What have you designed today?

Comments

• Jeslyn said:
    Tristyn said:
    A fun one just for you, @Jeslyn

Short: A massive iron cage of trapping

Dropped: Glistening with the remains of fresh tears, a massive iron cage awaits its next virtuoso.

Examined: Shaped like a dome, this human sized cage is crafted from a cold cast solid metal. Each metal bar has not been refinished and exhibits a warm weathered patina making it an ideal home for those rustic loving designers in your life. It features a primitive padlocked door which can open on occasion to lure in unsuspecting creative geniuses with copious amounts of weed and cheap coffee. The base of the cage slides out for easy cleaning up of tears, crumpled paper, and motivational posters. An optional cloth cover is included to allow your confined guest some quiet time, but it is not truly necessary as most are insomniacs due to illusory deadlines. 

Bahaha will this work on you? Because it's becoming harder to get your attention these days! That or I'm going to have to trap @Amarillys instead
    What!?

• I've got some mixed feelings about this one. I wanted to work on the room description, then decided I wanted to do the fireplace first.

short: an opulent fireplace

dropped: An opulent fireplace of carved marble occupies the northern wall.

examined: The centrepiece of the Oakhouse Parlour, this extravagant fireplace embodies the expense and care involved in the construction of the estate. It has been built so that the hearth protrudes half a foot from the wall to showcase a polished fretwork brass fender. A solid stone interior with a grated flue is well scrubbed of soot, and decorated by a beaten brass fireback that depicts an enormous dragon in flight. The mantlepiece appears to be carved from one immense piece of creamy white marble in a distinctly Prosperian style that borders on ostentatiousness. Inlaid with gold leaf, the curving lines seem to grasp at gleaming metal and flame alike.

I feel like 'Prosperian style' is such a cop out for what I wanted to describe as something expensive looking but almost to the point of tacky like Versace. :( but I wanted something of Szareine's money-grubbing Delosian heritage to still show in her decor instead of everything just being 'YAY TARGOSSAS'.
  • Lorielan said:
    @Szareine

My personal image of Prospero is a cross between Cee Lo Green and Liberace. You might want something along the lines of tastefully opulent if you don't want fabulous, spangly ostentation.
    yeaaaah.... I changed it. A little. :|
  • I love it when I have a client that tells me exactly what they want. A ring designed for a couple of lovebirds.

Short: A silver crow and branch band

Dropped: Collecting dust, a silver crow and branch band lies here abandoned.

Examined: Capturing the essence of a branch, this symbol of nuptials celebrates the wearer’s connection with nature and each other.  Two narrow circles, hand cast to resemble budding twigs, intertwine together gracefully to embrace the finger when worn. Both bands have been engraved with a simple bark impression and treated to highlight the angular incisions. Nestled in the intersection of the two bands, a minuscule crow sits high atop the branches and basks in all of its stately grandeur. Its tapered wings are tucked close to its sleek body, each individual feather painstakingly carved to give depth. A representation of devotion and faithfulness, the crow unites the burnished twigs into a masterfully crafted token of enduring love. 

Focus on results and you'll never see progress. Focus on progress and you'll see results.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Wow. That was truly lovely, $Tristyn. I am a little envious of your talent. :hushed: 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Thank you! :blush: While it doesn't look as incredible as other designs I see, the couple loved it and that's what matters. 
    Focus on results and you'll never see progress. Focus on progress and you'll see results.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    not my design, but my commission. Outcome too good to not share : 

Appearance (short_desc)
    a striking dragon ring of flawless silver
    Dropped (long_desc)
    Left to collect dust, a striking dragon ring lies here.
    Examined (extended_desc)
    Somnolent eyes of whorled sapphire grace the narrow, bestial face of this dragon ring, its heavy-lidded gaze bespeaking an ancient wisdom forever frozen in multifaceted prisms. Where snout ridges ascend a horned crown, metallic scales gleam, each meticulously crafted and imbued with an artist's attention to realistic detail. Shadows waltz with light in the petite coils that slither around the first knuckle to the second, creating the illusion of movement at each twist and turn or gesture of the hand. Graceful musculature is further accentuated by an undulating pattern that emerges as one scale flows into the next, this unique embellishment offering a delicate floral motif in hues of variegated gold. Each coil is soldered together to prevent pinching, and even the diminutive claws splay painlessly over the skin beneath. Naught but a whip-like tendril ending in a tiny spade, the dragon's tail curves back upward, crossing over a majority of the ring to curl near its slender throat.
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited March 2015
    My design, although slightly edited (and improved, thank you) by someone on the customisation team...

