Questions on Fishing Properly

Yeah, guess what! More fishing questions!

So I've managed to hone my reflexes on teasing line and jerking line (actual reflexes, not triggers), and I'm starting to pull in a good haul of medium fish. However, at trans fishing, and master anger, I've only caught 2 of the 20 large fish I've tried for. They always break my line, pulling out 25-60 feet at a time, and I only reel in like 10-20 when they get so far out. I seem to reel faster the shorter the line is at the time.

So my question is.. is there a trick to reeling? Is my automatic reeling trigger causing this? Why am I not catching big fish? If this is normal.. then what's the point of large fish at all? What can I do to improve my fishing ability?

I just wanna catch some bigger fish :<

Best Answer

Answers

• What do you mean by big fish? Large strikes or large bait?
  • I assumed large bait when I wrote that by the by. Pretty sure that's what you meant. Large strikes shouldn't make a difference on reeling difficulties (from what I know) a tiny fish can still make a large strike can't it? 
  • Tahquil said:
    What do you mean by big fish? Large strikes or large bait?
    Large bait, yes. I know large strikes don't correlate at all with the size of the fish, I ain't no newbie! Haha.

Well I guess I'll call it answered, answer being - it's a fact of life. I just wish that I knew of any ways to increase my chances of catching these large fish. If this is how the large fish system works, I don't understand why it's there, if there's very very little chance of it being profitable, much less a complete waste of money. Unless you've got a bucket that gives you free bait (thanks for lending me yours, Amanu!), I wouldn't ever fish with large bait.
  • Originally, fishing scaled with Strength. Basically, the only way to catch large river fish was to be a Dragon-class with strength arties and then also get moderately lucky. It was almost never worth it even then, because the rate of pulling vs the rate you can reel in rivers, combined with the snap-point of rivers, means at any time it could pull 3-4 times a long distance and you'd lose the fish.

Now that fishing is 'normalized' and stats don't help you, you can't stack anything in your favor, and odds are even lower to catch large river fish.

TL;DR Fishing for large river fish is not profitable barring a change to how they work.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Unless you watch your casts. Casting shorter increases the chances you can over power and reel in the fish in the first few spins. Personally for large baits I try to keep my casts 50-65m.
  • Jarrod said:
    Originally, fishing scaled with Strength.
    Not originally, that was added alongside deep-sea fishing, four years after fishing was first implemented.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    When was the last time someone was punished for autofishing? I don't hear about it much, but those public hangings served a purpose.
  • Hanging them up by hooks in their lips? I want to see that.

A pillory where the corpses of offending gold farmers can hang for public ridicule and target practice next to a crate of rotting vegetables. Reputation is what matters, anymore.
  • Or instead of shrubbing, turned into a fish. Can swim up and down rivers, powerless to resist bait cast into your room. If you are caught, the fisherman see s a surprising resemblance to your player in your fishy face and you die. If you snap the line, you get to keep going and travel the water rooms.

• Arador said:
    Or instead of shrubbing, turned into a fish. Can swim up and down rivers, powerless to resist bait cast into your room. If you are caught, the fisherman see s a surprising resemblance to your player in your fishy face and you die. If you snap the line, you get to keep going and travel the water rooms.
    This needs to be a thing.
  • Oddly enough, putting more work into dealing with rulebreakers to make their naughty step time more enjoyable isn't something we're going to do!
  • Then you should have a godly fisherman that hooks mortal auto-fishers, stuffs them and hangs them on his wall. Instead of rustling any movement they make makes them sing a song about how sad they are they got caught auto-fishing and people can go see the collection and make them flop around for a few hundred gold coins.
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Herenicus said:
    When was the last time someone was punished for autofishing? I don't hear about it much, but those public hangings served a purpose.
    One more of the many public services your friendly neighborhood pirate(s) provide.

But who watches the watchmen?!
  • Taraus said:
    Herenicus said:
    One more of the many public services your friendly neighborhood pirate(s) provide.
    I sank a ship like 2 weeks ago. Issued myself to ask how to go about reporting suspected auto-fishing and got a rpely that it was already being looked into.