Fishing times! Please give some advice

edited December 2012 in Client Help
Hey everyone! I have been working on my deep sea fishing, and having a little trouble...Have any recommended times for each of the events below? And if so, how well does it work for you? I have 11 strength so that is a factor but I can't even hook a fish! Also transed survival... frustrating.. Thanks, just post your times for the following please:

When a fish nibbles, how long after do you tease line? I wait 2.2 seconds. 
When a fish hits with a medium or large strike, I wait 1.6 before jerking pole.

Should I jerk on a small strike, or tease pole again?

Comments

• I haven't fished in a while, but my recollection is that it's generally better to tease on a small strike. Wait times may depend on your typical ping time. I'll look up mine a little later, if I remember.
  • edited December 2012
    I send the tease command 2.075 seconds after a nibble, and jerk 1.675 seconds after a strike. My latency is generally 30-60ms. I currently jerk on small strikes, but I'm not sure which is best.

I used to tease twice on nibbles (immediately after the nibble, and again when recovering balance), and jerk until it's too late to catch the fish (again immediately on the strike, then on balance), which was usually two jerks since the old fishing balance bug was fixed. I don't do that at the moment, but my fishing results were about the same when I did.

Fishing is far too variable to easily see what's optimal. No matter what I do, I'll sometimes go half an hour without seeing any strikes. I've tried lots of different things (timings and strategies), but none of them have been an obvious improvement.

Edit: If you currently tease at 2.2s and jerk at 1.6, and you can't catch anything, it's most likely either bad luck or a slow connection (which makes the actual times significantly higher). Using a "perfect" strategy/timing will only give you a small improvement.

Edit2: I also cast medium most of the time.
  • Sena said:
    I send the tease command 2.075 seconds after a nibble, and jerk 1.675 seconds after a strike. My latency is generally 30-60ms. I currently jerk on small strikes, but I'm not sure which is best.

I used to tease twice on nibbles (immediately after the nibble, and again when recovering balance), and jerk until it's too late to catch the fish (again immediately on the strike, then on balance), which was usually two jerks since the old fishing balance bug was fixed. I don't do that at the moment, but my fishing results were about the same when I did.

Fishing is far too variable to easily see what's optimal. No matter what I do, I'll sometimes go half an hour without seeing any strikes. I've tried lots of different things (timings and strategies), but none of them have been an obvious improvement.

Edit: If you currently tease at 2.2s and jerk at 1.6, and you can't catch anything, it's most likely either bad luck or a slow connection (which makes the actual times significantly higher). Using a "perfect" strategy/timing will only give you a small improvement.

Edit2: I also cast medium most of the time.
    Exactly the kind of post I'm looking for, thank you I'll give those times a try
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I use 1.9 for tease and 1.6 for jerk.

Taken straight from getNetworkLatency(): Latency: 0.068
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • edited December 2012
    getNetworkLatency() echoes the stored latency rather than updating it, it seems. You can see your latency by just doing any action and checking the N:x.xxx in the bottom right of your mudlet window.

That said, Sena's advice is best, esp re: double tease/repeated jerk.

• 2.1 and 1.85 for me.