For any Achaean facebook users

MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Hi guys.

Recently someone created a fake Melodie Le'Murzen account on facebook. It contains a joke picture someone made for me for fun - which I posted here on forums - as well as my real birthday. It's gone around and friended several Achaeans (up to 80+ now), including myself. I accepted the friending just to post on its wall about it being a fake account/not really me, and it deleted the post and unfriended me, so I decided it might be wise to post here on the forums instead while I try to work with facebook (who is incredibly frustrating to work with since this isn't impersonating the real me, just a character I play) to give you guys a heads up.

While no malicious information has been posted yet, I wanted to head it off in case such takes place, and/or you were weirded out that "I" randomly friended you for no reason. I use my real name in facebook, not an Achaean account. Feel free to remove it from your friends list, as well as to report it if you wish to take the time to do so.

Thanks for being understanding, and sorry to take up a forum thread just for a personal issue.
And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up, Melodie. Your fake profile did in fact try to friend me!
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    A couple people have asked, so I'll just go ahead and say no, I don't know who is doing this, I just know it's probably some Achaean, and someone who either pays far too much attention to me or is on my Skype list (which I am now clearing out of random Achaeans I don't talk to, so sorry if you're affected by that - nothing personal).
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Hi sweetie, glad I'm too out of the picture to have received that invite.
    I'm sorry for you. Chin up and stand strong.

• Oh cool, now I don't need to feel bad for seeing that request and glossing over it.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Can always report it for impersonating you, iirc
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

edited February 2015
    I did. They closed it the first time. I had to report it a second time in a really weird way (so I could give more information) because it's not impersonating me so much as my character. Still waiting on the second case to get reviewed - we'll see. If this doesn't work, I'll dig into better ways to contact facebook more directly.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Tharvis, it's not technically impersonating because a character in a game isn't real. The most you can do is report them for being a fake profile and go for harassment.

They let up on the fake names thing since the drama from the LGBT community where they were banning accounts of people that used names they identified with. I think that was around the same time that Ello got a population surge increase but yeah. That angle is less of an issue now.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Technically, couldn't IRE put in a request to have the page shut down, as they own the character and this person created the page without their permission?  If all else fails that is?
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    that'll require @Sarapis or Jeremy, I think
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited February 2015
    Things like this make me glad to not have Facebook.

Berenene said:
    Technically, couldn't IRE put in a request to have the page shut down, as they own the character and this person created the page without their permission?  If all else fails that is?
    Technically, no, but it can be reported for using a false name, which FB will likely require them to change or cancel the account.

• Are you sure it's down? Or did you have a melodie account yourself? I see one with 1000+ friends :s
    edited February 2015
    That's an old account I made from the days of facebook credits. Probably should go on and delete that.

Mmm. Facebook credits.

Edit: Requested a delete of the account. Will take a few weeks for it all to disappear but it should be good to go.