Appearance:
    an Azatlani war horn

Dropped:
    Straps resting limply across its bell, an Azatlani war horn is abandoned here.

Examined:
    Spanning approximately four feet in total length and crafted from dark wood, this stormy horn spirals outward in concentric circles before flaring out into a large bell. The caliginous interior is stained in paler shades, a whirlwind swirling from the rim to the very depths of the instrument. The exterior features a pair of falcon wings inlaid with crystal, the appendages arching along either side of the bell before curling over the rim. At the tip, a mouthpiece of bronze clay allows the wearer to blow the horn whilst in motion, the metal carved into the head of a noble falcon.

Just waiting on the custom reactions, then Klendathu can toot and parp all over Sapience!

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited March 2015

I designed this recently

Appearance

a fur-trimmed, tribal cloak

Dropped

A fur-trimmed cloak lies here, soiled and wrinkled.

Examined

Red, mottled fur envelops the shoulders of this stygian cloak, drooping low to cover the wearer's breast. Nacreous thread contrasts the hem of the dark fabric and frames a round, cavernous hood. A sinuous, antiqued silver serpent wraps itself around an argent crescent moon, firmly clasping the collar together. Pendent braids of russet leather adorned with aged talons and sable feathers cascade from either side of the clasp, only to wind around the cloak and vanish beneath the fur. Within the folds of twilled wool, two belts of weathered, brown leather rest upon the left shoulder and loosely twine around the torso.

• I guess I didn't post this, but @Daslin and I worked on this for me - he did a lot of the work, I just helped tweak it. I absolutely love bashing things with it.

an immaculate sword of ultramarine hued steel

Left behind, an ultramarine-hued sword glints in the light.

A single piece of ultramarine hued steel makes up the entirety of this graceful sword. Flawlessly forged of dwarven steel, the blade has a single edge shielded with polished obsidian. The curved edge meets the spine with an immaculate hatchet point, ready to delve into any enemy. Along the flat of the blade and separating the obsidian from the steel, pure ivory sets inlaid at the edge of the obsidian, engraved with the lagua, lagul and laguz runes. A simple, angled cross-guard protects the hand, leading into a straight hilt. A long section of supple, deep indigo doeskin wraps and intertwines itself along the hilt, creating a braided pattern. The doeskin braid knots together smoothly just short of the simple obsidian pommel to reveal an engraving of a stylised bear and rose.

meh

• I'm currently in a battle to keep the appearance of my longsword unaltered, but here's what I submitted (comments edited to be in chronological order instead of reverse) -

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Request status: Unsubmitted (days left: 3)       Cost: 50 credit(s)
              Item: longsword#512463 (a Logosian longsword)

Non-Decay: No
          Resetter: No

Appearance: a rakehell's blade of meteoric steel
           Dropped: Glinting brightly from the ground, a fashionable sword rests 
    here.
          Examined: A flashy blade befitting a noble, this weapon is as much a 
    fashionable accessory as it is a tool of war. The slender hand-and-a-half handle
    of Baarian blackwood is encircled by a raised vine of silver, its twisted thorns
    providing several ridges for a secure grip. Set into either side of the 
    regent-style pommel, twin pairs of fingernail-sized sapphires glint brilliantly,
    their azure forms like glittering eyes backed in silver. The argent cruciform 
    hilt curves elegantly, the forward edge slightly downward while the back edge 
    trails up. A ring-style guard circles once around before trailing up along the 
    flat of the blade, terminating in a stylised triangular adder's head. Two and a 
    half feet of razor-edged steel, the dark-hued blade bears a slight blue tinge 
    that flashes in the light, contrasting curiously with the flowing scrollwork 
    etched along its entire length. Surprisingly light, it dances in its wielder's 
    grip, perfect for drawing cuts and deadly thrusts.

[ The Gods at 2015/03/11 20:39:47 ]:
    Just a couple of things, before this can be approved. Firstly, please remove the
    reference to 'rakehell' - this is archaic and obscure, and needs to be changed 
    to something more modern in terms of language. Secondly, Zanzibaaran should be 
    Baarian. Thanks!

