The Big Change - Tradeskills

Comments

• Antonius said:
    Kyrra said:
    @Antonius, I believe so yes.
    Hm, thanks. Now that I've actually been able to get in there and kill them a few times the amount of chitin you get isn't that bad, especially with the artefact cleaver, so it shouldn't be that big an issue.
    Underworld ones are just meat, and Zaphar are either meat or red, I forget. LHG is red or meat also.
  • Trilliana said:
    Jukilian said:
    @Trilliana‌

I haven't tried enchanting scrolls yet. Do we know yet if there is a way to enchant 5 at a time with a Medallion?

Is it possible to batch scrolls by enchantment type in shops?

Do scrolls bought before the scroll name-changes-on-enchanting when they are enchanted now, have their name change still?

Cheers!
    I had to give up my Medallion, but I think what was said a few pages back is it won't be possible, which is logical since the enchantments we can put on the scrolls are a one at a time enchantment.

The names do change now, from a thick scroll of vellum (or whatever it is) to something like A scroll possessing the water walking enchantment

Um, in regards to enchanting multiple scrolls at once, where was it stated this wouldn't be possible or implemented? I have messages from admin stating that it should be possible, but they had not yet implemented it yet.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I'm a little brain dead and don't wanna dig through 14 pages so forgive me if it's already been asked... 

you're given 2 trade skills by default, one at lv 30, the second at lv 50. Subsequent trade skills come at 50 credits each and take more lessons to master. 

What happens if, say, you picked your 2 trade skills, didn't put any lessons into them and decided to pick a different trade skill instead? Can you just forget the first two skills and then replace them with something else? There's no additional lesson penalty right? 

What about if say... you learned gathering (1st), cooking (2nd) and tailoring (3rd). You decided to give up gathering (which was your first tradeskill, earned by level and at the default lesson cost), what would the cost be like for learning a different trade skill after that? 

• edited January 2015
    You can take 2 and release them without spending lessons and you just get 2 new o es like nothing happened. In the case you learn three and drop the second, I think the cost to relearn anew skill is as if it were your second skill but it may be as if its your third. Its definitely not as if its your fourth' I remember reading that
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Skye said:
    I'm a little brain dead and don't wanna dig through 14 pages so forgive me if it's already been asked... 

you're given 2 trade skills by default, one at lv 30, the second at lv 50. Subsequent trade skills come at 50 credits each and take more lessons to master. 

What happens if, say, you picked your 2 trade skills, didn't put any lessons into them and decided to pick a different trade skill instead? Can you just forget the first two skills and then replace them with something else? There's no additional lesson penalty right? 

What about if say... you learned gathering (1st), cooking (2nd) and tailoring (3rd). You decided to give up gathering (which was your first tradeskill, earned by level and at the default lesson cost), what would the cost be like for learning a different trade skill after that? 
    It will always pick the cheapest slot, say you have Cooking and Armoursmithing as your initial two, and you have remedies in an additional slot, if you then forget Armoursmithing and gain Harvesting, you'll pay the normal number of lesson for your second tradeskill.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Tecton said:
    Skye said:

It will always pick the cheapest slot, say you have Cooking and Armoursmithing as your initial two, and you have remedies in an additional slot, if you then forget Armoursmithing and gain Harvesting, you'll pay the normal number of lesson for your second tradeskill.
    But if you forget Remedies and gain Harvesting, what happens? Is it free to pick up (i.e., you already paid 50cr for a "third slot"), but will require extra lessons to Trans?
  • Yes you have to learn the new skill. That being said, you still get a refund of a portion lessons when you forget the trade skill. I think its 50%
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Krypton said:
    Tecton said:
    Skye said:

But if you forget Remedies and gain Harvesting, what happens? Is it free to pick up (i.e., you already paid 50cr for a "third slot"), but will require extra lessons to Trans?
    Yes, tradeskill permits are like clan slots, once you buy them, they're yours forever!
  • The "training" descriptor on weapons bugs me, because the comma (when used with a second descriptor) is wrong. With the comma, "training" is something the weapon is doing, rather than what the weapon is for.

It's similarly wrong for training to ever be the first of two descriptors, but that's entirely the smith's fault if it happens, not the game's.
  • Only if you die immediately if you try to mix and match pieces of armour with wildly different descriptors. Don't want people running around looking like low level World of Warcraft characters.
  • Don't you go dissing piecemeal armour! (Also, yeah, totally let us have bracers. Mmmm, bracers...)

• edited January 2015
    Sena said:
    The "training" descriptor on weapons bugs me, because the comma (when used with a second descriptor) is wrong. With the comma, "training" is something the weapon is doing, rather than what the weapon is for.

It's similarly wrong for training to ever be the first of two descriptors, but that's entirely the smith's fault if it happens, not the game's.
    It isn't just semantically wrong, it's syntactically wrong.

"Training weapon" is a noun-noun compound, not an adjective and a noun.

Just as a sanity check, I did a corpus search in COCA and I'm not even sure I would say "with the comma, 'training' is something the weapon is doing" (though that's my intuition about what it would mean) so much as I would say that people just don't ever write "[adj], training [noun]" for any reason. There are maybe one or two attestations in the entire 450 million word corpus of "training" followed by a noun and preceded by an adjective with a comma after it.

You should typo this.

A comma would be necessary when saying something like "a mediocre, training athlete." (Because the athlete is mediocre and training.)

But yes, "training [noun]" is in most instances a compound noun, like "golden retriever" or "magnifying glass," and should not preceded by a comma.

