Anonymous attacks

So, something very disturbing has come up that makes me wonder if there should be a way to determine who is attacking you when the line is anonymous.

For instance, a serpent has recently decided to use issues as a means of attack.  They are pretty consistently getting close to fights, but there is no way to know whether he is really the one attacking, so it's generally not worth attacking him, because it's quite clear what the outcome will be.  In addition, someone can blackwind choke/snipe/etc while someone is bashing and there's really no way to know who it was for retaliation unless they get killed, so once again issues come into play.

Now, I trust the playerbase and the admin enough to understand the differences in these situations, but a player still has to use a lot of caution when 'guessing' who attacked them.

Why not add a long balance or eq ability to inspect the last anonymous attack done on your character to know who it was.  This could avoid a lot of trouble in the future.

Comments

• You're seeing things Kross. Jhui just confused about who is attacking him. 
  • edited January 2015
    Ironically this "problem" is an intended feature.  Funny how nothing other than a shift in attitudes turns something that used to be an awesome RP mechanic into a way to abuse issues.

Back in the day, a serpent could completely kill someone without them ever finding out (Snipe, Slit, Noose), even after deathsight if they used slit and killed with bleeding.  This was, quite literally, the only purpose for Slit even existing.  Snipe was also specifically designed to not show who is doing the shooting, as a part of Serpent's suite of "assassin" abilities.  The assumption, as it should be, is that people will only snipe people they are legally supposed to be sniping.

There are always going to be the Manus, Santars, Ovids, out there, gaming the rules, no matter how specific they get.  They're the guys that're giving you puppet recklessness 48 hours after they made the doll while you're bashing and claiming they still have cause because you died to an NPC, or summoning you into a killroom to get full fashioned before killed by someone else, allowing them to still have "cause for 1 kill" and repeat the loop indefinitely.

This seems like a plain-old case of using an Issue Me to inform the game admin that there's a problem, or asking a simple question like "Hey someone just sniped me and I think it was so-and-so, but don't want to violate PK rules so could you please confirm it was him?"

That or... Castigate them on the forums without even knowing if you're correct.
  • Ernam said:

That or... Castigate them on the forums without even knowing if you're correct.
    I considered doing this, but thought better of it.
  • edited January 2015
    Herenicus currently in the lead for "best post of 2015".

Edit: to stay on topic, I like seeing anonymous deathsights, it's an interesting aspect of the game and piques my interest at times. Adds roleplay value too, in the "who was this bastard and how can I mount his head on my wall" kind of way. 
  • bumping this so it'll be at the top for everyone to closely read.  Don't want ideas to get lost, ya know.
  • Illumnatty.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    edited January 2015

Issue shaming is still issuing shaming, sir. And your protests are even less seemly given that you are complaining about not dying. Anonymous attacks are fine within reason; this would eliminate them altogether. If you want to roll the dice in your frustration over not dying and risk parking Jhui in a dirt lot, that's your call.

• Herenicus said:

Issue shaming is still issuing shaming, sir. And your protests are even less seemly given that you are complaining about not dying. Anonymous attacks are fine. If you want to roll the dice in frustration and park Jhui in a dirt lot, that's your call.

let's stay on topic
    edited January 2015
    plz close thread @Sarapis
  • yeah WondEring whoSe Attack it Was musT be annOying, bUt you Can't Help it, it'S just How It goEs when you've got assassin-esque cLasses to Deal with, i think.
    Given that Jhui's no longer the rich 12 year old he was when he started playing, this kind of behaviour is disappointing. 
  • And given that you're a (I assume) thirty-something man, badgering him as if you were still twelve, your behaviour is disappointing. So what if the aformentioned person issued on BS and Jhui called it out? It'd be the same if you did it, or if Hasar, or Aegoth, or ANYONE in Mhaldor did it. You have this weird hardon for hating Jhui, and I don't get it, Abroham Lincoln. Take a chill pill, and just use Daier's fancy script to ignore the man's posts or something, move on.
    No u
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    edited January 2015
    Jhui is starting to remind me of me from when i had friends and pk'd. At least you dont have to deal with Marjoline or the wicked witch of the east. you gotta take those issues like a man and use your beefy elbows to win Anytus' heart, and only then can you win Achaea. Also Propose to your wife again and get level 2 married so you can be Jhui irl too. 

Issues should really only actually hit you if its like Ovid level, kill Bleak down to level 90 nonsense. Obv some people need to understand that losing should be a big deal IC but not OOC. Person in question just needs some attentive love and care and a nice long dcup of tea. Anonymous attacks are frustrating but if person X is in a place where fight happens often and does not like being involved, maybe he should consider carefully and reflect on his role in life a bit more deeply, and whether he would have more fun not putting himself in places he doesn't like.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Herenicus said:
    Given that Jhui's no longer the rich 12 year old he was when he started playing, this kind of behaviour is disappointing. 
    I wasn't rich, how rude.

Forming ideas is disappointing?  How is that a behavior?

Anywho, back on topic.  No need to derail Herenicus.
  • Wow, everyone is going way off topic.  This doesn't make any sense.
    Eager willingness to play with the Jhuice the way Jhuice wants to play shouldn't be a prerequisite to joining Mhaldor.
    A large portion  of players seem to log in to do mundane things for random people too so why not Jhui too? @Herenicus

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    to be fair, @Jhui has a good point on the anonymous attacks. Just imagine you're simply out hunting, a blackwinded person chokes you just low enough for the denizen to kill you on the next blow (or other such anonymous abilities). If that person doesn't come out and start bragging about it or whatever, you wouldn't even know who did it. You wouldn't know who to hire on, who to retaliate on.
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

Mark bashing is tricky 
    Blackwind choke shouldnt be anonymous. Though i will have to test that. I guess its cool flavour for an ability that can be higlighted, identified and prevented easily. And then you can go out of your way to collect that revenge achievement.quite impressed someone would attempt it actually, but it shouldnt be anonymous.

-

As drawn by Shayde
    Man my.posts.are so incoherent from my  Sleep. What i meant to say is that anonymous attacks should be flavour for legit assassination attempts. I dont see how bwind choke can be an assassination tool considering how bad it can be so it should really not be anonymous.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Sounds like issues are the problem there op
    Jovolo said:
    Sounds like issues are thproblem there op
    anonymous attacks being annoying in raids when you need to count your cause seems like a major concern that he might have accidentally brought up and we should discuss it. I think Dracen brought that up.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Honestly, if someone is acting that way, then they should just punish the player, not nerf the ability.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

He could just stick to lollin the littles during the raid in question and brush the small stuff from his shoulders. What would Jhusus do?
  • Herenicus said:
    He could just stick to lollin the littles during the raid in question and brush the small stuff from his shoulders. What would Jhusus do?
    I'm not sure your information is up to date
    I just hate issuing shaming, man. 
This discussion has been closed.