Board Games

2»

Comments

• Oh. In all the hubaloo I forgot to mention that Power Grid is by far the best of this collection. The China map sucks, but Korea is great. Benelux is also pretty fun. It's by far my favourite board game. There are also a few in the collection I haven't even opened or only played once. Like... Played Hanabi once, never played seafarers, haven't touched the xpacs for pandemic, never played Marklin, haven't opened Puerto Rico, played 7 wonders only once, never played Bohnanza, played Bang! once, played Shadows over Camelot once (then forced my friend to paint the minis). I tend to get the spiel de jahres winner and runner up each year, as well as the highest rated board game geek ones. One that I don't have but wish I did is flashpoint.  Friend who is painting the minis has it, and it's pretty awesome. I love axing walls down to save kitties.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    I have tried and failed on two occasions to teach myself how to play Go.
  • I used to play go on yahoo. You think the league community is awful? Shooooo

• @Rispok: If you like Puerto Rico at all, you should really give Race for the Galaxy a try.
  • Betrayal at the House on the Hill is a fantastic board game. Basically starts as everyone being an explorer in a creepy house, but suddenly one person playing becomes the traitor (generally)! Then a set of conditions is set on the game for the adventurers and the baddies (50 possible scenarios).

For a quicker and less intense game, King of Tokyo is immensely fun.

Munchkin is also pretty sweet, and now there are a ton of expansions/alternate versions. For a similar game you can also check out Boss Monster.

Following of course there is Ticket to Ride and Catan which seem to be staples. Machi Koro is reminiscent of Catan, but also a lot of fun and less known.

For a large group, the Werewolf game is recommended. We've been playing a bit of that lately, and for added fun have had the game happen in different settings for extra goof.
  • Munchkin is the bomb, especially when you check out different versions. I'm particularly fond of the Axe Cop one (although I'm biased; I'm particularly fond of Axe Cop). 

I also love Go, as well as Reversi. Apart from Munchkin and others to which I am steadily converted, I tend to keep it simple. It took time for family to get me engaged with Cranium (though it's great, I can't help but admit now). Also, not a board game, but anyone who enjoys Munchkin will (I suspect) enjoy FLUXX.
    "Rebellion has to be part of the response to rigid social institutions, or stagnation is assured." - Greg Graffin
    "Metal is a fusion of everything, covered in anger and dragons." - Jered M'F'ing Eide
    "Every song written is a crisis of the soul solved." - His Realness Tony Cordisco, the Riffmaster
  • The beginnings of an Achaea TCG just crept into my head...
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Oh man, that's actually kind of a ridiculously good idea. At least in a very simplified form, it would translate well.
    "Rebellion has to be part of the response to rigid social institutions, or stagnation is assured." - Greg Graffin
    "Metal is a fusion of everything, covered in anger and dragons." - Jered M'F'ing Eide
    "Every song written is a crisis of the soul solved." - His Realness Tony Cordisco, the Riffmaster
  • @Rispok

I see The Resistance in there... I played 4 games of that last Saturday with some friends. Was a group of 6 we had (including me).

So, 2 Spies, 4 Resistance... All 4 games, I was the exact same Spy character. 3 of 4 I won.

Oh, and on that day we played Cash & Guns! It comes with a bunch of foam guns you point at each other. I loved it just for the foam guns.
  • @Jukilian‌ we play Resitance ALOT. I also have the Avalon variation which has special characters that can do special things. 

Weirdly im almost always a damn spy and the one player is almost never one. Confirmation bias no doubt, but that's how it feels!
  • @Tibitha After the first game I was a spy, whenever the spies would discover who each other are at the start of each game, I'd always smile and wave at whoever was the other spy and after each consecutive game where I was a spy they had a harder time holding in a laugh to avoid revealing themselves during that step.

I enjoyed myself. In the last game it was me and the leader in the very first mission, and I failed it. I managed to convince people that I wasn't the spy out of the two of us. The leader's actions probably wasn't helping either, haha.
  • Jukilian said:
    @Tibitha After the first game I was a spy, whenever the spies would discover who each other are at the start of each game, I'd always smile and wave at whoever was the other spy and after each consecutive game where I was a spy they had a harder time holding in a laugh to avoid revealing themselves during that step.

