Limb Damage Equation concept

Comments

• edited February 2015

It's been made 100% clear that I can't guarantee that it's exactly the equation used by the game multiple times now, I don't understand why you keep bringing it up.  It's obvious that nobody knows what the game code is, and it's also obvious that there are many rational explanations for a single mistake than "Ernam is out to lie to everyone once again".  Perhaps I made a mistake?  Perhaps @Nim made a mistake?  Perhaps there was an adjustment to the actual attacks?

If there is anything wrong, it would be the first instance of it since release of the system, and I would immediately fix it.  Until I have any indication of this actually being the case, I'm just going to have to politely ask that you stop accusing me of lying every time I speak.  I suppose if your history is any indication, there is zero chance of that actually happening, despite the fact that in reality Manda is hands down the best limb damage system ever made, with nothing else even coming close, and the only reason you have to complain (about a system you don't even use) is that you do not like me.

Seriously.  Please.  Find a new forum boo to stalk.  Being called a liar on a daily basis, particularly as a result of me dumping countless hours of work into something almost entirely for the benefit of others is beyond childish and inappropriate.  If you offered to donate $1,000,000 to charity, and offered up $999,999, I wouldn't follow you around everywhere you went to call you a malevolent liar and to make sure everyone you ever speak to knows it.
  • how much are you charging anyways?
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited February 2015
    Ernam said:

It's been made 100% clear that I can't guarantee that it's exactly the equation used by the game multiple times now, I don't understand why you keep bringing it up... 
    But... but..

List of Features      * - unique to Manda

· Accurate to a single hitpoint, regardless of stance, weapon, opponent's health, etc, using the exact limb damage equations the game engine uses. *

This, and other equally unsubstantiated claims, are why people keep attacking.

@Rangor 20 USD, or free with Godzilla (125 USD)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • So equivalent of 50 credits, or half a graphics game. For functionality that's not really needed, but is very very helpful.

Not really overpriced if it gives you a working GUI interface of your targets limb damage that can be relied upon. I usually make my own or convince other people to give me theirs, but if that proves too difficult and you have thousands of credits lying about.....

• I dunno man, I just think it's more poor word choices in what amounts to a car promising to be the ultimate driving experience. You might have problem with what he says or how you perceive him or his attitude, but #realtalk: there are quite a few forum goers that I'd rather just never spoke again. That's my problem, not theirs and I try not to show my ass about it in public. We're better than that. Ernam is not an achaean martyr, nor is anyone else the inquisition. Get off his nuts and/or get over yourselves. 

On topic, manda and godzilla seem great to me whether there are inconsistencies or not. It comes with support and is a platform to do whatever you want with. I'd buy them if they didn't cost 500 credits or whatever based only on the fact that I'm too lazy to handle my own coding shit. Not 500 though, I can't save more than 450 without changing class.

• Ernam said:

It's been made 100% clear that I can't guarantee that it's exactly the equation used by the game multiple times now, I don't understand why you keep bringing it up.

I'm not going to go through your posts and quote you, but you have said this exact same thing in multiple threads, and on your website. I made a post specifically telling you that we have such a big issue with this because that's exactly what you claimed - a 100% guarantee that your system is perfectly accurate down to 1 hitpoint, and that it uses the "exact" (not "close to" or "similar to") equation/formula that the game uses. I gave you suggestions on what to say instead, but you ignored that.

• I ignored you because I have you on Ignore, and don't wish to interact with you - a preference that you seem to have zero respect for.

• That's unfortunate. People wouldn't have a problem with this if you followed the advice I pleasantly gave you. 

• Cooper said:
    Ernam said:

It's been made 100% clear that I can't guarantee that it's exactly the equation used by the game multiple times now, I don't understand why you keep bringing it up.

I'm not going to go through your posts and quote you, but you have said this exact same thing in multiple threads, and on your website. I made a post specifically telling you that we have such a big issue with this because that's exactly what you claimed - a 100% guarantee that your system is perfectly accurate down to 1 hitpoint, and that it uses the "exact" (not "close to" or "similar to") equation/formula that the game uses. I gave you suggestions on what to say instead, but you ignored that.
    I think everyone knows that there's no love lost between Cooper and I, but when he's right..he's right. I'm big enough to admit that. @Ernam you should be too if for no other reason than you recently posted about people's perception of you and that they were judging you without knowing you. This kind of behavior and these kinds of posts trying to explaining away hasty generalizations you've made are what all we know of you.

