Apostate - Alchemist - Magi: Some basic questions

Hi! I've been looking into these classes and was interested in learning about some of their differences in RP (like, what could be end-game goals for a character), how they compare in bashing (e.g., apostate tankiness better than alchemist, or magi kill speed better than alchemist etc.) and how they generally approach combat. Any suggestions on trait/stat choices and artifacts are welcome, too! (for bashing mostly but helping combat too)

Best Answers

Answers

• Wow, amazing and very informative answers! Thanks a lot! Sucks to be gimped on either bashing or hunting depending on trait choices as an Apostate/Alchemist, though... :disappointed: RP aside, Magi seem to be the best all things considered it seems. SoA seems to be king, always, but how about races? How crippling would a con spec, or lets say a horkval with int spec, be for magi? Or to the bashing speed for alchemist? 
  • Sharidin said:
    How crippling would a con spec, or lets say a horkval with int spec, be for magi? Or to the bashing speed for alchemist? 
    For alchemist, con-spec (or a mix of con and int) is a perfectly viable choice. I currently have 14 con and 12 int as an alchemist, and I prefer it (for bashing) over the 12 con and 14 int I used to have. With artefacts though, it would be better to focus more on int because increasing your defence with artefacts is easier and cheaper than boosting offence, so it makes more sense to use your stats for offence and compensate for the low con with defensive artefacts. And for alchemist combat, int isn't very important at all.

Low int will be more of a problem for magi. They use a lot more mana than alchemists/apostates, and stoneskin/diamondskin also scale somewhat with int. So I wouldn't recommend full con spec for magi, but you can do fine with int-spec horkval (which gives 14 int).
  • Sena said:

With artefacts though, it would be better to focus more on int because increasing your defence with artefacts is easier and cheaper than boosting offence, so it makes more sense to use your stats for offence and compensate for the low con with defensive artefacts.
    While not one of the classes being discussed here, I thought of doing the same thing. I know Blademasters can't use SOA :cry:, but what is the best order of buying them for the majority of classes? Belt -> Bracelet -> Ring?
  • As a general guideline for bashing, I'd probably say SoA -> sip ring -> bracelet -> belt -> regen ring.

More specifically (only counting defensive things), I'd do SoA, trans avoidance, L1 sip ring, L1 bracelet+belt (the order depends on whether you care more about mana or endurance, if you only care about health the order doesn't matter much at level 1), L2 sip ring, L2 bracelet, L2 belt, L1 regen ring, L3 bracelet, L2 regen ring, L3 sip ring, L3 belt. That's somewhat based on my preferences, it's not absolutely the best order (though it's definitely best to spread them out and get level 1-2 of multiple artefacts than to get just one level 3). I would also get some offensive artefacts before maxing out defence.
  • Well, as a str-spec Xoran I guess my L1 BM Band is enough for now? :smiley: I have trans avoidance but still take good enough beating as a squishy BM. Hmm... maybe going Mir stance with L3 Band would offset some of the problems of the stance? Anyway, sorry for butting in, this thread has another focus.

And on that topic, I played around with an Apostate alt many years, when Decay didnt scale with Necromancy, and it was still nice. I liked the RP of the class a lot though, because you can do some very evil stuff if you like that. Played an Alchemist very briefly when they came out (but I decided on making this my main one a BM instead - bashing was waaaaaaaaay better), and I liked how versatile their RP could be! That would also be the case with Magi, but I always liked the lore surrounding Alchemy in our world, and that could help with RP directions, perhaps?
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Damage for a BM isn't strength based, you might find it better to be con specced

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    Damage for a BM isn't strength based, you might find it better to be con specced
    Uh? Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I am killing stuff faster than when I was con-specced human... Or are you referring perhaps to combat?

Also, I had a question to ask, too, about Alchemist, now that it popped into my mind. How does the whole Anchor thing affect the class in its aspects? I think you could get several unique bonuses through that?