Wine, Beer, & Spirits Appreciation Thread

I sought a bit but did not find, so I made. Figured we could un-hijack the Player Pics thread and have some fun talk over here. :)

I posted at length on a forum elsewhere once about going to GABF last year, so here are some lazily pasted-in highlights from that to get us rolling or something. :P 

(I had bolded the major brewery/beer mentions to make recommendations easier to find, didn't bold anything that was just named for reference though.)

Our first stop was Lagunitas, because mother****ing Lagunitas. I tried their Daytime for the first time since I was pacing myself with session beers at first, and it was very enjoyable and exactly what I expected from a Lagunitas lightened-up session ale.

Our most frequent theme, particularly of things we tried in common, was reds, and wish I'd written down more ... I had many more than just one impressive red, although for the first time in my limited experience, I found quite a few examples of reds that fell flat in the middle like some boring browns do. We both really loved the Elysian 7.7% The Good, the Bad, and the Red is what it was called, but as of writing I can't find it on their website to find out more info ... I'm wondering if it was some test-level new release or something. 

Sierra Nevada -- f**k yeah Sierra Nevada. I had no idea until this festival that they really produced such a variety of things, and I wish I'd tried more. They had a beer I really liked and that J really hated (it had the "soy sauce" quality for him like some dark IPAs do for me, I think it must be some particular kind of malt that does that) called Walk in the Woods, which was a scotch ale/porter blend. (I also didn't know that he's had a pukey experience with a scotch ale in the past, whoops.) It was insane, this beer was something I would never be able to handle a whole bottle of but it was delicious for a crazy single shot. It tasted like burnt pumpernickel toast with a shot of a very bourbony bourbon and a lot of wood fire afterward. It inspired me to want to try, someday, the probably-insane idea of a reverse drop shot -- finding a very delicate bourbon (like Breckenridge or something) and flavoring it with a shot of this beer, or just generally mixing it. Am I nuts? I dunno. Also their stout, Narwahl, was a learning experience for me -- I used to live in stout world, and now it's overpowering for me as I've graduated to pale ales and their kin. Weird how tastes change over time as vocabulary and experience grows.

Stone's new coffee milk stout is amazing, their booth was cool too, it looked like a real bar, the aesthetic of the whole thing had that cool ironwork look like their graphics, and each of their pitchers was a lot like their bottles with those baked-on designs. I just got the coffee milk stout and boogied out of the way of the pressing mass (REALLY popular booth); J got the Anniversary because he's a major Stone fan and it'll never be made again. He said it's incredible, and he thought the Enjoy By 10/31 was good but honestly lackluster compared to the other Enjoy Bys that he's had (the 4/20 from a couple of years and I think this year2014's 7/10).

I had the Deschutes River Ale for the first time, hard time remembering enough to describe it in detail (there was something unique about the hops profile), but it did exactly what I wanted a pale ale to do except I remember it being even a little extra refreshing in the beginning and a little extra hoppy at the end, like Dale's Pale Ale but a milder version. It was the tastiest, straightforward "tastes like beer but refreshes like water, let's go camping with it" beer I think I've had.

We heard about 180 Shilling from O'Dell's before going, but we didn't see any sign of it at their booths. I wasn't especially concerned because someone on Reddit had said that it had reminded them of barleywine (yuck -- how could it be remotely related to 90 Shilling?) so I got some familiar ol' 5 Barrel on tasty on-tap principle, but yeah, apparently 180 Shilling is special or something. I don't know anything about it. I didn't see it or try any, despite the internet being full of chatter about how it would likely be there. :P I have heard, though, that if you like its sort of family, you will really like it. I can't say I've ever seen O'Dell's screw anything up.

We're both big fans of Magic Hat ... Their limited variation on #9 (the not-quite-pale-ale) is interesting, "Hi 9", it's called. It was more bold than I expected from how chill #9 is, had that edgy back end like a real IPA almost. Reminds me of the flavor of #9 but with some Full Sail IPA thrown in and some different hop flavors.