[ Trey at 2015/03/12 01:14:08 ]:
    changed Zanzibaaran to Baarian as requested, disagree with changing the word 
    'rakehell'. Its first usage was in the early 16th century, it's true, but 
    libertine's origins are from the exact same period in time, and can be found in 
    Achaea in the Shop of Wonders item 'Veil of the Libertine'.

[ The Gods at 2015/03/12 21:05:33 ]:
    Though Rakehell and libertine share the same time period in terms of origins, 
    the latter is a commonly used and well-known word in the modern day. The former 
    isn't. Please change this, and resubmit your request.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

For reference, this is the pommel I was going for -

And this is kind-of-but-not what I was going for on the crosspiece and guard. Hard to find something that looks like what I pictured in my head.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Trying to "name and shame" the admin, or trying to force their hand via peer pressure, is not the classiest move and probably not the wisest.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited March 2015
    Aerek said:
    Trying to "name and shame" the admin, or trying to force their hand via peer pressure, is not the classiest move and probably not the wisest.
    Considering it just says 'The Gods', I'm not trying to name and shame anyone. I just didn't want to be penalized for having a decent vocabulary since it was absolutely the most appropriate word for what I wanted. Thank you for your opinion, though.

EDIT: Ended up compromising on 'rake' instead of 'rakehell' because I was told that hell would be OOC. Works for me even with references to hell IC, customisation approved, yayyyyyy.

Thats very stupid. There's innumerable references to hell, and all of them are IC. Sounds more like an excuse to get off you than any real reasoning :/

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited March 2015
    Shirszae said:
    Thats very stupid. There's innumerable references to hell, and all of them are IC. Sounds more like an excuse to get off you than any real reasoning :/
    I thought this same thing when I read Trey's comment. Priests can fill someone's mind with visions of Hell, when they appear on the battle field Infernal knights are described as a vision from the flames of Hell itself, Hell tuning was a thing when everyone had Icons, etc. Absolutely nothing OOC about it. Rakehell is also analogous to a "hellraiser."
  • Bluef said:
    Shirszae said:
    I thought this same thing when I read Trey's comment. Priests can fill someone's mind with visions of Hell, when they appear on the battle field Infernal knights are described as a vision from the flames of Hell itself, Hell tuning was a thing when everyone had Icons, etc. Absolutely nothing OOC about it. Rakehell is also analogous to a "hellraiser."
    Yeah, but at the same time I didn't really think that it was that big an issue. @Tecton offered his input and I made a compromise based on it. I still essentially got what I wanted, rake/rakehell are pretty equal in that regard in my eyes, so as far as the situation on a whole is concerned I would rate it as a positive.

I doubt that they meant the word "hell", is OOC, I'm sure that they were referring only to the syllable 'hell' as attached to "rake". Because "rake" is still used in the English vernacular, trying to use the archaic form, "rakehell" is pushing an OOC boundary, like trying to use a German adjective because you can't find a good English translation.

Do I think it's a big deal? No, not really, we use loads of loan words (especially Latin, sheesh) in-game, but I can see where the line, linguistically, has to be drawn somewhere.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Aerek said:
    I doubt that they meant the word "hell", is OOC, I'm sure that they were referring only to the syllable 'hell' as attached to "rake". Because "rake" is still used in the English vernacular, trying to use the archaic form, "rakehell" is pushing an OOC boundary, like trying to use a German adjective because you can't find a good English translation.

Do I think it's a big deal? No, not really, we use loads of loan words (especially Latin, sheesh) in-game, but I can see where the line, linguistically, has to be drawn somewhere.
    No no, I was literally told that one of the problems was that there is no Hell IC, so 'rakehell' would be OOC.

Then yes, you should typo the Hellsight ability.
  • Aerek said:
    Then yes, you should typo the Hellsight ability.
    Also whatever Apostates do when they pray to the Lords of Hell. And Hellfumes. But no, I'm content with how it ended up.

