Skill Changes

Is anybody planning to _not_ relearn the two skills which will together reform "Concoctions?"

If not, why not?

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
- Let me get my hat and my knife
- It's your apple, take a bite
- Don't dream it ... be it

Comments

• Prythe said:
    Is anybody planning to _not_ relearn the two skills which will together reform "Concoctions?"

If not, why not?
    If you're a combatant who doesn't waste time with Concoctions, why waste lessons?

It made sense when Concoctions included a sip bonus, but since that's no longer the case, you know.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • I've had concoctions transcendent for over a year and still refill from tuns. No sip bonus, no lessons!
    Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • Depends on if a) we're getting the 1736 lessons back from the skill to invest, or if it's b) being converted directly to the new one.

If a): it'll definitely depend on what the new skill is, what's included and how it will potentially affect the class. I'm eventually gonna get both the new Concoctions and the new skill, so all this decides is which I get first.

If b): nothing matters because I'm stuck with the new skill anyway and I'm gonna have to work my way back up to trans Concoctions again. Oh well.

Personally, though, I really do enjoy Concoctions, and not just for the sip bonus. Before, if I was in the middle of hunting and ran out of sips, I would have to stop everything and go aaaaaaaaaaaall the way back to do refills. Yeah, I know I should keep like five vials of the things on me at all times, but still!

With Concoctions, I can ELIST, go "ohshit I only have five sips of -insert elixir/salve here- left!" and then pull out my pot, type an alias and bash enter two/three/four times. Bam, 100/150/200 sips, just like that. Don't have to move from my spot, takes like ten seconds. Not to mention the gold saved. And when I'm bored, lazy and don't feel like working on House stuff, I can just go on a little harvesting journey. It's actually quite relaxing.

The added bonus is the free (if you exclude time investment) herbs, and the cash saved on harvesting irid moss, because I go through that like nobody's business.

So yeah, Concoctions will be staying. Just depends on whether or not I have the option of deciding which to trans first, and if so, if I feel like the new skill is worth more.
  • Vesios said:

The added bonus is the free (if you exclude time investment) herbs, and the cash saved on harvesting irid moss, because I go through that like nobody's business.
    It's not free.  It costs 1386 lessons plus your time which could otherwise be spent hunting/questing for more gold than you would make producing those herbs/refills.

If anything, it gives the illusion that you're getting something for free when in reality you're being corralled into doing less productive/profitable activities.

The same might not be said for Concocting from minerals, since the supply of primes is so gargantuan and there's demand from five different cities plus neutrals, but for Harvesting/Concoctions, you're competing against the Chicago Bulls of herblords.  Arguing that this is more productive than just making gold and buying the curatives outright is silly.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Addama said:
    Vesios said:

It's not free.  It costs 1386 lessons plus your time which could otherwise be spent hunting/questing for more gold than you would make producing those herbs/refills.

If anything, it gives the illusion that you're getting something for free when in reality you're being corralled into doing less productive/profitable activities.

The same might not be said for Concocting from minerals, since the supply of primes is so gargantuan and there's demand from five different cities plus neutrals, but for Harvesting/Concoctions, you're competing against the Chicago Bulls of herblords.  Arguing that this is more productive than just making gold and buying the curatives outright is silly.
    That's a good point and I truthfully never thought of it like that, but ultimately it won't really change anything. I invested into Concoctions to maintain a personal cache that was unaffected by the economy, not to be a seller. I'm sure there are possible equations out there that could say how long it would take for the benefit to outweigh the initial cost. 

And either way, that sort of thing doesn't matter to Vesios as a person. He's a Druid! If some Divine told him "hey, you're gonna magically lose the knowledge of Concoctions and have to relearn it", chances are he wouldn't even think twice about it. To him, having that knowledge of herbs, how to harvest them and work them into useable salves or elixirs is infinitely more important than some cost-benefit analysis. Going against that kills the roleplay. 
  • MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains
    I honestly still haven't decided yet. From an RP standpoint, I feel like I should still keep these skills. This change has me thinking wayyyyy more than I would like to...

• Any insight as to what they're replacing concoctions with? I don't feel like going through all those pages.
  • No information yet, except a possibly outdated statement that they planned on having sentinels use their spears/tridents more.
    I'm really eager for the new skill. I've been holding off on getting any trade skills until I see what we get. Really hope the new skill comes sometime soooooooon!

So how long until the entire world is taken over by vines? Lol

• I'm curious about how long the RECLAMATION lasts. Those not around at the moment are at a distinct disadvantage individually and/or to be part of group strategies.

I love. Love. Love. The concepts - but also remember when an influx of Grove Holders meant there were no spots for anybody new to IMPRINT.

I am really looking forward to having the time to fully get IG and try out all the new skills.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• Reclaim disappears when broken or when the owner logs out for a certain period of time.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

Today was seriously the best time to have a snow day. :)

• edited March 2015
    I have yet to test how effective reclamation are when raiding other city. mhmm. However i will keep in mind to consume any fallen corpses within boundary of my reclaimed and expand more. :D

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.