Since J is from Port Jefferson, Long Island, we saw Port Jeff brewing company and had to go try it on principle. They had a Schooner Ale that was very tasty in a nice relaxed way, and their tripel tastes like a hefeweizen but without that coppery quality. 

(Some stuff about realizing I could taste, with reasonable certainty, that "This doesn't taste like a brown ale ... is this a lager?" which was exciting because I'm fairly new to all this, really ... and then karaoke and stuff)

... We bantered with one dude who insisted I try a sour ... "Try it," he said ... "It's the smoothest sour you'll ever taste, though, I don't like them either!" he said ... I wouldn't have, but I said "I feel like I'm being dared" and he said "You are!" so I had no choice! And F**KING UGH, I made the WORST sour face, lol, only beer I truly hated all day! But, to be fair, it was the least disgusting sour I'd ever had, to which the dude lol'd. So, proof has been proven, I hate sours.

Anyway, that dude sent us to the next booth over to try some delicious things before last pour. We tried two by Nanthala Brewing, their Noon Day IPA (delicious session IPA and exactly the light tasty pale-ale-like IPA that everyone wants a light IPA to be, oh my, it was so good -- that dude totally called it when he suggested that to us) and their Bryson City Brown had all the character a good non-boring brown should. The Bryson City guy teased that we needed to come visit North Carolina because everyone is so laid back, and apparently they're in a chill area with tons of breweries and good climbing (always a priority for us), so I told him "See you in a few years" and hopefully someday I'll be telling you about a brewery vacation there.

(... Then I told a story about dropping my commemorative tasting glass RIGHT as the brewfest ended (everyone only gets one, and only attendees to the Brewers' Session of the festival each year get real glass ones), and I totally started crying because I'm sentimental and sh*t and GABF is a special thing for us, but A WILD HERO APPEARED (some brewer dude) and totally gave me an extra and made my day.)

And that's about it for my GABF tale.

Anyone else into brewfests? I'd never been to any but have been to GABF two years in a row now and love it. I'd love more stories, and recommendations. J and I are planning to move to Germany at some point within the next year or so (ish) and might get to travel around the States a little in the meantime, so we're interested in fests in both countries and other countries near Germany as well. (We're interested in any info about the German beer scene, really -- especially since we're more into English and American styles so far than German ones, and we're wondering if we'll have to resign to retraining our tastes altogether when we move! We're not really that into Belgians and wheats and pilsners, but we can learn if we need to. :P )

For the record, I still haven't tried a reverse drop shot with Walk in the Woods. I'm serious though, I'd chase that beer with bourbon before I'd do the reverse. I've heard of people mixing bourbon with porters or stouts, but it's never made sense to me until then. Any suggestions on that front?

Also taking recommendations on bourbons and especially rye anything, always always.

"Rebellion has to be part of the response to rigid social institutions, or stagnation is assured." - Greg Graffin
"Metal is a fusion of everything, covered in anger and dragons." - Jered M'F'ing Eide
"Every song written is a crisis of the soul solved." - His Realness Tony Cordisco, the Riffmaster

Comments

• For obtainable bourbons, Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10, Angel's Envy, Hudson Baby Bourbon, Hudson Four Grain, and Pappy Van Winkle have all treated me well. For stuff I can only dream of finding, Black Maple Hill 16yr old Small Batch. I had a finger of it neat once and it was an experience bordering on religious. If anyone knows where I can find it please tell me :(

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Although many still claim that Purple Urkel and Doritos are the Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire of inebriation, serious voluptuaries will credit Alaskan Thunderfuck as possessing those numinous qualities once attributed to personal ambition and job satisfaction.
  • Saw your comment in the other thread about mixing the nice one XD Don't worry, I'm pretty sure past the roughly-$40-a-750mL point that I'd likely never mix a bourbon (unless one were specifically recommended to me for some special mix). And even below that point, peach tea is the only mixer I occasionally touch. (To be honest, though, I think it mostly only carries the potential to complement whiskeys -- but yes, I mostly drink whiskey straight.) It's been a long time since I had a cheap whiskey/coke at a bar.