The Official Counter
    ------------------------
    # Times I've had to view the Manda | Godzilla | SLC links 
    in this thread alone since my OP on advertisements: 3
  • I've got to be honest, it's pretty crappy to claim 100% accuracy, which you most certainly did, and it not hold up. You also said, numerous times, that it is exactly the same (result-wise) equation used by IRE.

I hate the Ernam-hate-wagon, but I would strongly advise you to rethink your wording on some of your claims. Regardless of how you defend the way you worded things, the fact is this: If the vast majority of people who read your claims infer a particular meaning from them, and you then dispute their interpretation saying they were wrong, perhaps it is your wording that needs work. You're obviously a fairly intelligent individual, so why not apply that to things -other- then just coding? I.E. Interacting with people. In summary:

1. If people perceive even a slight dishonesty in a perceived advertisement of a product that costs money, they will likely become hostile to it. No one likes being lied to, or feeling lied to or mislead, especially when it cold involve money.

2. You made claims, or allowed your claims to be worded in a way so as to mislead people, which did not hold up to scrutiny. Whether the way people interpreted your posts was intentional or not, the result is the same- people feel lied to, and therefore become hostile towards you.

3. lying and exaggeration are very nearly the same thing. If you claim 100% accuracy, knowing full well it is only 99.9999999% accurate, you have lied. There is no way around it. If the result is anything other than what you specifically claimed, it was a lie. If it was accidental, forget your ego and just admit- "Hey guys, my bad, turns out I'm not perfect, I'm going to fix the shit out of it so it doesn't happen again." Combined with point 1, exaggerating like this is a sure-fire way to be on the wrong end of the discussion.

tl;dr Apply your attention to detail and intelligence to the way you word claims about your products, and understand that exaggerating is another form of lying.

Also, I don't know IRE's policy on these types of things, but I'd imagine advertising something as something other than what it is is frowned upon, at the very least.

On a more personal note, regarding release of the information: Curing knowledge is very, very common knowledge; however, do you think that that fact has prevented Vadi from selling SVO? People are paying for its ease of use and reliability, as well as the support for it.

I sincerely believe that releasing the formula would benefit the community while not severely impacting the sale of your system. Your scripting and GUI features and whatnot are not something others will easily replicate, so your product still retains it's uniqueness. Fr example: I'm thinking about buying Vadi's limb counter. It's relatively cheap, and I like its simplicity and reliability, even though I only have to count to 5 as a Magi to count limbs.

I doubt very much that the top tier combatants who have the money and credits to afford your systems would need them, as their existing limb counters are obviously doing well enough. Chances are, you'd release the formula, and if it's correct you're given credit for finally cracking the code and revolutionizing weapon-class training and doctrine (as the old days of basic/crude limb counting will be over) and the formula is further developed and refined, helping every aspiring combatant to be even better. Then, we'll have more good combatants for you to test your mettle against, and perhaps you'll find a new love for the game.

• I keep coming back to this thread forgetting there is no useful information here.
  • edited February 2015
    Alaskar said: I would strongly advise you to rethink your wording on some of your claims.

I have rethought it, and have repeatedly re-worded it, and I apologized and apologize once more for any confusion or mis-communication.  For about the 4th or 5th time now, I'll reiterate that the equations are not necessarily exactly the same as the game engine (although I believe they probably actually are).  I have no way to access the game code, so I cannot verify this in any other way that the fact that all of the equations fit a mold and aestheticism game-wide, and all output flawless results, two facts that I don't believe could be coincidence, considering the depth and quantity of my data and exactness of method of mathematical approach.

The probability of a single equation passing the three or four different tests I put them through, while failing to ever show a single erroneous result... it's highly unlikely, and even if it occurred, it would still output the correct answer 99.9% of the time.  And of course, if I ever heard of this 0.1% (which probably doesn't actually exist), I would immediately incorporate that information and correct any error, should it actually exist.

I think this is perfectly adequate as a guarantee to users of my systems.  If you don't think this is sufficient, or you're unwilling to accept the fact that I am repeatedly correcting my initial statement regarding the equations, then please simply... don't buy it.  I don't understand two individuals (who famously accuse me of lying almost every time I post something), feel the need to forum police, when all I'm trying to do is provide something powerful and useful, that so far, nobody else has bothered to/been able to do.
  • Ernam said:
    ...assume that it is perfectly accurate (because it would be)...

