Class Concepts

Comments

• To give a comparison, by the way, Mutation would be their Primary/Bashing skillset, Insanity would be their secondary/buff skillset, and Oneness would be their Tertiary/PK/Extra Bonuses skillset.

• Kresslack said:
    Dual wielding halberds like a boss.
    Ftfy

• edited March 2015
    Bluef said:
    I've always wanted to see something like a cross between Outriders and Rangers in Imperian -- but with more of a rogueish flair. With access to traps, darts, knife play, bowmanship, but also stealth, tracking and the like. They would be all about survival in nature, but they wouldn't necessarily be nature-aligned; instead, they would be more nomadic (fast movement in all terrains and an inclination for exploration) and less tribal than sentinals and shaman; really less attached to civilization in any form. 

My friends who play and I have talked about something like this a lot. A person who is more of a ranger/hunter that seeks to dominate nature and use it rather than worship it or protect it.

We saw it as a sort of foil to Blademaster, where they use dirty tricks instead of fighting and use a one handed crossbow that uses elemental arrows that do different effects. I see the combat being vaguely similar where you use enchant the arrow, shoot the bow, use a trick like kicking someone in the throat.

Instead of being vaguely honor bound, make the mobs who share the skill like old gentlemanly like hunter. Like Lords going out foxing and stuff, make it flashy like bards...with a little bit of bravado.

Edit: Also we saw the skilltrees like this :Archery...using the hand crossbow
    , then Trophies or Gamesmenship or something...where you get your traps and using like certain trophies you take from hunting the low level animals around sapience and make items from. These items would last like 30 months IC, and obviously can be made customizeable and such. Like a rabbit's foot for crits, bear pelt for weathering and toughness, maybe a wolf pelt for extra movement...and you can only wear a certain amount....and lastly the trickery skill where you learn how to kick sand in someone's face and stuff for afflictions.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I've always more or less reserved the concept of crossbows as something of the tool of an assassin. Compact, typically lightweight, easy to clamber upon a rooftop with, and in many an urban environment it is the ideal projectile weapon. Lots of power and very versatile.

Whereas I've always seen bows as more of a field weapon, something to be used by a ranger/hunter who makes their survival off the land, or by designated archers on a battlefield.

• Nizana said:
    Given what I've seen in Achaea thus far, and other IRE games, I will have to say something like the Marauder from Warhammer combined with Chaos elements of Ashtan.

Skills:
    1st- Mutation
    ***Similar to the Illuminati Transmology, they would mutate their body through the use of Karma (think Tentacles in Occultism!) or some other resource.. or maybe none at all! Just have it laid out like Metamorphosis.
    2nd- Oneness
    ***Essentially a mix of Domination and Spiritlore. Through pacts made with the entities of Chaos, they are not merely granted minions. They are possessed.
    3rd- Insanity
    ***Think along the lines of Chivalry, or Shindo/Kaido. Self-focused buffs with some skills relating to imparting insanity of some form.

It'd basically be my version of the Chaos Knight class. You Targossians can keep your Paladins, and Mhaldorians can have their Infernals! Runeguards, get back to your forests and your Cyrene!

Bring on the Chaos!

They would wear Ringmail at the most, no armor at the least. They would have no use for shields, due to Mutation, but they could wield one (reduces skill options, of course). Ideally... there'd be different combination of weapons and mutations, where the mutations would have different effects, or none at all, depending on the weapons their wield (if any) while they use the abilities.

So, a Berserker/Chaos Knight?
  • Kresslack said:
    I've always more or less reserved the concept of crossbows as something of the tool of an assassin. Compact, typically lightweight, easy to clamber upon a rooftop with, and in many an urban environment it is the ideal projectile weapon. Lots of power and very versatile.

Whereas I've always seen bows as more of a field weapon, something to be used by a ranger/hunter who makes their survival off the land, or by designated archers on a battlefield.
    I can definitely see that. I suppose I just saw the crossbow as something to set them apart, but that can be done in many other ways. Such as a quest akin to the blade quest to make your bow, giving you different lengths and styles. Different woods and such. Long to Composite. 
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Kresslack said:

I've actually tried to come up with a good way to really bring crossbows into achaea before. but the main thing I could think of would be higher damage at a lower reload speed. Which is basically what we have with bows now. On the other hand if it was just like, More damage slower balance that wouldn't work in achaea as well because well who used battleaxes as knights when you could have rapiers (Some lv3 battleaxes aside) except for niche moments.

