Bashing Areas

Comments

• It's nice to see a comprehensive list like this.  A lot of people seem to know and are willing to share info (and help tweak this list), but this is consolidated.  
  • Agree that there are a few places missing here (Valho coast was the first one I noticed too). I'm not sure Genji is 60-80 either. Manticores maybe..if you're counting that as part of Genji...but otherwise Genji itself is much lower. I guess I'm saying that I agree that manticores need their own area name.

I think a list like this, if made available to the entire playerbase, should also breakout or designate areas that are clearly PK zones and those that may be for a certain level but obviously require group bashing (the Fissure comes to mind, the newest area of lower Azdun, maybe Falaq'tor?). 
  • CaoimhaenCaoimhaen Targossas
    edited February 2015
    @Sarapis Annwyn isn't 100 plus...at least..Not the forest, lake, mud people(can't remember the name) and Sidhe. As level 81 I can handle it with runes(and without, but I gotta be more careful) as long as I dont do certain rooms with a Sidhe knight and Lady one. Insidhe might be 90-100. Are we taking people, without artefacts? Because I see Annwyn as a plausible area for me  hunt and do just fine.

• Shirszae said:
    Mathonwy said:
    Kayeil said:
    To be honest, I'd only give hunting area recommendations up to a certain level. From there they should know enough about exploring and hunting tactics to figure it out after that. Holding their hand up to dragon just doesn't seem to make much sense.
    ('exploring,' in this case, meaning 'vadimapper')
    Er, not really? Exploring is exploring, and figuring things about the area you are in for yourself. Sure, you can use vadimapper, but I'd argue that comes afterwards, when you actually know the ins and out of an area.
    There might be people who actually figure out where locations are before they just goto wherever, but in a world of crowdsourced mapping, 'figure it out on your own' isn't really a valid reason for withholding that kind of info.
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • edited February 2015
    Just from the ones I remember towards the end, I'd break these ones up into:

Area                                Bracket
    -------------------------------------------
    the Azdun Catacombs graveyard       80-100
    the Azdun Catacombs sub-graveyard   90-100+
    Tir Murann                          90-100+
    the Underworld undead               80-100
    the Underworld deathknights         100+
    Annwyn animals                      80-100
    Annwyn sidhe                        90-100+
    Annwyn unsidhe                      95-100+

As a general guide. Obviously everything can be done earlier with tactics/arties/etc.

Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Jarrod said:
    Just from the ones I remember towards the end, I'd break these ones up into:

Area                                Bracket
    -------------------------------------------
    the Azdun Catacombs graveyard       80-100
    the Azdun Catacombs sub-graveyard   90-100+
    Tir Murann                          90-100+
    the Underworld undead               80-100
    the Underworld deathknights         100+
    Annwyn animals                      80-100
    Annwyn sidhe                        90-100+
    Annwyn unsidhe                      95-100+

As a general guide. Obviously everything can be done earlier with tactics/arties/etc.

if i recall that new area now has slug upgraded to a dangerous and a smelly slug. so i would put it somewhere closer 90 to 100 here. often you would like to bring other person with you to clear that zone. bah. I feel like it's 99+ for that part of the catacombs.

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • When I say sub-graveyard I mean with the phantasms and stuff, not the new  Dominar area.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Jarrod said:
    When I say sub-graveyard I mean with the phantasms and stuff, not the new  Dominar area.
    Ah okay. 

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains
    This may be the most informative thread I've ever seen. As in, I've been avoiding some of these areas for particularly no reason...and here I am trying to grind my way to dragon. Thanks @Sarapis!

• edited February 2015
    I was surprised to see Tenwat listed at 100+ I know I'm a beefcake, but that seems off. Most of the other 'wrong' ones were already mentioned.