Ernam said:
    Jacen said:
    Could you explain how you're able to derive a "perfectly accurate" limb damage formula using only a sample of the full range of max health possibilities?

I could!  However, that'd spoil the fun.  For the sake of discussion, simply assume that it is perfectly accurate.  If and when it's released, its lack of error "in the field" would be evidence of its accuracy.
    Ernam said:
    Jacen said:
    The "perfectly accurate" statement just turns me off. If you claimed it was accurate for over 300 max health values for every class, I'd be fine with that. Saying you've achieved perfect accuracy just demonstrates a lack of understanding of how applied math works, though. 
    I can state that it's accurate for at least 9,500 values (500-10,000hp).   It's possible that the equation stops being perfectly accurate past the point where I've tested, however I sincerely doubt that this is the case.  Also, please do simply assume what I'm asking about is perfect, because what I don't want a poll and/or debate revolving around whether or not people believe me.

The thing is, there is a way to solve it, perfectly, it's just obviously really complex to do - which is why nobody has done it prior to this (particularly since the two classes I started with are both brand new). I will also mention that I have far more than 300 data points.  Like... that's off by several orders of magnitude.
    Ernam said:

Rangor said:
    Would prefer if limb damage formulaes were available from achaea's side. 

I think that now that the real equations are out there, but generating income for me...
    Ernam said:
    Jarrel said:
    Equation or lies. Why would IRE release information on the basis of blackmail +/- lie?

Blackmail?  What?  I was suggesting that IRE might disclose the mechanics behind limb damage now that some people have access to it and others do not (based on who pays a 3rd party for access to it).
    Klendathu said:
    From the Manda website:

Accurate to a single hitpoint, regardless of stance, weapon, opponent's health, etc, using the exact limb damage equations the game engine uses

And after all this, the website is still making the "Accurate to a single hitpoint, regardless of stance, weapon, opponent's health, etc, using the exact limb damage equations the game engine uses" claim. This is false advertising and a scam, because you're promising to deliver the exact equations IRE uses to the user. Maybe the Achaean admin don't care about completely outside of the game scams like this, but they certainly should, especially when someone is implying they've hacked or otherwise obtained information about the game code and using those claims to turn a profit.
  • I humbly repeat my request for people to slow down trolling @Ernam until I'm finished. It would not do for this thread to be closed before I finish my report. :)
  • This thread is the most interesting version of "oh yeah?  Bet I'm smarter than you." I've ever seen on here (and it's definitely not just Ernam playing).  
  • edited February 2015

@Jacen All of those, aside from the website reference (which I will modify shortly), were clearly stated as "assumed to be" 100% accurate, hypothetical, or in regards to a system that I have yet to actually release to a single person (or create).  Just an FYI.  To be clear, the entire argument here is preposterous, as I haven't even written the system I'm proposing yet, and probably never will, in light of this thread.  I haven't scammed anyone, nor do I intend to.

Regarding Manda, which seems to have been misconstrued for what I was talking about here,  other than the one person who bought my system purely to spend their free time trying to find an error, I have yet to have a single person using my system deliver a single complaint or error of any kind.  I don't consider this a "scam", nor do I think any sane person would.  You would never be launching this full-on forum war if this was Vadi, Austere, or Nemutaur's thread.

And to be clear, if any supposed errors are reported, I will test them myself to duplicate the results, and provide a prompt update if valid.  I think this is more than adequate, and there's really nothing more I can promise without seeing Achaea's source code (read: never).
  • hahahahaha

• Correction: I bought it for the formula, based on your earlier statements of being supportive of such efforts. It failed against my local data and against followup tests. You were and will continue to be informed of all such failures. I am not hostile, merely a perfectionist. :3

• I have updated the website to be more clear and to reflect the fact that I am unable to see the game's source code.

· DESIGN CONCEPT: Accurate to a single hitpoint, regardless of stance, weapon, opponent's health, etc, using the exact limb damage equations the game engine uses.  (see below)

[ as close as can be determined without seeing the game's source code!]

• Wow the people in this thread
  • FFS man, what's wrong with chopping off everything after "using"?  You're pretty much saying:

I'm using IRE's limb damage equation*

*I'm not actually using IRE's limb damage equation.
  • Not an ounce of introspection.