---
    Also I don't think "Beserker" would work -to- well in Achaea personally, because when I think Beserker I think of things that take more damage to give more damage, like Reaver from Dragonage or Olaf from league of legends.

The problem with this is. Arash is basically the same thing. and how often are you going to use arash when classes are using abilities like bbt when if you take more damage your going to fall over, even if you had lifesteal type abilities, you wouldn't be able to use them prone, or if you did then you'd be unkillable. Hard to balance that in the way our game works imo

• If Achaea's balance wasn't almost always following the action, one way to balance bows and crossbows would be to just make crossbows fire near instantly (but take more time to reload later, with something preventing you from just having fifty crossbows and shooting all of them at once), while a bow would fire at the end, making bows better at a range, while crossbows better as a once-off.

I could see crossbows being useful in fire and cover situations (where a group just tries to pick off one target at a time) or near-melee situations (using as a lead-in or maybe a damage finisher IDK), while bows would be the more reliable weapon at range.
    Caladbolg said:
    Kresslack said:

I've actually tried to come up with a good way to really bring crossbows into achaea before. but the main thing I could think of would be higher damage at a lower reload speed. Which is basically what we have with bows now. On the other hand if it was just like, More damage slower balance that wouldn't work in achaea as well because well who used battleaxes as knights when you could have rapiers (Some lv3 battleaxes aside) except for niche moments.
    As far as crossbows go, they shouldn't work more or less as bows do, and they certainly shouldn't have the ability to operate with the same projectiles (arrows) as they do now. They should be constricted to using bolt, and perhaps be set up to where they do the most damage when fired in close quarters.

For instance, if firing a bolt at someone in the same room, you would expect this to do a significant amount of damage (maybe as much darkbows currently do now), and maybe even stun/induce bleeding. If fired at a target in an adjacent room, they would do a bit less damage, and that damage would scale down the further the target was away.

This could even be restricted to allowing bolts to be fired at targets which are in LoS of up to three rooms or greater, but having the damage considerably dredged down to take into consideration the significant loss of velocity which would occur in those conditions.

---
    Also I don't think "Beserker" would work -to- well in Achaea personally, because when I think Beserker I think of things that take more damage to give more damage, like Reaver from Dragonage or Olaf from league of legends.

The problem with this is. Arash is basically the same thing. and how often are you going to use arash when classes are using abilities like bbt when if you take more damage your going to fall over, even if you had lifesteal type abilities, you wouldn't be able to use them prone, or if you did then you'd be unkillable. Hard to balance that in the way our game works imo

In regards to Beserkers, an idea for this would be to instead of opening them up to taking more damage outright, such as with Arash, allow them to enter a 'Beserk' state of mind in which they handle damage in a similar way to Numb. They wouldn't be able to use shields, or anything higher than say leather, but would have increased constitution to be able to withstand more damage, while still being able to deal out a fair share as well.

This could be accompanied by a condition that when a Beserker goes into the Beserk mode, it has to run its course, during which they cannot designate a target and will therefore simply attack the first person (and perhaps thing) that catches their attention.

• -Saltes master-
    Inspired by the book "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" by H.P. Lovecraft. Its a little bit Necromancer, occultist, alchemist/Shaman rolled into one.

The First skill would be "Saltes" in which the Saltes Master has to find different denizens, kill them and reduce their corpses to ash/essential saltes which could be able to be cached much like tarot cards are. These saltes can be used and combined in various quantities to raise 2-3 loyal beings with varying traits which would be reflected in their short descriptions. Certain traits wouldn't be able to coexist with traits leading to a balancing act by the master. The beings can lend both bashing and PK support depending on what you mix.

The second one is "Knowledge" which is like the occultists' pacts. These hold most of your personal defences which can range from a simple enchantment to bigger things. Bigger meaning you would have to collect certain things, perform a ritual which summons a greater being which you would use you skills (could be straight out bashfest but I think something like the Lusternia influence system would be excellent here) to dominate the being which will give you access to stronger defences. Perhaps after 2 years the words to summon the defence will begin to drift from your mind making you have to redo the ritual.

Third is "Accusation" (or something better named). Which will be the afflictions skill.. I haven't given much thought to this one.

