Achaea on MMORPG.com

Comments

• I'd watch TB's Achaea playthrough. Also Hat Films.

• Santar said:
    <British accent> Who is this Santar fellow and why is he telling me that it's party time?
    Yes, please! :heart: 
  • I don't watch game streaming at all. Anyone else you guys would watch? TotalBiscuit looks like he'll be very expensive (probably too expensive for us) as an experiment just due to his popularity.
  • edited March 2015
    Sarapis said:
    I don't watch game streaming at all. Anyone else you guys would watch? TotalBiscuit looks like he'll be very expensive (probably too expensive for us) as an experiment just due to his popularity.
    I don't know exactly how TotalBiscuit works. I think a lot of the material he produces is just on a "He feels like doing this game" sort of basis. I know that he has no problem casting low-key games.  I know that some larger games use him as a paid caster to produce material for the game, but I've also seen him go over a lot of smaller game, probably of his own volition.

Part of his "knack" is that he likes to hit a lot of un-traditional games.  So, I could see him maybe playing Achaea on his stream if it caught his eye.

On the flip side, much as Daeir said, he may very well tear you to fucking shreds. He's been laying into the 'early access' games lately. Pretty brutal bashing.

• edited March 2015
    You guys are under the mis-impression that being torn apart would not also bring traffic, which I know for a fact isn't true. In fact, one friend I talked to who pays a bunch of streamers tells me that it's just as often the really bad reviews that drive a lot of traffic as compared to the positive ones. (Granted, that could be more true for PewDiePie-type streamers whose audience leans more towards giggling teens.) Achaea has no credibility to ruin because people have to have heard of you to have credibility with them.

I think the biggest problem though is that unless you're already a MUDer, playing Achaea is really really hard. Just getting used to a text interface is a bitch. We'd almost need someone willing to spend a fair amount of time playing before streaming, which is going to be very hard to do unless we pay them (and then it'll be pricey). Ideally we want someone who is in a city and a house and is involved in the multiplayer part of the game, which is necessarily missing from the intro as we're just trying to get people over the text interface hump there. That's a pretty tall order. Still planning to look into it though once the new client reskin is done.
  • I dont think the game is very fast paced enough to be interesting via streaming.
    "Kit always gets blood everywhere."
    Medi says, "If kit says to show up somewhere, bring an apron."
    Medi says, "Rule of thumb."

• edited March 2015
    @Sarapis I used to do work with NESL and ESL and I can see of anyone in the network has any decently known streamers who would tackle achaea. 

I used to stream long ago but nothing on the level of the people everyone's mentioned maybe 45 people max on D3 streams but I will start streaming on Aedin or an alt so people can see how starting out is like and see how it goes off there.

Edit: Would you rather the stream using Mudlet or the HTML client?
  • Gotta concur with @Sarapis on one thing. Achaea has no current credibility in danger of losing. 

When you have nothing, it's zero risk.

• Aedin said:
    @Sarapis I used to do work with NESL and ESL and I can see of anyone in the network has any decently known streamers who would tackle achaea. 

I used to stream long ago but nothing on the level of the people everyone's mentioned maybe 45 people max on D3 streams but I will start streaming on Aedin or an alt so people can see how starting out is like and see how it goes off there.

Edit: Would you rather the stream using Mudlet or the HTML client
    Probably whatever you're most comfortable playing with.
  • I think the HTML client would be a way better stream if your intention is to attract new players.

I mean, for starters it has visuals. Visuals go a long way to helping new people understand. Plus a clickable interface.

Then beyond that, let's say someone checks out the stream and actually wants to try the game. They boot it up - It'd be helpful if they're seeing something familiar from the stream they checked out.

• Yeah exactly what I was thinking @Santar  but I'll set everything up whenever I get home. Waiting to hear back as well from a few people as well should be fun even if it pulls in a few new people to play its still few more than before and hopefully it spreads.

Will post a link here when its setup.
  • edited March 2015
    That actually looks like something that a newbie might try. 

Looks pretty slick.

The visual health bars and the map are the big ticket items there. Someone is much more likely to play with an on-screen map, imo. 

• Will look even better once we build a target pane with a little man-like figure that we can light up for broken limbs and such, as well as show your defenses and afflictions. We'll stick the task/quest/skill tabs on other panes, move the inventory/room to the upper right, move the map to the upper left, and put the you/target frame where map is now.
  • Sarapis said:
    Will look even better once we build a target pane with a little man-like figure that we can light up for broken limbs and such, as well as show your defenses and afflictions.
    omg yes
  • Amazing can't wait to get home to get all this setup should be fun!!!
  • edited March 2015
    I expect to see "Achaea" on the top 12 Twitch game chart when I get bored and check Twitch later tonight.

Edit: Just checked. Achaea isn't even a validly listed game on Twitch.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    That shit looks better than my mudlet.

Man it is time to crank out for a GUI.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Well your able to add in a custom game that your playing however... Need to contact twitch
    TV support to be added to the game list. Which they normally reply to quickly. 
  • Sarapis said:
    Yeah, Santar is right. The new interface is going to look a lot nicer too. Here's what it's looking like currently (next version isn't finished, but is getting close) at 1920x1200.

[screenshot]
    Will you be changing to a fixed-width font? That font looks nice, but a lot of things become a total mess if using a non-monospaced font where the character columns don't line up evenly. Subdivisions, wilderness map, anything formatted with a semblance of ASCII artwork like borders.
  • I think they do some crazy GMCP magic to switch it to a fixed-width font when reading things that might require it.
  • Melodie said:
    That shit looks better than my mudlet.

Man it is time to crank out for a GUI.
    Need somebody to code up a Mudlet GUI that looks like that, because wow, that's impressive.

(Mine doesn't even have a separate window for says/tells/clt/ct/whatever.)
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    We want a gui exactly like that. But for mudlet. Thx. >>

• edited March 2015
    Haha well, I'm home and setting everything up. Sadly Its a late at night so no mic for right now!

Thankfully we're able to link the stream in here, but it's 

EDIT: Theres a link to it below the stream, to share, I'll be making a new character and RP through it.  But seeing how I'd be new to the HTML it should be decently noobish from it.
  • Nim said:
    Sarapis said:
    Will look even better once we build a target pane with a little man-like figure that we can light up for broken limbs and such, as well as show your defenses and afflictions.
    omg yes
    Yes, you spotted it.
  • Well after making a character, having someone attempt troll all way late at night with 9 viewers (Probably all of you) I will say that the tutorial was a quick and easy however, it doesn't really prepare you much for whats to come, like replying to tells for example. 
  • I love the look of the html client. If I had all my aliases/triggers on there, I'd use that for sure, since I've no real need for mudlet scripting when I don't get involved in PK. What's the logging like for it, though?

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    If only i could import my mudlet stuff into html... of course the first time Tecton fixed one of my scripts and called me out for making a novice mistake, i would feel terrible. 
  • Also like to note that all the windows are moveable as well which is quite handy to use. Only issue I have with the map from last night's startup was there was a bit of lag whenever moving quickly from room to room. However stated at a nice 51ms of ping during it all. Will see how it goes later tonight.