Should I buy an Aldar before the price goes up?

edited March 2015 in North of Thera
I will never not be an Infernal, at most I'll multiclass either Bard or Blademaster. Just trying to figure out how much I actually want one, can't decide so I'm croudsourcing pros and cons.

Comments

• edited March 2015
    It's one of the best artifacts for dragon, too, if that's something you think you might accidentally attain.

Edit: although the price might go from 850 to 1k, or something, in which case why bother choosing now? Depends I guess.
  • Necromancy alone is a pretty good reason to buy a Diadem as an Infernal. You may as well get it now before it gets more expensive and save yourself some credits in the long run. You could also boycott it out of principle in regards to exorbitant prices, but the alternative is definitely buying it asap.
  • Yes, oh lordie yes!

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Suffer in the suffering /forum-rp

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Yes. Yes, yes. Yesssssss. Oh yes.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

Useful if you hit a shield. Useful if you use any eq based stuff (diagnose!). Just shut up and throw money at them.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    How much are they increasing it to?  Now seems to be the time to buy even if aldar isn't that important for Infernals and Runewardens.  If they increased it to 1200cr for example, you could still trade it in later for 800cr right?  Doesn't seem like a big risk to buy now as it does have some uses for general skills as well (web tattoo OPed)
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Santar said:
    Aldar is a must have artefact for every single class in the game.

No exceptions.
    I liked this for when I quit magi.  First person to give me shit for wasting credits, I am going to tell Santar they called him a dumbass.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Aldair in my mind is a lv3 weapon for equib classes.

That being said I assume it's going to 1600 credits.

Achilles said:
    How much are they increasing it to?  Now seems to be the time to buy even if aldar isn't that important for Infernals and Runewardens.  If they increased it to 1200cr for example, you could still trade it in later for 800cr right?  Doesn't seem like a big risk to buy now as it does have some uses for general skills as well (web tattoo OPed)
    Pretty sure artifacts value is based on what you paid for it not the current price.

• Shit I just noticed, even Mak-daddy @Makarios voting yes. Goodbye 850cr! Although if a particular loan I've had for a while gets paid this month, with the 40% bonus creds it'll just about cover it with some to spare. Thanks everyone! 

Caladbolg said:
    Aldair in my mind is a lv3 weapon for equib classes.

That being said I assume it's going to 1600 credits.

Achilles said:
    Pretty sure artifacts value is based on what you paid for it not the current price.
    Nope, current price, else I'd have traded in my pendulum (cost 400 cr, tradein 266) and re-bought it for 250, but current tradein is 166.

@Tecton can we get any confirmation on price increase and how tradeins will function if we buy before deadline? 
  • edited March 2015
    @tecton please let us know the price increase, not letting us know this information seems like you're trying to induce everyone to panic buy, which is extremely damn shady
  • edited March 2015
    I don't think it's jumping to conclusions that IRE is artificially inflating demand by not giving their customers full information on the price increases. I think that's evident by this thread alone.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I think you've never really worked with Tecton before on issues relating to money/credits.

Tecton is exceptionally nice about working with you as absolutely much as he can, and does favours when he can. A little faith won't kill you. It's fine to ask about the price jump, but at least be polite about it.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited March 2015
    Well, the onus is on him to prove this by revealing pricing information. The longer he or IRE refuses to do so, the more obvious this cash grab will become.

It should be noted that I'm not trying to be rude about this, I am simply stating the current situation relating to this change in artefact pricing. I might be being slightly harsh about it, but it's because I want to be a fully informed consumer, not prey to shady business practices. If my being harsh puts more pressure on IRE to reveal the price, then the ends justify the means.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Agreed Tecton is pretty cool dude. Bought credits before and it gave me the wrong promotion. Not only did Tecton come back and fix it like a bro, but also let me keep the previous promotion as a sorry for giving up (even though I told him it was cool he didn't have to).

• You may trade in a mask of lifevision and receive 333 Bound Credits for the trade.
    To complete this trade in, enter: ARTEFACT MASK TRADEIN CONFIRM

You may trade in a Cincture of the Devoted and receive 166 Bound Credits for the trade.
    To complete this trade in, enter: ARTEFACT CINCTURE TRADEIN CONFIRM

tradein has changed to the new prices.
    Be right back,  buying four SoAs.

All jokes aside, if you email support for the cincture, they would probably refund your paid price since it didn't come out very long ago..  For mask, you will probably get a "used and enjoyed" response.

clarification from @Tecton @Makarios or @Sarapis would still go a long way. 
  • I wonder if @Tecton checks his forums and is like "Damnit they've tagged me like 800 fucking times today"
  • Whether or not you're trying to be rude is kind of irrelevant. You're being rude and being an asshole. Tecton was more than fair even giving people a heads up that the price was going to go up. Enjoy that.

• edited March 2015
    Tecton almost certainly doesn't make financial decisions for IRE. People pointing at my comments as attacking Tecton directly are missing the more important point that IRE is artificially inflating demand by saying they're going to raise the price, but not giving us -any- idea whatsoever of how much they're planning on doing so.

I'm sure Tecton is a cool guy, but he does not make every decision involving Achaea and I imagine this particular move was not made by him.

EDIT: Also edit because I realize something Cooper was implying above, I'm not upset by any of the price changes. If IRE arbitrarily raised the price without notification, that's their prerogative. If they notified us that they would be raising the price to say, 1000 credits at the end of the month that would be perfectly fine.

The problem comes when they tell us they're raising the price, but are not explaining by how much causing people to buy diadem just because there might be a chance they raise the price above what they personally would be willing to stomach, even though this might not actually be the case.
  • edited March 2015
    Not interested in trading either in, I was just showing that they adjusted the value to the new price. @Tecton and @Sarapis have never been anything but helpful and accommodating in matters of money and credits. They are a business and it is there job to make you want to buy credits and yet they are still more reasonable then they need to be. 
  • edited March 2015
    They can be reasonable by letting us know the price they plan to raise the diadem too, so this money grab can end.

As I stated above, they had 3 options:

1) Immediately raise the price: People that were going to buy it may not if it's above their price point, others will still buy it if they consider it valuable.

2) Raise the price at the end of the month and notify the community of what the price is going to be: No problem here, everyone that wants to buy it at the current price point can buy it now, people that want it later but don't feel like setting aside the funds can choose to either wait or go out of the way to buy it given the difference between prices and how important it is to them. Regardless, consumers are properly informed so they can make a decision.

3) Do what they are currently doing: here we run into a problem, everyone that wants a diadem but was putting it off are now stuck. Either they buy now or gamble that the price it is raised to will be low enough that they will be able to grab it even after the price change. Because this affects everyone that would potentially buy a diadem in the future, not only those that wouldn't be able to afford it at a future disclosed price point, demand is artificially created causing a large short-term influx of money for IRE. Hence my use of the term 'cash grab'

• edited March 2015
    Sarapis said:
    Amranu, if an Aldar Diadem is worth it to you at today's price, buy it at today's price. We'll announce what the price change is when it happens. We could have simply changed prices without letting you know, and then you wouldn't even have the option to buy at the existing price - only at whatever the higher price is. End of discussion really.
    As I've already stated, I don't have a problem with you raising the price on artefacts, that's your prerogative and the community will respond by buying less diadems.

But what you're doing now is extremely shady, forcing people's hand to cough up money if they ever foresee themselves wanting an Aldar Diadem without full information as to what your plans are.

Personally I see this as an extremely disrespectful way to treat your community. There is absolutely no reason for you not to be revealing this information except to put pressure on people to buy a diadem now, instead of in the future for an increase in short-term profit because they don't have enough information to make an informed decision.