• Nim said:
    He's a Cyrenian barbarian, that's all.

An alternative universe @Bronislav, I believe.
    ..Pfft. Alternate?

You've seen what happens when Bronislav gets territorial. :smile: My only thing is, rage ≠ chaos. I see the correlation, but Bron would almost be insulted that his fury is beyond his control, even when he's turning it towards bad people.

• Pirates!  Ok.

Pirates are such a strong archetype, shaped as much by the vast body of pirate fiction that's built upon itself as by what they were in the real world. There are references to some of those pieces of pirate fiction in this class, but also some more original elements that would place them within the world of Achaea.

The backstory I imagine for the class is something involving Raclawice, the lost Goddess of Rogues. (She gambled and lost her Divinity to Hermes, who was since destroyed by Bal'met. It's easy to imagine that 'losing' her Divine mantle was part of a long con and she's still out there somewhere, biding her time and waiting to swindle back another God's immortality. But an active Raclawice is not necessary for this class.) In centuries long past, in days of blood and thunder, Raclawice would have been a patron figure to a culture of Pirate Kings and Queens who ran rampant across land and sea. She'd be the one who taught them several of their tricks like twisting their fate and creating magic maps. Those monarchs are forgotten now, but parts of their legacy are rediscovered, and modern ne'er-do-wells claim their ways. Lost treasures of the Pirate Kings - mythical maps, enormous treasure troves, hidden islands, sunken wrecks - could provide ongoing RP hooks for the class.

I anticipate three major pitfalls. #1 is that seafarers who practise piracy would take umbrage with their title being usurped by a class, so they may need a different name (corsair, buccaneer, swaglord etc). #2 is that the class has major themes of underhandedness and general bastardry which, assuming the class is made available to everyone, somewhat disqualifies them from the more upstanding cities like Targossas and Cyrene. I was considering a counterpart class to pirates that replaced Piracy with a more noble skill, involving guiding lost souls to rest with lanterns holding different coloured flames, and a more dignified version of Brawling, but obviously I didn't get that far. #3 is that they're primarily dual-wielders, switching between cutting and blunt weapons. Knights were just reworked with a variety of dual-wielding styles including cutting and blunt. I am treating this problem by ignoring it.

Some of the design, especially the main PK elements of Brawling and Navigation, is very incomplete. I found it really difficult to nail down a balanced PVP offense with specific details like balance times, and affliction capabilities vs cure timing. So I just, you know, didn't. But this isn't a proper proposal, so that stuff doesn't matter.

The skills! Their three skills are Piracy, Brawling, and Navigation.

Piracy comprises general utility and flavour. There are a couple of supporting PK abilities in here. Alcohol and drunkenness is a large pirate theme; they would only wear perhaps ringmail or scalemail, and would not wield shields, but would gain damage resistance based on intoxication level, and be resistant to the negative effects of intoxication.

Swagger
    Companion
    Oceangoer
    Eyepatch
    Distilling
    Heavyweight
    Swig
    DwarvenCourage
    OldSoak
    RedRain
    Shanty
    Toast
    GrapplingHook
    TreasureTrove
    Plunder
    Notoriety
    SkeletonCrew
    PiecesOfFate
    Grog
    BlackSpot

Click spoiler for ability details.
    [spoiler]Swagger:
    Passive: Permanent 33% increased chance to bypass movement-hindering effects like Piety and Gravehands.
    Active: Can be activated once per hour (150 mana, no EQ/bal cost) to grant +1 move/second for 25 seconds.

Companion:
    Tame a wild animal companion and train them to do your bidding.
    Companion animal options:
    - monkey (can wear a little hat and smoke cigars)
    - macaw (can fly, repeats some words)
    - mongoose (can subdue snakes)
    Functions:
    - Will retrieve daggers you throw.
    - Can be ordered to move around, follow, attack.

Oceangoer:
    +1 move/second while aboard seafaring vessels.
    (The class is not designed around seafaring at all, but I thought it needed some acknowledgment that pirates and ships go together. Any major seafaring advantages, like unique ship capabilities or extra SPPs, would have alienated non-pirate-classed pirates.)

Eyepatch:
    After wearing an eyepatch for 30 seconds, LIFT EYEPATCH will cure you of blackout.