This is not mine, but something @Natliya designed for me. I absolutely loved it. <3

a stripped, sky-blue poncho

Horizontal lines of sky-blue and frosted white comprise the primary colours of this finely crafted poncho. Airy, yet restrained, this garment is draped elegantly around the neck and shoulders of the wearer without any additional folds wrinkling or disrupting the garment. When worn properly, the hem falls to the upper thigh, tassels two inches in length covering the mid-thigh as they skirt the entire lower hem of the garment, from one side to another. Each tassel is tinted the same sky-blue and white at the base, leading up to a hint of yellow which blends in with the band of pink to mark where the legs are to rest within this comfortable poncho. The sides of this poncho are ornate, having several inches from the tassel-lined hems covered with all manners of designs and patterns; multi-coloured triangles of light pink, sky-blue, frosted white, and black, all of which border a row of polygons described by colours of black and light pink on a background of that familiar sky-blue. All of these rest under the final layer of decorations, a tableau of shapes describing some indecipherable story by the arcane shapes and patterns.

• I think rings are my favorite thing to design right now. A question to you all, where do you go for your inspiration? I'm a massive Etsy fan. This is dangerous because I end up buying things I don't need. :( Here is another of my rings, designed on a whim for another Targossian. It is a very simple design with a lot of symbolism. 

Short: An obsidian signet ring with gold accents

Dropped: Glinting despondently, an obsidian signet ring has been lost here.

Examined: Broad and masculine, this obsidian signet ring is artfully fashioned into an heirloom piece of abundant proportions. The swooping shank features a fractal hammered finish, reminding the wearer that a well-earned existence is one that is hard fought for. Molded into the center of the band, a deeply recessed sigil of the Dawnspear is antiquated and hand carved into the metal itself. The engraving has been inlayed scrupulously with gold in order to showcase the crisp features of the islands against the obsidian metal.  Shadowy acanthus leaves, engraved in repousse, frame the center and shoulders of the signet ring. They blossom with a powerful presence of enduring life even in the most challenging times.  The inside surface of the band has a minute flame incised as a testament to its creator.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I get inspiration most often from pieces in movies or tv shows. For instance, this dress from The Duchess has been a project I've had on the back-burner for a while now. However, I'll also often google for images of things to help me get ideas, especially if I have a particular project needing to get done (for example, I really need to look up traditional white ball gowns soon). Every now and then I'll just... dream up something, but that's much harder to do!

Etsy sounds like a neat place to get inspiration, I might have to check that out.

Hmm, I've not designed a whole lot lately. I suppose I'll share the most recent thing, which was a gift for a Mhaldorian who was sad about leaving Necromancy behind since they changed class:

Appearance: a steel chain bearing an ethereal soulspear
    Dropped: Shimmering upon the ground is a steel chain bearing a soulspear.
    Examined: Finely-wrought, gleaming steel twirls into an eternal corona of interlinking rivets,  each minute loop slender yet sturdy. The chain is stout enough to withstand the rigours of combat or daily wear and tear, yet still retain a lustrous sheen within its construction. Austere in its simple elegance, the only ornament adorning this piece is a thin, exquisite soulspear. Rendered from the meticulous hammering of premium tritonic silver, the lifelike weapon's point glints with wicked intent, razor sharp despite its decorative purpose.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
    Personally, I found Pinterest works excellently. Specially since you are likely to get images not only from etsy, but from a host of other sites as well.

• edited March 2015
    First of all, I'm not a forger, but a jeweller. Whipped this one up as a fun request for someone that later got a blade from a divine, so I am offering it to anyone else that would like it. I can change the spirit animal to anything you'd like. :) (Used this as inspiration: http://www.fableblades.com/Longclaw.html)

Appearance: a silvery greatsword of the bear

Dropped: Emanating the spirit of a bear, a silvery greatsword lies here forsaken.

Examined: Expertly wrought from refined silver and Dwarven steel, this greatsword’s immense blade is suffused with an ethereal glow achieved by adding copious amounts of silvery essence into the forging process. An intricate lattice of snaring vines has been incised along the entire length of the blade, each inch marked with a malevolent thorn. Coordinating with the unique blade, elaborately interwoven bands of blackened leather wrap around the elongated horn grip of the blade, providing a secure hold for the wielder’s hands. A thin strip of tarnished gold marks the center of the handle, adding a striking contrast to the dark material. The grip then gradually advances into a crossguard which flairs out towards the blade, its quillons swooping into volutes at the ends. A miniscule bear paw has been embossed on the centre of the crossguard, extending the spirit of the bronze bear’s head sculpted into the pommel of the hilt. Vivid, red rubies glisten from the bear’s eyes, set into a resolute glare; while its teeth are bared into a vicious snarl, daring another soul to cross its path.