• edited February 2015
    Ernam, I haven't seen you apologize anywhere besides that post at 2:19pm today. If I missed that, I'm sorry.

Edit below:

So just to be clear, ANYTHING you've said regarding the limb damage equation hasn't involved Manda/Godzilla, and has only involved the theoretical system you haven't built/distributed yet?

Not trying to be an ass, I just don't want to put words in your mouth or have another misunderstanding.

• edited February 2015
    My favourite part in this thread was the part where one person said there might be a flaw with Ernam's limb counter, and everyone took that as the gospel that it was flawed and took that as an excuse to dogpile on Ernam again.

You're all pretty full of yourselves, aren't you?
  • My favourite part was Bluef getting her flag threats on.

• God it is so frustrating to keep coming back to this thread looking for more info on this system to have my eyes gouged out by Cooper and Bluef's hate boners. 

Just stfu already, we get it, you love to hate the guy and you get an itch in your crotch every time you see an opportunity to tell everyone else what you think about him and point out any possible character flaw or typo, seriously... we all get it. We aren't blind, we know there is a difference between 100% and 99%, we get that one thing is promised and another thing could be delivered, we're tracking with you. Wtf do you want him to do, just roll over and take orders from you because you da boss god almighty? You want him to post a video of him crying, mascara running down his cheeks, begging for your forgiveness? Move on. 

Also, complaining and flagging for advertising the link in his signature? Seriously? Better try to start another bandwagon, no one is jumping on that one with you. 

Sure, maybe he is being a knucklehead with the way he words the accuracy of his system and maybe his claim could be a stretch, but FFS you don't have to act like some 300 lb cheeto-fingered girlfriend screaming at him from the den because he said he would fix dinner by 5pm and it is 5:01pm. 

Maybe Nim found a hole in the Matrix. Or maybe Ernam made a typo when he plugged in the damage value of that one particular attack. Or maybe *le gasp!*, the damage of that attack was changed after he wrote it and he hasn't updated it yet. That doesn't mean the formula is wrong. Doesn't prove it is right, but definitely doesn't completely prove it wrong. Let Nim finish the testing and report the results, the system could be complete garbage or it could be completely badass, you don't know yet. I've never in my life seen so many monkeys irately throwing shit in the dark because they thought they heard a noise they didn't like. 

(disclaimer: I do not know this guy IC or OOC, never interacted with him in the game and I've no loyalty to him or his system, I've not purchased it and I could care less what kind of guy he is, I just want to look at this system without seeing all your BS about what kind of character he is)

• edited February 2015

Yeah I'm kind of at a loss.  I don't know what else I can do at this point to appease some individuals, so I'm just going to stop trying.  It is certainly worth noting that both of these individuals were banned from speaking to/about me for doing the exact same thing in countless other threads, and apparently just decided to (temporarily?) ignore that fact.

RE: OP - The topic in the thread has been discussed more than adequately.  It's evident that nearly everyone would like the system, but few would pay for it (or at least, won't admit to it =P).  That's fine, and it absolutely doesn't mean that I won't release it because of that, but it will certainly affect the priority of its development compared to other projects (namely, Godzilla/Manda).

Since things shifted to debating the accuracy of Manda instead of the prospective limb damage function, I'd like to go ahead repeat that anyone with examples of accuracy issues should please let me know, preferably with the relevant data, so that I can use that information to continue doing my best to provide the best system I can.  I would emphasize that you verify the results by ensuring you have (artefact band) settings configured correctly, and rule out other possible causes like a target changing max health, illusions, rebounding, and so on.  So far, I've yet to receive a single such example, however I believe @Nim has something up his sleeve.

And of course, if and when there are any visible or invisible adjustments to the equations, they'll be updated ASAP.  Remember... I use the systems too =).
  • Amranu said:
    My favourite part in this thread was the part where one person said there might be a flaw with Ernam's limb counter, and everyone took that as the gospel that it was flawed and therefore Ernam somehow owes the entire community an apology.

You're all pretty full of yourselves, aren't you?
    PREFACE: THIS IS NOT A "NAME-AND-SHAME."  DO NOT TAKE IT THAT WAY.  I am merely posting my thoughts as a consumer of a product.  In fact, consider this a consumer review of Manda.

I purchased Manda two days ago.  I'm currently finally getting around to playing with it.