Distilling:
    Use stills in various locations to distill spirits like rum, gin, vodka, tequila, and triple sec. Fill your cask with spirits. Distribute it into bottles. Drink.

Heavyweight:
    Passive: Immunity to alcohol poisoning, vomiting, and unconsciousness from drunkenness at all but the highest level of intoxication.
    Active: Gain a defense that confers damage resistance based on your level of drunkenness. Perhaps 10% cutting/blunt and 5% elemental resistance for the base level of drunkenness, and +0.5% per level of drunkenness beyond that.

Swig:
    Take a swig of alcohol to heal 25% health and a random affliction (3.5s EQ). Increases drunkenness by a moderate amount.
    (If you reach the highest level of intoxication, Heavyweight will cease to fully protect you from alcohol poisoning and unconsciousness.)

DwarvenCourage:
    Gain a defense that grants immunity to fear while drunk.

OldSoak:
    Toggled defense: 100% resistance to fumbling actions while drunk. 90% resistance to slurring speech while drunk. Minor willpower drain.

RedRain: (Mysian Meteor Shower?)
    Stuff a rag down the neck of a bottle of alcohol, set it ablaze, and hurl it one room in a specified direction. Sets ablaze anyone not shielded. Burns away the shields of anyone shielded. Can be thrown at icewalls to melt them.
    Consumes a bottle of alcohol + 1 cloth. Requires source of ignition.

Shanty:
    Sing a rousing shanty to bolster the spirits of allies in the room, granting them the 'shanty' defense for 30 seconds. This lowers damage taken from NPCs by 5% and increases bal/EQ speed of attacks against NPCs by 5%.
    Syntax: SHANTY <lyrics>. You may optionally supply your own lyrics. The low duration of the defense encourages you to compose your own songs and sing a new line every 30 seconds.

Toast:
    Raise a toast to your allies. For the next 60 seconds, allies who heard the toast and drink alcohol in your presence will regenerate some endurance and willpower.
    Regeneration is only be gained once per toast. Toast can only be used once per hour. Or once per Serenade?

GrapplingHook
    Use a sweet grappling hook to ascend to the trees.
    Snare people in line of sight, and pull them towards your room one room at a time until they writhe free.
    Launch yourself from trees, rigging, and rooftops in an awesome dive kick.
    Grab items in adjacent rooms.
    Snare fliers.
    What it actually does is less important than that they have grappling hooks.

TreasureTrove
    A truth known by pirates and bankers alike is that wealth attracts more wealth. By investing a trove of your treasure with a portion of your soul, you may turn it into a beacon to bring fortune to your future. But hide it well: other pirates are greedy, and will want to plunder your riches.
    TREASURETROVE BURY <amount of gold> in an outdoors, non-city, non-wilderness (etc etc) room will create a treasure trove and fill it with the specified amount of gold. Creating a treasure trove also costs an amount of experience corresponding to how much gold you use.
    Gain +X% gold dropped while bashing and from quest rewards, and +X% exp from all sources. The more gold and experience invested in the trove, the greater the rewards, up to a certain limit.
    TREASURETROVE RETRIEVE: When at the location of your trove, retrieving all the buried gold and invested experience. This will destroy the trove.
    TREASURETROVE RECALL: Remember where you buried your trove.
    TREASURETROVE ABANDON: From any location, abandon and destroy your trove. You will lose any buried gold and experience.
    Most others will not be able to see your trove, and will not unearth it by digging. See Plunder ability for more.

Plunder
    Just as you may bury your own trove, you can seek out and plunder the troves of lesser pirates who do not conceal their booty. A trove is a semi-magical thing and cannot be unearthed in the conventional sense - its location can only be discovered in times of weakness of the soul.
    When at the location of a dead pirate's body or soul, you may PLUNDER <player>. This won't tell you the trove location, but it will give you a random room in a random area, as you triangulate from ley-lines or whatever. Go to that room and repeat, and you'll get another room. Repeat this five times total and you'll discover and plunder their horde, gaining all the gold and experience invested within.
    While another pirate is trying to plunder your trove, you may return to its location and TREASURETROVE PROTECT to end their hunt.