Also, I must point out that I dislike this thread. Help 12 is all you need.
  • edited February 2015
    Tenwat is definitely 100+

You're not going to just cruise through Tenwat without either dform or an artied/tanky class. It's pretty trivial in dform but if you're just an average person with 5k health, you're not gonna make it without some trouble. I'm a level 107 Serpent with SoA, level 2 regen ring, level 3 sip ring, and 5000 health, and I'd have to run a lot to do it in lesser.

• Wat.

Lv 85 SnB paladin, with only an SOA. Not even trans'd avoidance, and I breeze through it... Did the same on Bard, Sylvan, Priest - all with no artifacts, no avoidance, Magi (this was horkval, with trans avoidance, no SOA)... All sub 5k health, except for Sylvan :/

Tenwat is easy mode, if you glance before running into rooms.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I had no issue pre-Dragon with Tenwat, and I wasn't artied for hunting.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Cynlael said:
    Wat.

Lv 85 SnB paladin, with only an SOA. Not even trans'd avoidance, and I breeze through it... Did the same on Bard, Sylvan, Priest - all with no artifacts, no avoidance, Magi (this was horkval, with trans avoidance, no SOA)... All sub 5k health, except for Sylvan :/

Tenwat is easy mode, if you glance before running into rooms.
    An unartied Human Serpent specced for Dex will (typically) have 11 constitution. At level 85, it will have 3445 health. At level 99, 3963.

Take a look at most other classes that typically have at least 13 con, usually 14 because that's where people like to race spec, Which ends up being 4210 health. That's a huge difference in buffer, and means a lot more hit-and-run.

Your level 85 SnB Paladin probably has at least 15 con (racial spec Con, weathering), maybe 16 (add in the trait) depending on how you spec. At 85, that's 4465 or 4720 health, at least 1k more health than a serpent at that level, and still a lot more than a level 99 lesserform serpent.

I'm not saying that Santar shouldn't be able to tank Tenwat easily with his levels and artefacts. I'm just saying, Tenwat is not easy mode, and you should take level recommendations, even your own, with a healthy dash of salt.
  • I think we should also acknowledge that there are different levels of skill in bashing much like combat regardless of class and artefacts. @Kayeil and @Cynlael, what I gathered from conversations about do and bashing and dragon floating around the forums that you are rather high up on the PvE spectrum.

The average joe isn't going to have the strategies (or code?) in place to match you guys toe to toe and I think that's what we are aiming to document: Suggested bashing places for your average joe at so and so level.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Strategy maybe, but I'm definitely lacking the code. I didn't even have a curing system until after Logosian, and used a very old, "broken" version of omnipave with a lot of bugs from that point until pretty far into dragon. I only got SVO because Seragorn was tired of testing on me with my buggy healing. A lot of my hunting is still pretty manual, I can't really script anything and the more engaged I am in the PvE stuff the less likely I am to get bored or fall asleep.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• KezKez
    edited February 2015
    Where I usually send people:

1-20: Minia
    20-40: Manara
    30-50: Muurn, Ulangi
    40-50: Polyargos, Manticores (upper)
    50-70: Kamleikan, Aran'riod, Vashnars west of Moghedu, Valho, Dun animals
    60-80: Vashnars south of Moghedu, Minos, Frozen Tundra, Nuskuwe, Isaia, Hriddan, Sealion Cove
    80+ Zaphar, Zanzibaar, Moghedu, Aalen
    85+ LHG, Tenwat, Deep Sea Diving

Lots of islands would be great pre-80 but probably don't have a reliable means of reaching them yet.

Sentients are made a lot harder by village feelings, so I tend to consider those a lot harder than they should be. It's one thing to know a room is going to pounce you when you hit one of them, but something else to know that hunting them will turn the whole town aggro the next time they see you, especially with wandering things.

Any area with lots of aggro/roaming/afflictions (like lower azdun) is probably too much risk/work/cost for the reward if you're trying to reach 80, so I tend not to consider them either.

Some areas are offset by the path to reach them. I think Dun Valley is probably a great area for people leaving Minia, but with the aggro mountain lions in the Vashnars, they'd never make it there alive. Sealion cove might be able to go lower than I listed it, but there are aggressive bears to get through before you reach it.

