Editor formatting

SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
edited February 2015 in North of Thera
Will we ever have more options in formatting with the IG editor?

Colours are probably a long time in coming, but it'd be nice if we could have bolding, underlining and italicising so we can have some control over the text without making documents look like a wall of text.

Comments

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Colour is definitely some thing we've considered and will probably add in the future (*). Things like bold/underline/italics aren't really easy to add, since they'd require client capabilities that fall outside the scope of telnet!

(*) Will probably be something akin to adding a specific heading and have that coloured so that people don't make rainbow-themed newsposts! I'm looking at you, @Blujixapug.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Nice! Funny to think that colours would be easier to add than bolding etc, but I guess that makes sense. :) Are there really still a lot of people using telnet as opposed to other clients?

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Well, all of the clients use telnet to connect, that's the underlying network protocol that your client connects to the game with. Similar to HTTP for your web browsers, the protocol is the same, regardless of what web browser you use!
  • Skye said:
    Nice! Funny to think that colours would be easier to add than bolding etc, but I guess that makes sense. :) Are there really still a lot of people using telnet as opposed to other clients?
    It's less that and more that MUD clients essentially emulate telnet-like functionality.

Technically, bold and underline are both possible, since they're part of ANSI escape codes, however bold is usually displayed by a brighter color. You know how CONFIG COLOUR has traditionally had 16 colors (maybe changed now with 256 colors, IDK, 256 colors had issues in tintin++)?

It actually has eight, and then bold multiplies the color options by two.

Underline is possible as well, but some clients might display that with a different color rather than legitimately underlining it.

A lot of other formatting options exist in the ANSI standard but aren't ever really used. Like, italics do exist, but I'm not sure I've ever seen an implementation of it.
  • My character would.

Please let this happen.

Even if it costs appropriately colored inks.
    edited February 2015
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    I remember inserting html for bold/italics/blinking used to work in zMUD, Clementius made announce post banning it because people were shouting in bolded blinking text. Only people using zMUD would see it though.

Haha yes I remember that too. It was so weird.

• Oh god, I remember send over clans size 72 font messages. :smiley:  Good memories