pendant; wear amulet; wear necklace; wear brooch; wear pin; wear pack; wear pouch; wear satchel; wear sash; wear armband; wear gown; wear wings; wear medallion; wear ring; wear ring; wear ring; wear bracelet; wear belt; wear quiver; wear anklet; wear boots

Welcome to my nightmare.
    If only you could save it in your client and assign a very small command - let's call it an 'alias', for instance - to allow you to do it inside the client.
  • Something like this ought to work
    myWearableItems = {
    -- Item IDs in the order to wear them
    "12345",
    "34567",
    "09876"
    }

function organizeWearables()
    {
    for _,v in pairs(myWearableItems) do
    sendAll("remove " .. v, "drop " .. v, "get " .. v, "wear " .. v)
    end
    }

• it's been a long time since I looked at lua but I think pairs will iterate in any random order, rather than the specific order they're in in the table
  • Nope, it actually does it in order if its a... hell, I dunno the names of the different types of the tables. Not a key,value table

• Lua documentation calls it a list, I think. I always think of it as an array since that's what it is.

Dictionaries (key value pair tables) aren't ordered so there's no guarantee what order they'll be iterated in.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    As it's an indexed list (not using a key / value pair), you can use ipairs to iterate the table in order:
    for _,v in ipairs(myWearableItems) do

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Sarapis said:
    At some point we're definitely going to be doing a clothing slot system, so that the game knows that an overcoat covers up a shirt, or that boots cover socks, etc. I don't know when it'll happen, but it will happen. Once it does, it's easy to set priorities automatically for what clothing shows, and let you change the order that slots show in.
    I would 'like' or 'awesome' that again if I could, but I can't...so I am telling you I want to. 
  • Sarapis said:
    At some point we're definitely going to be doing a clothing slot system, so that the game knows that an overcoat covers up a shirt, or that boots cover socks, etc. I don't know when it'll happen, but it will happen. Once it does, it's easy to set priorities automatically for what clothing shows, and let you change the order that slots show in.
    Thank you!!! I'm so excited that I don't even care that we have no idea when this may come to be. That it's on the list of to-dos is enough for me. Yay!!!
  • Jacen said:
    Nope, it actually does it in order if its a... hell, I dunno the names of the different types of the tables. Not a key,value table

There's only one type of table in Lua. If you define a table like tbl = {'first','second','third'}, that's exactly the same as explicitly passing the indices as keys, like tbl = {[1]='first',[2]='second',[3]='third'}; the first version is just syntactic sugar for the second. The difference in iteration behavior is a feature of the iterator function you use, i.e. pairs, ipairs, or whatever other version you want to define.
This discussion has been closed.