Both "large, golden retriever" and "broken, magnifying glass" have incorrectly used a comma.

• Krypton said:

A comma would be necessary when saying something like "a mediocre, training athlete." (Because the athlete is mediocre and training.)

Absolutely - I was just pointing out that, as it turns out, that situation pretty much just doesn't come up. In 450 million words I found maximally two attestations and, if I could see more of the local context on the web view of COCA results, I'm not even sure they would hold up.

Either way, there definitely shouldn't be a comma there. Or in your other examples (are those actually in the game? "Broken, magnifying glass" is atrocious).
  • To be pedantic, "a large, golden retriever" is syntactically correct, but means something rather different from "a large golden retriever." In the latter case, you'd be referring to a large dog of a particular breed; in the former, you'd be talking about something large and golden that retrieves things, or perhaps a dog statue made of gold, or any number of other things.
  • WessuxWessux Chattanooga
    Achimrst said:

This all day everyday. Its gonna be ok guys just let it go. It's still weird to me that you guys are arguing about it. I've heard training used as both a noun and an adjective my whole life. 
    Invest in a 9mm retirement plan.
  • edited January 2015
    Wessux said:

This all day everyday. Its gonna be ok guys just let it go. It's still weird to me that you guys are arguing about it. I've heard training used as both a noun and an adjective my whole life. 
    Literally no one is saying it isn't a noun and an adjective.

But "training sword" is unquestionably, demonstrably a compound (this is why, for instance, the phrasal stress ends up on "training" and not on "sword"). It's a small thing, but there definitely shouldn't be a comma before it if it's preceded by an adjective.
    Nim said:
    To be pedantic, "a large, golden retriever" is syntactically correct, but means something rather different from "a large golden retriever." In the latter case, you'd be referring to a large dog of a particular breed; in the former, you'd be talking about something large and golden that retrieves things, or perhaps a dog statue made of gold, or any number of other things.

Uhh, to be pedantic, there is always a situation where the comma can be correct.

"A large, training sword" is correct if you're talking about a large, sentient sword that is training itself to do something.

• You guys are making me miss The Chroniclers again. Time to go bug @Madelyne about that clan...
  • edited January 2015
    @Trilliana I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but is pricing of multiple and differently enchanted scrolls been made easier yet, or does PRICE ALL SCROLL1234 etc still just price every scroll and not just scrolls the same type as scroll1234?
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Jukilian said:
    @Trilliana I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but is pricing of multiple and differently enchanted scrolls been made easier yet, or does PRICE ALL SCROLL1234 etc still just price every scroll and not just scrolls the same type as scroll1234?
    The appearances are all different now so it works as it should.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kuy said:
    Message #927        Sent by Achaea
    1/02/21:29 Your bug report (detail: Gem of Cloaking currently does not hide its owner on TRADEWHO.) - has been removed because it is not a bug (usually meaning that this is the way things are intended to be). Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or misunderstanding that may be involved. The following notes were included: It does for most people, but it will show cloaked people in the same house or city.

Yay for foresight!

Whoever answered this bug, did a poor job of researching the issue.  I can see plenty of people NOT in the same city and NOT in the same house as me.  People that have spent a lot of money to have a gem and a veil, just to have them nullified over TRADEWHO.  Someone needs to fix this.  @Tecton can you look in to this, since the bug checkers just deleted my bug without comment.  Thank you.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Czanthria said:
    Kuy said:
    1/02/21:29 Your bug report (detail: Gem of Cloaking currently does not hide its owner on TRADEWHO.) - has been removed because it is not a bug (usually meaning that this is the way things are intended to be). Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or misunderstanding that may be involved. The following notes were included: It does for most people, but it will show cloaked people in the same house or city.

Yay for foresight!

Whoever answered this bug, did a poor job of researching the issue.  I can see plenty of people NOT in the same city and NOT in the same house as me.  People that have spent a lot of money to have a gem and a veil, just to have them nullified over TRADEWHO.  Someone needs to fix this.  @Tecton can you look in to this, since the bug checkers just deleted my bug without comment.  Thank you.

I've had a bug report in since the day it came out. Hasn't been deleted yet, but still marked 'untested'. Will let ye both know if I see any change on it?
    Huh. Neat.

Ahmet said:
    Czanthria said:
    Kuy said:

Yay for foresight!

I've had a bug report in since the day it came out. Hasn't been deleted yet, but still marked 'untested'. Will let ye both know if I see any change on it?
    Cause you can also see people who are either off-plane or writing in something
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:

Ahmet said:
    Czanthria said:
    Kuy said:

Yay for foresight!

Thank you!  It's tested and it's broke!  Veil and gem are completely negated if the owner of those two items has a trade skill. 
  • Incorrect. The veil continues to function even if you show up on crafterwho since the veil does nothing to hide your presence on WHO lists.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    if it beats gem for people not in your own faction, that does sound like a bug though. Haven't witnessed that happen personally yet, though
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

Czanthria said:
    Ahmet said:

Ahmet said:
    Czanthria said:
    Kuy said:

Yay for foresight!

Thank you!  It's tested and it's broke!  Veil and gem are completely negated if the owner of those two items has a trade skill. 
    Message #636        Sent by Achaea
    2/10/21:15 Your bug report (detail: Tradewho shows gemmed people. Currently showing Czanthria and 
    Kei for me, while neither are in QWHO, both gemmed.) - has been fixed. The following notes were 
    included: Be live soon.

FIX INCOMING

@Czanthria @Kuy
    Huh. Neat.