Notoriety:
    Gain notoriety based on your PVP kills, NPC village feelings, and maybe some other factors like sinking ships? Pirates can check the notoriety of other pirates. Once you have a certain amount of notoriety you may shape your reputation towards one of cruelty, wisdom, or tenacity, and take on the title of Dread Pirate, Ancient Mariner, or Sea Dog.
    Dread Pirate: +1 str. Can INCITE MUTINY in areas where you have severely negative village feelings, which has a chance to cause NPCs to run away or attack each other if multiple village-allied NPCs are fighting you.
    Ancient Mariner: +1 int. +5% exp from quests? I don't know.
    Sea Dog: +1 con. Can gain the Scrapper defense, to take -5% damage from NPCs in areas where you have severely negative village feelings.
    (This is all a bit vague, but, yeah. I liked the idea of pirates being able to specialise towards different titles, and be rivals in pursuit of glory.)

SkeletonCrew:
    Summon drowned spirits to attack your enemies in the room. DreadPirates summon skeletons, AncientMariners summon ancient spirits, and SeaDogs summon sea wolves.
    (Perhaps these are NPCs that deal damage/afflictions, but each die to a single attack. Does your opponent lose momentum to quickly kill your skeleton crew, or suffer through their attacks?)

PiecesOfFate:
    Invest a small portion of your fate into an item.
    FATE WEAVE <item>
    FATE SENSE
    You can now tell where this item is at any time:
    - If it's on the ground, which room it is in.
    - If being held by a player, their name and which room they are in.
    - If being held by an NPC, its name.
    - If it's in a container, the container's name, and which player is holding it.
    Creating a piece of fate costs experience. Only one can be created at a time, as anything more would unravel your fate and untether you from the skein of existence.
    Probing an item will reveal whether it is a piece of fate. Only mundane items may be turned into pieces of fate (eg. no artifacts).
    Riftable items may be turned into a piece of fate, but anything placed into the rift will have its fate stripped away.
    (Pirates should not have roguish abilities on par with serpents - no shroud, no evade, no illusions - but I thought this would be interesting without usurping any of their capabilities. It's also one of a couple of pirate abilities that share the theme of manipulating one's fate and destiny.)

Grog:
    Drink the ultimate pirate brew: grog. Gain temporary immunity to death. Also grow hair on your chest.
    Invincibility lasts for 15(?) seconds. Anything that would kill you cannot take you below 1 health, including damage and instakills, but not Divine power.
    When the invincibility fades, you will be left EXTREMELY drunk, and Heavyweight and OldSoak will cease to function. So you'll be lapsing unconscious, fumbling most of your actions, and taking damage from alcohol poisoning: easy meat for anyone left alive who wants to kill you.
    Can only be used once per like 6 hours or w/e.
    The recipe for grog is secret, but may contain one or more of the following: kerosene, propylene glycol, artificial sweeteners, sulphuric acid, rum, acetone, red dye no. 2, scumm, axle grease, battery acid, pepperoni.

BlackSpot
    Curse someone by marking them with the black spot, a portent of inescapable death. Any time they receive damage, they take an additional 10% of that in unblockable-type damage.
    (The black spot should probably be some kind of instakill or something, but I couldn't think of a good one.)
    [/spoiler]
  • I would like all of this, please.
    Someone must make it so.
  • If I could have just one class added to Achaea, it would be an elementalist monk.  Would not need anything fancy or extensive, just replace Kaido with Elementalism and use elemental staffstrikes instead of Tekura punches.  I would love this SO much.
  • NimNim
    edited March 2015
    I also want a knife fighting class.

Not quite like the double daggered assassin. More like close-quarters combat and various knifeplay things.

Basically I want to play Ryougi Shiki (or arguably the other Shikis) from Melty Blood. >_>
  • Penwize said:
    If I could have just one class added to Achaea, it would be an elementalist monk.  Would not need anything fancy or extensive, just replace Kaido with Elementalism and use elemental staffstrikes instead of Tekura punches.  I would love this SO much.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Also the armed monk styles as used by Catarin deSangre in her fight against Odysseus Rani *daydream* 

• Katar... Oh man sexy Diablo2 assasins...
  • Penwize said:
    If I could have just one class added to Achaea, it would be an elementalist monk.  Would not need anything fancy or extensive, just replace Kaido with Elementalism and use elemental staffstrikes instead of Tekura punches.  I would love this SO much.

