Martial Arts/MMA Thread

I can't go out for the Silva/Diaz fight tonight (assuming Diaz shows, dae lolDiaz? I like them and hate them all at once, it's tough) and I'm really jelly of anyone who does get to go out and see it live. I'll be watching a torrent by tomorrow afternoon, most likely. (Don't trip, I won't check the thread until afterward, 'cos of course there's a reasonable possibility that this will be a spoilerful thread and I'm not gonna pretend it shouldn't be. I'm an asshole but not that much of an asshole.)

In the meantime, I gotta say, I just started paying attention to Cowboy Cerrone these last few months, and as stoked as I am to see Diaz and Silva go at it, I would have loved to see Cowboy get the opportunity to make good on his tweet about showing up and fighting at 185. I know it was hyperbolic and not gonna happen but it's a fun thought to entertain. I think he would have had his ass handed to him by the oddly-more-chill-lately Silva (and I don't say that lightly and it's not how I'd want it to go, I swear), but it would be a damn good fight and he would enjoy doing it. I know it's a crazy mixing of the weight classes but I'd kill to see that fight one day.

How about that decision at the Cowboy/Henderson bout? I think Cowboy was almost as disappointed as Henderson on that one. Something was weird about the way he looked and talked after it was announced. I don't think either of them agreed with it. (Also, I think it's a shame that highlight reels of that don't show their hug at the start of round 3. That was awesome.)

Also, who all trains stuff? I spent some time doing Danzan-Ryu jiu jitsu and my sensei glued us firmly to the habit of doing a fair amount of simple American boxing reps for cardio/variety, and my SO did a little BJJ. We haven't been on the mat in a while and mostly climb/lift right now.
"Rebellion has to be part of the response to rigid social institutions, or stagnation is assured." - Greg Graffin
"Metal is a fusion of everything, covered in anger and dragons." - Jered M'F'ing Eide
"Every song written is a crisis of the soul solved." - His Realness Tony Cordisco, the Riffmaster

Comments

• BJJ, Judo, Krav Maga and standard MMA. I'm a Marine Corps Martial Arts instructor, which doesn't say a lot considering it's a complete different fighting style. Marine Corps Martial Arts focuses around combat utility in the field (Fighting with flak jacket, sapi plates, rifle, bayonet, knife combat) rather than gi or no-gi martial arts styles.

I enjoy watching MMA, but I've been out of it for some time focusing on work and other things. 

Muay Thai, imo, is by far the best sort of cardio I've ever used in  conjunction with my mat work. That and Krav Maga is one of the most versatile martial arts out there, the utility of which far outweighs that of BJJ and American boxing in my opinion, despite the fact that 80% of fights end up on the ground.
  • I did shotokan when I was a kid. In adulthood, I've mostly had a focus on Chinese and American Kenpo, but my instructor likes providing a history lesson/origin on where a technique started and ended up, so after drilling on something he'll touch on how it varies with similar techniques Kuntao, Kosho Shorei-Ryu Ken, Pentjak Silat and Aikido/Jiujitsu.

I love stuff that you can demonstrate to someone and they say 'this is not for making friends, is it?' and you get to explain "There's a motion here where we block like -this-, and the intent is for the person attacking you to impale their own eyes on your fingers"

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    My knee jerks when this subject comes up.
  • ^ Is that an excellent pun? Because that sounds like an excellent pun.
    "Rebellion has to be part of the response to rigid social institutions, or stagnation is assured." - Greg Graffin
    "Metal is a fusion of everything, covered in anger and dragons." - Jered M'F'ing Eide
    "Every song written is a crisis of the soul solved." - His Realness Tony Cordisco, the Riffmaster
  • 23 years of practice, all in all. 8 years full contact, 1 year Muay Thay, and all the rest in a sort of Aikijustu, chinese kung fu sort of thing (clearly a mix, but it is the best for my needs). It is very complete and I had now problem with sparring with anyone. I would love to see some techniques Kross is doing. And I can share any knowledge I have! There is also an esoteric part of what I am doing now. Fell free to ask.
    Light prevails, always
  • i train ufc, JUST BLEEEEEEED

have trained (boxing, bjj [blue belt], muay thai, mma), helped found the mma club at my old university, and fought in several smokers in boxing and mma.  fun to get odd looks for having a shiner in class and wearing sunglasses when walking around outside of it, even at night.  haven't trained in a year or so, now that i'm back home and working.

as far as following the sport, i follow mma a lot less than i used to but i can still catch a fair percentage of the main cards when i care to.  follow boxing fairly closely, probably care about it more than mma.

cowboy has been the shit since the wec days, his first fight with benson was fantastic and from what i remember, my initial impression was that cowboy should have won.  given that, sure the decision in their last fight was a little strange, but it's payback.  also for henderson getting the decision over edgar both times, thought he definitely deserved one of them...don't quite remember which one anymore.

it's a lot of fun seeing prospects become champions.  remember hearing about how jon jones could be really really good just before he joined the UFC, and look at him now, snorting coke like a real superstar.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • I do Kyokushin, but I'm still recovering from a knee surgery, so I haven't done anything this year. Hopefully I can start again in one or two weeks.

I'd love to get into grappling of some kind, for a more well-rounded experience, but right now I can't afford it, both time- and money-wise.
  • edited February 2015
    I never can wait to watch a Diaz brother fight (assuming they show up)

It's even more enjoyable every time they get their asses kicked too!

