Hello

Hi. I'm a new Mhaldorian shaman. I hope I'm not being too arrogant using this as a way of introducing myself, but I haven't seen any thread or section more appropriate. I've been browsing the forums for a week, and it has been very helpful, so thank you all(no, I don't care about experience loss on death, don't hurt me). I'm a PvP lover, and I'm just figuring out the edges of the combat system here. Trying to figure out how to use swiftcurse was like banging my head against a wall. Luckily, I think I've figured that out.

Since I won't be able to get on for a little while, and I'm sure you guys have easy answers to these questions, I'm also going to use this as a chance to ask a couple questions.

1) I was in a raid for the first time, and I was randomly cursing the people called out in party chat with tzantza. Sadly, I didn't kill anyone before being killed in two seconds by Jui(I think that's it.). We had more than six people however. Why not have five people curse afflictions, and then instantly tzantza them? Or something like that. Couldn't you kill someone in one balance with that?

2) How poeple stop you from just walking out on them in a spar, and then moving away until you heal up?

3) I understand that there are balances for cures too. Herb balance is 1.5 seconds apparently. What are the others?

4) Is roleplay/emoting spontaneous here? Is there a way to start it? Or is it mostly just kept to says?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Nein said:
    Sadly, I didn't kill anyone before being killed in two seconds by Jui(I think that's it.).
    You encountered the Jhui. Don't worry, it happens to everybody eventually.

A couple of quick answers:

2) How poeple stop you from just walking out on them in a spar, and then moving away until you heal up?
    Depends on the class. Breaking your legs so you're prone is one example. You can also block exits (icewalls etc.) and so on.

4) Is roleplay/emoting spontaneous here? Is there a way to start it? Or is it mostly just kept to says?
    There's RPWHO, but not everybody puts themselves on it (it's often half a dozen Mhaldor citizens when I glance at it). You could try starting up something spontaneous, of course, but it depends on the person, the quality of the RP, and what said person is busy with at the time (if anything).

- (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Should you stay in Mhaldor? Naah.

Love these Mdor names.
  • Nein is pretty cool. Can attest.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Welcome to Achaea, Nein!
  • OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    Welcome, Nein :)

• edited February 2015
    Why not have five people curse afflictions, and then instantly tzantza them? Or something like that. Couldn't you kill someone in one balance with that?

Very well possible. Some of the biggest challenges with group combat is group structure, communication, planning, and execution. What may be a total logical plan in your mind is not always the easiest to communicate to 6 people in a 5-10 minute span, via text.

Everyone has some basic level hindrances available. Web tattoos, weaponry skills to shatter limbs, or class skills that may may replicate the above or provide new tactics.

3) I understand that there are balances for cures too. Herb balance is 1.5 seconds apparently. What are the others?
    I can not accurately answer this. I think salve is the same, but I do not remember. Sorry.

Roleplay is pretty persistent through most forms of communication. If you have to go OOC, the standard etiquette is to privately advise someone that you have a question that will not be within the normal bounds and ask if it is okay to continue. I.E. tell sarapis //Hey man, I have an OOC question about your dog. Is that okay?

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Hi Nein!

I remember you asking me a few questions that unfortunately I struggled a bit with because the new shaman is a strange and unwieldy beast. I definitely need to sit down with a couple different people and just learn the basics of how a few changed classes work now. That said, lets see if I can help you out a bit here.

1) For tzantza, we have actually used this ability before in certain circumstances. One of the reasons we haven't used it around you yet is just because we aren't used to having a shaman around on a consistent basis. You're new to our group, and we don't place those kinds of expectations (OKAY WE'RE DOING THIS YOU NEED TO GET THIS KILL NOW) on our newer members. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe this is an instant-killing ability and still requires a bit of time. Whe you start it, anyone with a decent system will notice, including the enemies, and they'll just focus on you instead and kill you outright. There's a lot of factors going in here. However, absolutely feel free to keep puzzling out ideas and ask questions IC. Xer, Hasar, Xinna, and Kuy can all give you fantastic answers on what may or may not work in a given situation, especially when dealing with group combat. Puzzling out ideas is how you learn!

2) Don't take this as the bible truth, since like I mentioned, I've never been a shaman, but from what I recall, one of the major things you have to use is your doll. With enough fashions, you can mangle their legs, for instance, and then make them sleep, which, they'll wake up, but they'll be prone and unable to get away for a time amount of time while they cure. There's probably other methods, and might be even better ones (tagging @Kuy here, he's the most recent mdor shaman I can think of) to use as well.

3) There are a ton of balances that you'll get used to. Eating a plant/mineral is one balance, sipping health/mana is another balance, applying salves (like mending or restoration) is another, tree tattoo, and so on. You'll be able to begin learning how to combine certain abilities with others to get the most out of your balance/equilibrium, and also how to 'stack' afflictions. Managing your doll and using that to aide you will be a big deal too.

4) That's completely up to whomever you're talking to. If we're in the middle of a raid in Mhaldor, I wouldn't expect to see much emotes. Some players will use them more than others. I'm a great fan of them (though I don't -always- use them, and sometimes I get busy), and I know there's many more who are. For any kind of roleplay period, don't be afraid to initiate it, and in many instances, it should be returned, especially if you remain consistently around and are learning/growing/eventually contributing back.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Achaea and Mhaldor both! We look forward to seeing you settle in and have a good time with us. :)
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    If you enjoy roleplaying religious fanaticism, you're in for a treat. There's a bunch of us.
  • edited February 2015
    Welcome!
    Damnit @Herenicus, you're going to make me want to turn all of our interactions in Mhaldor into a musical. :(
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Melodie said:
    Damnit @Herenicus, you're going to make me want to turn all of our interactions in Mhaldor into a musical. :(
    Don't you wish that evil on us.

Kresslack said:
    Melodie said:
    Don't you wish that evil on us.
    Truth Two, Kresslack. Truth Two.
  • Nein said:
    This is a more complex question that it might seem.

The first, pretty important point is that it is generally assumed that you will remain in-character at all times. Some people are better about this than others, but everyone is expected to at least make it look like they're trying.

If you want to say something out-of-character or ask an out-of-character question, there are two main ways people deal with this:

1. The playerbase has developed a lot of in-character terminology to refer to out-of-character things. This is why you see people talking about triggers and aliases as "reflexes" for instance.

2. Use tells (for multiple people, form a party) and preface them somehow (either by making clear that the whole conversation will be OOC as in "tell Tael Hey, I have an OOC question." or by prefacing the tells themselves like "tell Tael OOC: Hey, I have a question." - you can pretty easily make an alias for the latter too, I have one that lets me just write "ooc Tael I have a question" and it comes out like the second example).

As for more intense roleplaying with more emotes and things like that, you have to find people who are interested in it. RPWHO is a great, though underutilised resource. Beyond that, be active and look for people to roleplay with. And, this cannot be overstated, initiate roleplay with those people. A lot of people who want to get more into RP have trouble because, even if they seek out people with a reputation for good RP, they expect the other people to do all the work getting it started. Find people who are interested in roleplaying and think up excuses to interact with them and for them to interact with you.

Good luck!
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Careful now, @Kresslack. As I recall, Gilbert and Sullivan have a lot to say on the subject of pirate roleplay.
  • Thanks everyone. Herenicus, I was lucky enough to see that show on broadway, and I have to say that my favorite song is 'I am Africa'. Hilarious.
  • D: Nein, you're more than welcome to rp with me at any time, more than happy to emote with you rather than just jab at you. :)
    Lord Marshal Hasar Lichlord's words quietly thrum through the air as he says, "No one panick." #2015PEACEthedream!