I enjoyed myself. In the last game it was me and the leader in the very first mission, and I failed it. I managed to convince people that I wasn't the spy out of the two of us. The leader's actions probably wasn't helping either, haha.
    We were playing Blind Spy at one point (where the spies don't know each other). Our shortest games have involved either both spies failing the first mission (duh!) or the spies bursting out laughing during the "spy reveal" stage. :smiley: 
  • Herenicus said:
    I have tried and failed on two occasions to teach myself how to play Go.
    @Herenicus But there are only like 5 rules! It's so easy! Everyone can be a grandmaster in Go.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    One more exclamation point at my expense earns you a go fuck yourself, sir!
  • Tibitha said:
    Jukilian said:
    @Tibitha After the first game I was a spy, whenever the spies would discover who each other are at the start of each game, I'd always smile and wave at whoever was the other spy and after each consecutive game where I was a spy they had a harder time holding in a laugh to avoid revealing themselves during that step.

We were playing Blind Spy at one point (where the spies don't know each other). Our shortest games have involved either both spies failing the first mission (duh!) or the spies bursting out laughing during the "spy reveal" stage. :smiley: 
    I was put in a three man mission at one point with the other spy. I was like, oh man he had better put in a success....... And he did! :D I threw in a fail and we didn't make it too painfully obvious who the spies were.
  • I was an avid player of WH40K (second edition). A friend of mine showed this kind of new game "X-wing the miniature game". Models are finely pre-painted, and the game is very smooth and fast. I am addicted right now. Did anyone ever tried this?
    Light prevails, always
  • @Shibumi  doesn't it use the hero clix system?  I've bought a couple for my friend but never for myself.
  • Zomg. Resistance is so fun.

I used to play Catan and 7 Wonders, and some of the others mentioned too.

• edited February 2015
    Quite envious over how many of you have RL friends willing to play board games! Majority of mine display a mixture of confusion and exasperation whenever I suggest trying board games for fun. :| 
  • @Erhon No I do not believe so. It is about space dogfighting. Models are very cool, and the game is fun.
    Light prevails, always
  • Any of the aforementioned games good for only two players?
  • edited February 2015
    Who's up for Achaean Monopoly? Six player pieces for each of the six cities. So, a tree for Eleusis, a skull for Mhaldor, a little mountain for Cyrene, a crown for Hashan, little church for Targossas and a portrait of Lady Gaga for Ashtan.

Have a House be instead of a hotel. Like, literally a mini House estate type thing. For actual homes, a little house.

Then we'll need the properties. I mean, is that so difficult? You got stuff like Centre Crossing, Stygian Crossroads, Rally Point, Moghedu, NoT, Morindar, Jaru, etc. Mhaldor owning Rally Point might seem weird at first, but we can chalk it up to raiding working as planned. I mean, this would pretty much be war for control of Sapience, right?

Railroads can be nothing for one, Eagle Wings for two, Atavian Wings for three, Chenubians for four.

Chance = thousandth door.

Community chest = City credit sale

Go to jail = you have the... holding room? I don't remember what it's called, I don't go there that often. That, or Shrubbed; pic of a shrubbery. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 gold/credits.

Water works = uhhhh.... Delos?

Luxury taxes we can chalk up to Auctions; cause anybody that's got money at the start of those doesn't have any a week later.

Instead of Monopoly money you got credits. Or gold. Little golden paper gold things.

Dunno if it's feasible, but you'd definitely have something to whip out on a meet or IronCon. If there's a computer multiplayer Monopoly, maybe alter that.
  • @Jacen X-wing miniatures, WH40K, and Battletech, are all good for 2 players. Kidding?
    Light prevails, always
  • Shibumi said:
    @Jacen X-wing miniatures, WH40K, and Battletech, are all good for 2 players. Kidding?

Not kidding, just had literally no idea. Thanks!
  • Shibumi said:
    I was an avid player of WH40K (second edition). A friend of mine showed this kind of new game "X-wing the miniature game". Models are finely pre-painted, and the game is very smooth and fast. I am addicted right now. Did anyone ever tried this?
    Have played. Can confirm. X-wing game is a good bit of fun and is rather simple to pick up.
  • X-Wing MG is sucking my life away. Very easy to pickup, not super expensive. Very, very enjoyable. Models are finely repainted. Have a try, you will not regret it!
    Light prevails, always