It has been inaccurate on every single person (Melodie, Locki, Cooper, Cresil, Mycen, and Aegoth) that I've tested it on so far.  I'm routinely breaking people when their limbs should be 91%-99% broken.  Most cases have been in relation to off-slashes.  Two of these cases (Locki and Cresil), they have been related to the main-slash of Legslash.  All cases have been in Thyr.  I have ensured that the system is set to use the values for a level two (lightning) band.  This is enough testing to make me dissatisfied with Manda as a consumer, as I purchased a system that was advertised as:

"Accurate to a single hitpoint, regardless of stance, weapon, opponent's health..."

This alone leaves me rather dissatisfied.  The currently free BM limb counter (Dorn's) had these similar problems.  I purchased Manda with hopes of being able to use advanced parry bypasses (bypassing parry with off-slashes) while also being able to use pre-impaleslashes on a prone after the primary limb break of such a bypassing process.  Unfortunately, I am unable to do this.  In fact, the free system I have used (once more, Dorn's), has proven to be quite similar in the areas where it fails, leaving me with quite a bit of buyer's remorse (knowing that I could have a similarly functioning system that didn't cost me 20$).

All this aside, I'm also rather displeased with the lack of documentation.  The only true documentation lies in the script file itself, commented out.  The Manda menu offers the following commands:

Menus:          Commands:            
                  help           gui
                 setup           report  
                   API           reset
              godzilla           init
                 about           settings
           development

MANDA HELP is functioning.  MANDA SETUP returns "[M]:  Unknown command: setup. [M]:  (enter 'manda' for list of valid commands)". MANDA API is blank, other than the dragon logo. MANDA ABOUT lists various information which is also listed on the site, along with a passive-aggressive jab at three particular players which is incredibly unproffesional.  MANDA DEVELOPMENT is blank, other than the dragon logo.

MANDA GUI is functioning.  However, the original settings of the GUI cut off most of it.  I had to go into the script and resize the window in order for the preset GUI to even be fully visible.  MANDA REPORT is rather useful, listing various information about the current assess and limb settings for your target.  MANDA RESET silently resets the counter (there is no echo). MANDA INIT does nothing, as does MANDA SETTINGS.

All in all, I am very displeased with the product I have purchased.  I will not test it extensively, as the product was advertised to be completely functional, finished, and already tested within most reasonable realms.

Now, knowing that such things are rather... finicky, I have also informed the service department of these things and await a response.  I have offered to provide logs of these instances, but must wait for a response on how these logs should be generated.  I am not naive enough to think that such a service department would reply within the 40 minutes I have waited, especially considering I have heard tale of many people using this system - perhaps they, too, have also been asking these similar questions.

In summation, I am not satisfied with my purchase.  However, pending the reply of the above email and the results which are produced from such a thing, my opinion may very well change.  If all these issues are worked out in a reasonable time, I will, in fact, be rather happy with this purchase and recommend to both friends and other players.  However, as-is, this product is not either the 20$ I paid for it, or the time I have wasted in my aggravation.  I plan to go back to using the free system (Dorn's), and spending the time it takes to adjust to its various discrepancies, as I find its GUI much more pleasing, and far easier to manipulate. 
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • @Kuy
    I removed some of the menu options as they were replaced by bigger, better, more in-depth documentation on the site or elsewhere.  I thought this to be an improvement, but I can add links in the menu interface I suppose.

As for your testing, I have to assume there's a systemic issue here, since I've personally never had it make a mistake, and I used it for months.  I'm also going to repeat some data runs to verify that nothing has changed, game-side.

Now, considering the fact that the original reason that I built Manda was because I was frustrated with virtually every aspect of the hit counter you mentioned, I'm doubly motivated to ensure you get what you thought you would (unless your goal was to be dissatisfied, in which case, you've achieved a paradox).

I'd also be more than happy to refund your purchase if you are not satisfied with it, but regardless of whether or not you do, I will be following up to determine what's causing your issue to avoid others seeing it in the future.  The intent is a "fire and forget" system, so regardless of the source of your issue, it clearly needs to be looked at and improved.

As for this uh... "service department"... I wasn't able to determine if that was humor or not.  I use the same service department that Vadimuses uses.  Email me an issue, and I'll get back ASAP.  Note:  I have a full time job and a family.  I can't drop what I'm doing to reply to every bug report/skype message (never should have given out my skype name to people for support -_-).
  • ^ very reasonable response and post.