I was honestly thinking more Avatar: The Last Airbender with the elementalism remark.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited March 2015
    if anything it would be nice to add a level 99 class to rival dragons.. Dragons are too mainstream. :)
    hipster Barista - Dragon is too mainstream

I'm currently brainstorming and researching the history to see any plot hole and throw some wrench in there. :) And some idea... one idea is that there was once powerful being in very earlier history but simply forgot and was ceased(or thought to be..) to exist due to the Great Betrayal event. Something to think about...

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Sarathai said:
    I was honestly thinking more Avatar: The Last Airbender with the elementalism remark.
    This please yes.  So much this.  A thousand of these.
  • Sarathai said:
    yeah this sounds great, the Idea of "bending" as a skillset sounds interesting, though im wondering how would be implemented, same with the other ones.

the other concepts are pretty good too, but i think its better to make something new rather than basing it out of... well monks.
  • The thing that made bending great was that it was alive, though. It's really hard to emulate that sort of life in a video game.

It might work in something like Minecraft, where the world itself is sort of actually alive, and the elements have their own logical system to them - even if it's not quite realistic, per se. In Achaea, the elements are flavor, meaning that bending, too, would mostly just be flavor.

In short, I don't see it being all that different from elementalism as-is. That's not to discourage people from suggesting things similar to things that actually exist - just that elementalism doesn't feel nearly the same to me as bending did in Avatar. Elementalism is a specific set of rote spells that do very specific things - and you'll find it difficult to make a class work in Achaea any other way - but bending very, very, very strongly played off of the world.

Not in a "oh, you're on water, no earth bending for you" sort of way that could work in Achaea, but in a "oh, you're on water, time to get creative" sort of way.
    I can't recall the book, but it had those skilled in combat with blade staves, which was awesome.

• Nim said:
    The thing that made bending great was that it was alive, though. It's really hard to emulate that sort of life in a video game.

It might work in something like Minecraft, where the world itself is sort of actually alive, and the elements have their own logical system to them - even if it's not quite realistic, per se. In Achaea, the elements are flavor, meaning that bending, too, would mostly just be flavor.

In short, I don't see it being all that different from elementalism as-is. That's not to discourage people from suggesting things similar to things that actually exist - just that elementalism doesn't feel nearly the same to me as bending did in Avatar. Elementalism is a specific set of rote spells that do very specific things - and you'll find it difficult to make a class work in Achaea any other way - but bending very, very, very strongly played off of the world.

Not in a "oh, you're on water, no earth bending for you" sort of way that could work in Achaea, but in a "oh, you're on water, time to get creative" sort of way.
    yeah, but i can see it working, even if its not "alive".

I Also think having every class with access to all elements would be kind of boring, i would rather have some sort of quest (kinda like the BM sword quest) and let the player choose an element, just one though, and develop a series of attacks and abilities out of that element. I think it would make things more interesting.
  • edited March 2015
    Written as the player.

I do not care about lesson costs.
    Add a true "Wizard" class, and I'm switching.

Difference between Wizard and Magi.
    Magi = Sorcerer = Insta-cast (with few exceptions) = Magic from self(And some crystals)
    Wizard = Semi-Sorcerer = Few Insta-cast = Magic from study/scrolls

Magi = Wimpy offense and burst damage (Unless you get vibes right and holocaust) 
    Wizard = Flinging Firestorm scrolls around like a "baws"

The list goes on...
    Basically, what I'm thinking here is have a class which has restrictions similar to Tarot users, i.e., must inscribe spells on to Scrolls which can take as long as a half day per high-level spell, and have these scrolls take a third the balance of sorcerer spells. 
    Example: Magi (Casts Holocaust) Output = ~2K DMG Equilibrium down for (Sorry, can't remember numbers) ~4seconds.
    Wizard (Casts Firestorm from Scroll) Output = ~2.5K DMG Equilibrium down for ~2seconds.
    Magi has Mana drain of ~800
    Wizard has Mana drain of 0, but takes ~30mins to inscribe a new scroll. Can only cast one scroll a quarter of an Achaean day(15mins)(Due to mental exhaustion)

The three major skills I see are something like...

Wizardry; Straight-up spells. For reference of what I, personally think would be good, see AD&D 2.0 Player's handbook. Naturally, would be balanced and worked out for Achaea. The Irresistible Dance, for instance, would not work.(I think)(Sadface)

Buff-aration(Work in progress); Spells which significantly buff other player's stats/skills for an extended period of time. Helpful for getting gold so that Wizards can afford to buy all the scrolls/(components -maybe?) needed for Wizardry.