I would definitely say 40 is too late to send someone to any part of Manara. I consider the bottom level to be 20-40, not the top. People keep saying 40+ and I have no idea why. I've done this on clothy newbies and been just fine.

Yes, I have way too many opinions on hunting.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Manara is absolutely great experience up to the 70's

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Manara's worthwhile from around 30-80, yeah. Vashnars aren't too bad to walk through, if you're careful. Only one of the bears is aggressive, and you can always squint/glance to avoid walking into them. Similarly for the Northern Vashnars, mountain lions can hurt, but they're not going to oneshot anyone who can handle the animals in Dun Valley. 
  • Should still leave manara asap. Otherwise you're taking it away from people who can't do the harder areas that you can.
  • "I don't think you should hunt there above 40" is different from "I don't know why you would", though. 
  • No that was saying I don't know why you'd call it a 40-60 area.
  • Lower level manara can definitely be upwards of 40. 
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Because it is good experience for those levels. And frankly, I am not entirely sure I agree with your logic. Why would someone willingly go to a harder place when an easier one serves just as well? People bash to earn exp, not to put themselves into needless risk of dying.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• When I was on a road trip and I only had my cellphone, I literally used CURING ON and made a few simple reflexes on the BlowTorch client and had keybinds for '
    Walk to Manara' and 'Walk to Minia'
    'Show XP'
    'Movement Compass - Including in/out up/down'
    'Kill Gnoll'

This is all I had and I think I did Manara from level 21 up to level 65. On my cellphone. I really had no idea where else to hunt and I was gaining great amounts of exp from the soldiers, it also helps to know that they respawn on a 30 minute timer so if it's like the dead of night and no one was on, I was gaining a solid two levels per day if I wasn't lazy or uninspired to risk losing connection during the whole 12 hour car ride.
  • I was starting to think I was the only Hashani to level by hunting Manara and Tasur'ke to 70!
  • JeslynJeslyn United States
    edited February 2015
    Ha... there are quite a few midlevel 60-70 Ashtani/Eleusian/Hashani players that I see hunting Manara, mainly the lower and then they tackle the wyrms. It's like the hunting grounds that no one likes to admit hunting, but everyone does it anyways. I did it all the way up to 70 mostly because I was gaining an easy 20%-30% exp every respawn and I was lazy as shit leveling on my phone at work. 
  • AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited February 2015
    Jeslyn said:
    Ha... there are quite a few midlevel 60-70 Ashtani/Eleusian/Hashani players that I see hunting Manara, mainly the lower and then they tackle the wyrms. It's like the hunting grounds that no one likes to admit hunting, but everyone does it anyways. I did it all the way up to 70 mostly because I was gaining an easy 20%-30% exp every respawn and I was lazy as shit leveling on my phone at work. 
    We need more Manara's, MANARA FOR EVERYONE!!!

Edit: The Gnolls must rise up and make outposts so we can bash their faces in even more!
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    My shaman got an SoA at around level 7 and spent a day in Manara and left at around level 60.  Given how good the experience is there between the upper and lower levels, and how plentiful the mobs are, didn't see the need to leave.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited February 2015
    Achimrst said:
    Jeslyn said:
    Edit: The Gnolls must rise up and make outposts so we can bash their faces in even more!
    Make it an event! Hordes and hordes of gnolls swarming down from the Granite Hills into the Ithmias and elsewhere, retribution for the centuries of adventurers waltzing in and butchering their population and seeking slaves to replace or complement the Mingruk. Let the newbies bash them, and if they can keep the gnoll numbers down, then they get some sort of reward. And to keep it for the lower-level players, nobody over, say, level ~65 gains XP from killing them.

Or not, I guess. But really, Manara is a fantastic place if gaining XP is your goal. Terrible gold generation, on the other hand.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."