Names

Comments

• I always thought "Sorrow" or something of the sort would be an interesting name for a roleplaying game but did not want to try and use just that. So I changed to spelling to "Saurro" which just felt like something was missing. At the time, I was working on a lab report in which we worked with ferrocene, so I just borrowed the suffix.
  • SharaShara Midlands
    I took one letter off my main's name because I'm a creative genius.

My first mentor was @Jonesey so that pretty much explains it. ;)
  • SethSeth North Carolina
    RL name was already taken, thanks @Trey. So I went with Seth because I liked the name.
  • You're welcome. To be fair I've played Trey for twelve or thirteen years now.

• Got mine from Warhammer Fantasy Battle. "Sarathai" is one of the runes in the High Elf language.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• SethSeth North Carolina
    Trey said:
    You're welcome. To be fair I've played Trey for twelve or thirteen years now.

I've played Seth for just as long. You beat me by 5 achaean years for the name, so a couple months before me? Oh well, it's worked out!
  • I didn't know much of anything about alchemists but I knew there was something about astronomy, so I picked Chandra, but I have a K-theme going with my character names, so I changed the Ch to K and wound up with Kandra.
  • @Kandra, so you aren't a grown up version of a mist wraith who consumes corpses for body parts?
  • Seth said:
    RL name was already taken, thanks @Trey. So I went with Seth because I liked the name.
    GEE I WONDER WHY I PICKED MY NAME?! :P
  • @Lorielan said:
    Kandra, so you aren't a grown up version of a mist wraith who consumes corpses for body parts?
    Wh... what?
  • Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series features a race called the Kandra.
  • Is it worth reading? Gotta say I don't hate the naming convention. :wink: 
  • @Kandra, it is well worth the read!
  • SarienoSarieno Spokane, WA
    Sarieno was an evolution of sorts. When I was younger I had a maniacal obsession with Reno from FF7. When I played imperian my two characters were Aileron (Saboteurs, Kinsarmar /long ass time ago) and Rieno ( Antioch). When I quit Imperian I ended up making a portmanteau. Airieno didn't seem right so I ended up being SAboteur RIENO. Ends up its an italian last name and archaic verb, but I digress.

twitter - @spacemanreno
  • Kandra said:
    Is it worth reading? Gotta say I don't hate the naming convention. :wink: 
    He really likes the letter K. Kandra, Kelsier (a key character in the Mistborn series), Kaladin (a key character in the Stormlight Archive series [Which he needs to write some more of])... there are probably a few more, as well.
  • ValentinusValentinus Los Angeles, CA
    I got Valentinus from Basilius Valentinus, who was an alleged 15th century alchemist credited for authoring the Twelve Keys.  The name Valentinus means "strong, vigorous, healthy", of which only two of those can be said to describe him at this time.  :( 

I take commissions.
  • I honestly can't recall if I posted here before, but Trevize is actually a last name from one of my favorite Asimov series.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Mehitabel is from archy & mehitabel, an old comic about a cockroach and a cat and their antics. It's pretty good reading. Also the name Mehitabel is an Old Testament name meaning "God rejoices." At least according to Wikipedia.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Austere: I didn't originally know what it meant, or that half the rooms in achaea use it in the room description. I made the character real late one night and saw it on a book spine [series of unfortunate events] on my book shelf and just went with it.  Honestly, it probably should have been flagged for a name change from the get go. Would change if I could, but a bit late for that I guess.  Bonus: I assume everything that has Austere in the description belongs to me, including all your robes.
  • I was playing in a vampire requiem game at the time I created myself, Khaibit is a bloodline from that, and I was playing one and thought it was an awesome thing for a name.  It's also part of the Egyptian mythology in regards to the soul

• Vesios sounded cool. :|
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    edited January 2015
    Vesios said:
    Vesios sounded cool. :|
    You mean to say that Versions was not permitted so you removed a few letters, right @Vesios‌ ?
  • About 2 months before I started playing, I was running a tabletop RPG for my friends. The game revolved around discovering the fate of a centuries-dead ruler named Mazel Wan, and eventually defeating the ghost he had become. Over the course of the game, the players discovered that Mazel Wan's soul, and the souls of his four closest advisors, had split in half. The final bosses of the run were the ghosts of half their souls, and the PCs were the reincarnations of the other halves. Between the mysteries, the oddly symmetrical fights, and the flashback dreams, my friends said it was the best run they'd played in years. When it came time to make a character here, Mazel held a special place for me, so I went with it.

As for where Mazel Wan came from in the original game...when I make up names, I just start speaking gibberish aloud until I come up with something I like.
  • Mazel said:
    About 2 months before I started playing, I was running a tabletop RPG for my friends. The game revolved around discovering the fate of a centuries-dead ruler named Mazel Wan, and eventually defeating the ghost he had become. Over the course of the game, the players discovered that Mazel Wan's soul, and the souls of his four closest advisors, had split in half. The final bosses of the run were the ghosts of half their souls, and the PCs were the reincarnations of the other halves. Between the mysteries, the oddly symmetrical fights, and the flashback dreams, my friends said it was the best run they'd played in years. When it came time to make a character here, Mazel held a special place for me, so I went with it.

As for where Mazel Wan came from in the original game...when I make up names, I just start speaking gibberish aloud until I come up with something I like.
    That actually does sound like an amazing game...

• Well, Kensei is the Japanese word used for a sword saint as I am sure most people already know around here. But that is not the real name of this character, rather it is something that emerged from his background, a title he aspires to be worthy of, some day...  :/
  • Aaaand as long as we're talking about Japanese, 葛城 was the name of a Japanese aircraft carrier, which was in turn named after a mountain that's known for having proliferating flowers.
    I have 150 Lusternian credits that I'll trade over for Achaean ones. Let me know if you're interested!
  • Sarathai said:
    Got mine from Warhammer Fantasy Battle. "Sarathai" is one of the runes in the High Elf language.
    similar how i got my name from. 'Valar' is a word in Quenya language in which means 'god' or 'angel'. and 'ia' at the end of the name is just to make it more female sounding name.... or something like that. Valaria.

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • I wanted to do Razzmatazz, then thought no one would ever take me seriously...but I am starting to think Razzlo isn't much better. A name is a name though.
  • Razzlo said:
    I wanted to do Razzmatazz, then thought no one would ever take me seriously...but I am starting to think Razzlo isn't much better. A name is a name though.
    I actually think your name is great! It has a lot of personality, but it isn't too "out there," and I never confuse you with anyone else.

Suvaad was originally conceived of as a fan character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, specifically an inhabitant of Vanaheim. He was at first themed after a specific character from Norse mythology, Svaðilfari. (Yes, that one. Yes, I'm serious.)

After a while, though, he became very much his own character, and I found a way to alter the original name that better suited the "fantasy Arabic" culture I had placed him in. "Suvaad" is a meaningless name derived from the first syllable of the mythological name, while his surname "Al'faris" means "the knight," or more literally (and appropriately) "the horseman," in Arabic.

Needless to say, the version of this character that appears in Achaea is extremely far removed from what he started as. Except for the hooves.

• Kitiara is from one of my favorite book series: Dragonlance. She's my second favorite character in the book, my first being Raistlin however I didnt want to cross-play :)
    "Kit always gets blood everywhere."
    Medi says, "If kit says to show up somewhere, bring an apron."
    Medi says, "Rule of thumb."