Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Engagement

2»

Comments

• PrythePrythe Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Those who know me know I take marriage very seriously - even though it is "just a game."

I have performed a few weddings over the years, and turned down more requests than that. I let the couple know that it is a relationship that I take seriously, and I need to know that they are in order for me to officiate.

The background for my views is that when I first started playing Achaea, out here in the offline world, in most places, there was no gay/lesbian marriage recognized by governments (religious orgs were ahead of the times on this).

It was so annoying to see "So and so has been divorced 5 times" while people out here :: points world :: were fighting for the right to marry once.

I still take it seriously, marriage, but do not have that same level of, "Darn it y'all, this is real stuff, don't make light of it!"

All *that* said - I do not think the restrictions are appropriate. There will always be young, stupid people, in the game, in the real world. If we set up too many rules for too many things there will no longer be a game,  with individualized role play, there will be a many act play, with everybody deciding which pre-determined role they wish to portray.

Maybe make divorce be a little more difficult - mimic offline there, where the divorce takes time to finalize or a remarriage cannot happen for a certain period of time. Include the caveats and full information in HELP MARRIAGE with reference to HELP DIVORCE. But let's not turn too much into Lockstep, other than where it fits naturally into RP (such as in Mhaldor).

Just my two cents.... 

Deborah
    on behalf of Prythe who has been married over ten real life years to Serendipity with whom I still maintain _offline_ contact (and we each obtained "approval" from our offline sig others to retain the status when that situation arose).

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

AstCelusia
  • DracenDracen Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Bluef said:
    Achaea is like real life in two aspects:

1. When you see a 18-19 year old engaged you mentally think in your most sarcastic voice, "Yeah.,.that'll last."

2. Who you are at 18-19 isn't who you most likely will become and roleplay as consistently at age 30 or for that matter, who you are at 30 isn't who you'll be at 100+.

I'm with @Caladbolg: Raise the limits, don't lower them! Heck, I'd love to see some cities even create intricate marital laws. Who you can marry, when you can marry, and real cultural and economic implications of marriage would be fun and it would make engagement/marriage more realistic. 

I'll buy you off Kaie for 2 cows, a bale of hay, and a side of bacon.
    BluefSharaAstCelusia
  • IocunIocun Member Posts: 3,506 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Herenicus said:
    Real Mhaldorians cohabitate rape each other like decent people. 
    Also, it's Melokilled, not Melodied.
    BronislavSkye
  • BluefBluef DelosMember Posts: 2,176 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Dracen said:
    Bluef said:

1. When you see a 18-19 year old engaged you mentally think in your most sarcastic voice, "Yeah.,.that'll last."

2. Who you are at 18-19 isn't who you most likely will become and roleplay as consistently at age 30 or for that matter, who you are at 30 isn't who you'll be at 100+.

I'm with @Caladbolg: Raise the limits, don't lower them! Heck, I'd love to see some cities even create intricate marital laws. Who you can marry, when you can marry, and real cultural and economic implications of marriage would be fun and it would make engagement/marriage more realistic. 

Damn. Kaie loves milk, so he may take you up on that deal.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, FloridaMember Posts: 5,084 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Iocun said:
    Herenicus said:
    Real Mhaldorians cohabitate rape each other like decent people. 
    Also, it's Melokilled, not Melodied.
    The first part made me :neutral: but the second part made me laugh. I cannot in good conscience like it, but I'd feel bad for not responding.

Thus, have an appropriate gif:

My wing tips waltz across naive
                     Wood floors they creak
                  Innocently down the stairs

Drag melody
    My percussive feet serve cobweb headaches as a
              Matching set of marching clocks
                The slumbering apparitions
              That they've come to wake up
    TristynXithAst
  • DracenDracen Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Bluef said:
    Dracen said:
    Bluef said:

Damn. Kaie loves milk, so he may take you up on that deal.
    Aww yeah, got myself a hypocrite, rage-inducing wife. AM I LIVING THE AMERICAN DREAM YET!?
  • XithXith Member Posts: 2,602 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Marriage is for suckers.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
    AedinKerria
  • SynbiosSynbios Member Posts: 4,621 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Cohabitative matrimony is for lesser meatbags. Quantum mitosis is the way forward!

NimBluef
  • BluefBluef DelosMember Posts: 2,176 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Quantum entanglements. So hot.
    Aerek
This discussion has been closed.