Psionics(Or something similar); While barely magical at all as far as adventurers go, the mind of the Wizard is greatly enhanced through mental training. Similar to Kai, but has Extreme buffs for high level (15+) intelligence. Used for mental attacks, defenses, telekinesis, blocking arrows in mid-air with the mind, all that fun stuff which makes Wizards hell to try and kill.

In summary;
    Wizard = Burst damage class at high levels, with some affliction and miscellaneous trap-like skills.
    Can sell long-lasting buffs similar to those of Lucky Sips and Exp Sips for extra gold to afford the...
    Uses scrolls and components for PvP combat, and possibly higher-level anti-Denizen combat. (Soooo want to see Belladonna burn via three Wizards all casting Firestorm at the same time.)
    More sophisticated a class than Magi, can be less exciting, also has higher payoffs for patience, "age", and intelligence.
    (Whereas with Magi, you can still play it well being a 12(or lower)Int Troll who out-tanks everyone while putting down vibes.)

-The Lonesome Willow,
                                       Natliya Cain

I don't like long goodbyes.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Natliya said:
    Written as the player.

I do not care about lesson costs.
    Add a true "Wizard" class, and I'm switching.

The three major skills I see are something like...

Wizardry; Straight-up spells. For reference of what I, personally think would be good, see AD&D 2.0 Player's handbook. Naturally, would be balanced and worked out for Achaea. The Irresistible Dance, for instance, would not work.(I think)(Sadface)

Buff-aration(Work in progress); Spells which significantly buff other player's stats/skills for an extended period of time. Helpful for getting gold so that Wizards can afford to buy all the scrolls/(components -maybe?) needed for Wizardry.

Psionics(Or something similar); While barely magical at all as far as adventurers go, the mind of the Wizard is greatly enhanced through mental training. Similar to Kai, but has Extreme buffs for high level (15+) intelligence. Used for mental attacks, defenses, telekinesis, blocking arrows in mid-air with the mind, all that fun stuff which makes Wizards hell to try and kill.

Eheh. Because you admitted you're coming from a D&D perspective, it's worth pointing out that you just listed off all of the most ridiculously OP elements that ever existed in D&D. A good Wizard could completely troll a campaign if the DM wasn't carefully prepared to contain them, and Psionics were even more ridiculous because there were even fewer restrictions on them.

Just saying, I don't think any Achaean equivalent to D&D Wizard would ever measure up to your expectations, because it would have to be "balanced" for MMO play, and that's what made D&D Wizards so powerful and hilariously fun: their ability to re-write reality as they pleased was not balanced at all. Magi is about as close as it gets, for that reason. They're Evocation Wizards who can conjure golems and cast room control spells, with all the game-breaking stuff stripped away.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited March 2015
    Written as the player.
    Response to @Aerek.

What I most appreciated about the D&D Wizards was, in fact, -not- their ability to "Re-write reality", but instead, was the foresight and intelligence it took to play them.
    Bear in mind; for every high-level spell which ripped asunder the fabric of reality, there was about a solid hour of game-time which the spell-caster could do little>nothing concerning such spells. 
    Recharging wasn't a matter of regaining balance and rattling off another spell. It was a matter of running away to their tower, hiding in a locked room, and work in a panicked frenzy to write up another spell which -could- be considered "OP" to blow away the fourteen Ogres which had chased them there. 

I suppose if the Wizard concept seems a bit far off... Implement a "Logistics based" class.
    I'll still switch to it.

It's the concept I support; -that being, a class which requires foresight, logistics, planning, and actual preparation before battle- not the power or the spells of the Wizard.(Although those are epic)

-Respectfully,
                         Natliya Cain

P.S. Concerning Psionics: Yes, those were indeed OP. Bear in mind the balancing which DM's had the ability to throw in; monsters which focused ONLY on parties which had those characters with tasty psionic brains. It was horrifying to have a weak psionic in the party, much, much more hindering than having no psionic at all. A strong psionic would still have to play wisely to know when they -had- to use their abilities, in order to avoid attracting such creatures at an... Inopportune time.

P.P.S. And don't even think I was suggesting a wish spell. That's Munchkin on the face of it.

I don't like long goodbyes.