Next fight I can't wait to see is McGregor/Aldo. Kinda torn on it, McGregor has looked pretty amazing, but his level of competition has been a bit limited.  Too much hype, not enough fights.
  • @Iocun I did 3 months of Kyokushin while I was in NY. I loved the attitude, never appreciated the no punches to the face rule, but the guys where very tough and flexible. Nice experience there. 
    Light prevails, always
  • Shibumi said:
    @Iocun I did 3 months of Kyokushin while I was in NY. I loved the attitude, never appreciated the no punches to the face rule, but the guys where very tough and flexible. Nice experience there. 
    Yeah, the no-face-punches thing is certainly a limitation, but every martial art has to find its own way to cope with the issue of "realistic" conditions vs. keeping training injuries down. Some use only light contact, others use heavy gloves, others restrict the allowed target areas/techniques. We don't get punched in the face, but those liver shots hurt even more in return.

Would still definitely be worthwhile to crosstrain in a face-punching art!
  • Can't make a thread like this without throwing out proper tags:

@Denex @Aelios

• Tang Soo Do until the end of high school.
    I needed to stay in practice 6 months prior to the black belt test and things like tennis and theater got in the way, but for all intents and purposes I was a black belt.

Haven't practiced for years so I'm a very rusty black belt who isn't very flexible and gets winded after 60 seconds.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • edited February 2015
    Many years throughout my life of wrestling, Tae Kwon Do (useless except for flexibility), BJJ, Muay Thai, with a little Russian sambo, knife-fighting, Thai stick fighting (escrima sticks) and judo thrown in. Haven't done anything martial arts-wise except for sporadic grappling in the last 6-7 years though. Kind of miss them.
  • I've heard some really interesting stuff about sambo, but never known anyone who'd actually trained it. I had the opportunity once to learn some systema but wasn't nearly cool enough to actually decide to take it at the time.
  • It was interesting, but I only did it for about 6 months before my teacher moved. I didn't even seek it out - he happened to be a friend of a guy I was training BJJ with at the time and was visiting from the Ukraine. 
  • Has any of you ever tried Systema? Some things are interesting in there, other stuff is very strange. 
    Light prevails, always
  • Been fighting for 9 years, a lot of no-gi BJJ and American Boxing. 

The Diaz Silva fight was quite disappointing to watch. I was more bent out of shape watching Jones/Cormier.

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Was a state qualifier for wrestling for 3 years in HS, trained spordically in no gi, took sanshou for a year.  Now I just do yoga and kickboxing class for general fitness, where's the damn WTF button when I need it.
  • @Aelios, I finally got to watch it today. That was a really weird fight. I think Diaz was pretty terrified to fight Silva and reacted poorly to the fact because he didn't know what else to do. And daaaayymmnnn, I wonder what will happen with the title after that positive result ...
  • the title?  i mean, weidman's the champ...
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Tang-soo-do, judo for 9 years, was 3rd dan in Tang soo do but suffered an unrelated shoulder injury when i was 17 and haven't done martial arts since. I like to watch videos of shaolin monks defecting from their religions and beating the crap out of people on the martial arts circuits in asia with their super ridiculous skills.

Used to love the K1 grand prix, not so big on MMA/UFC, though it's not a big thing in europe generally.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Ellodin said:
    the title?  i mean, weidman's the champ...
    That's what I thought, but the Silva/Diaz fight was five rounds, so I figured there was some kind of interim-champion factor going on, like I assumed maybe Weidman was out for a while over something I didn't hear about. I've never seen a fight without a belt be five rounds and I don't see any reason they'd make an exception. But maybe it was just an exception because of it being such a huge deal of a fight. I don't knooooowww! I typically keep up on at least some blogs but life is nuts right now so I haven't been. I'm gonna Google it later when I'm not just on the forums to fuck around for five minutes.
  • MMANEWS.COM reports that Wiedman is injured and can't compete for a while.

Belfort was offered an interm title fight with Machida and turned it down. He said he will only take the fight if Wiedman is stripped of the belt.
  • most ufc main events these days are five rounds, buddy
  • Ellodin said:
    most ufc main events these days are five rounds, buddy
    I think every main event now is a 5 rounder, right?
  • some of the poop events like ultimate fighter finales aren't as well as some fights where there was a late replacement
  • Zengo said:
    Ellodin said:
    most ufc main events these days are five rounds, buddy
    I think every main event now is a 5 rounder, right?
    The fuck? When did that happen? o.O I mean, I've missed a lot during a break from following UFC as thoroughly from about four years ago to about a year ago, but that's something I would have figured I'd hear about somehow. Interesting. Weird how many subtle shifts happen as the sport gains popularity marketability.

Zengo said:
    This clears up a bit, too, thanks. 
  • Seriously, though, I don't know if I have a curse or what, but every time I Google stuff I get mistaken impressions or can't find anything relevant. I read mmajunkie but I'm gonna bookmark mmanews too and see if it's more useful to search within that site. Hell, for a few months at one point I thought GSP got kicked out of the UFC for getting caught with someone vaselining his back or chest or something, and my boyfriend and I are both positive we read some actual news about that, and then we turned out to be totally wrong and nobody ever since has known what we were talking about and I've wondered ever since where the hell we got the idea to begin with. I am just, like, not 1337 enough to be hip to MMA news, or something.