Someday my story might change given beer blends, but I've never yet had the balls to try any of that of course.

What's Angel's Envy like? I've heard it mentioned a few times but never heard anyone explain anything about it.
    "Rebellion has to be part of the response to rigid social institutions, or stagnation is assured." - Greg Graffin
    "Metal is a fusion of everything, covered in anger and dragons." - Jered M'F'ing Eide
    "Every song written is a crisis of the soul solved." - His Realness Tony Cordisco, the Riffmaster
  • edited January 2015
    Herenicus said:
    Although many still claim that Purple Urkel and Doritos are the Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire of inebriation, serious voluptuaries will credit Alaskan Thunderfuck as possessing those numinous qualities once attributed to personal ambition and job satisfaction.
    *dies rofling* (Insta-edit, is that from something? What is it from if it is? "The Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire of inebriation ..." XD)

All seriousness aside, do we get in any trouble for cursing on the forums? Back when I used to be active forever ago on the old ones, there was a filter, but now I see people being casual with "fuck" all over the place and I wanna stop tiptoeing around it if I can get away with it. >.>
  • edited January 2015
    Classy gentlemen like myself never mix, nor even refrigerate,  their liquor. I don't even use a glass. #highsociety #refinedpalate #roomtempoutthebottle

Also, I'm pretty sure the occasional thrown fuck is overlooked, as long as we aren't liberal in its use directed at specific persons. "What the fuck? This fucking class." Being ok while "fuck you, you fucking piece of shit" not so much. Though I'm unaware of any real enforced obscenity rules.

• #hashtageverything indeed, eh? :P 

I don't understand chilling whiskey. Just about everything else, though, I'll chill.

... Apparently I'm going to be pathologically active on these forums until I resign to setting up anew on Mudlet and playing again. >.> Curses.
  • Annui said:
    What's Angel's Envy like? I've heard it mentioned a few times but never heard anyone explain anything about it.
    Angel's Envy has about the smoothest finish of any widely available bourbon. It's finished in port wine casks, so it retains a hint of that sweetness (not nearly Crown level) without coming across as anything but pure bourbon. I'm a fan.

• Sounds awesome! I know I've seen it around somewhere, will have to try some.

@Khairt, just saw your edit. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Northern Lights (NoLi) or Fremont Brewery beer and Dry Fly for whiskey are the best the Northwest have to offer. 
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"

Columbus has a small distillery which makes an excellent gin. The Columbus Brewing Company also makes some delicious IPAs, although I don't consider myself a big hophead. 
  • EldEld
    edited January 2015
    Aodfionn said:
    Northern Lights (NoLi) or Fremont Brewery beer and Dry Fly for whiskey are the best the Northwest have to offer. 
    Haven't had a chance to try Dry Fly yet, but Woodinville rye is also quite nice.
  • What do you guys use gin for? I'm such a whiskey/beer person that I'm not sure how to properly appreciate gin. My only friends who use it are weird.
    Gin and tonics are the perfect summer drink and martinis for when I feel like sloshing gin on myself using a fancy glass.
  • Pimms is the only acceptable summer drink, you heathens.

• Annui said:
    What do you guys use gin for? I'm such a whiskey/beer person that I'm not sure how to properly appreciate gin. My only friends who use it are weird.
    1 1/2 pt Bombay Sapphire gin
    1 pt Effen Cucumber vodka
    4 pt lemon-lime soda

• If it's good enough gin to drink neat, do so. Otherwise, it probably makes good paint thinner.
  • I love Negroni, the cocktail. It is a very famous cocktail in Italy, especially in Milan. It really puts gin to good use.

There is also Campari and Martini Rosso in that. Martini Rosso is a sweet vermouth, and Campari does not need any introduction.

I also love the Long Island Iced Tea. I had one in Long Island, and I still remember it.

As to Martini, take a look to this ad with Charlize Theron…

Light prevails, always
  • edited January 2015
    I don't usually drink fancy stuff (i.e., anything more expensive than Yuengling), but I picked up some Jim Beam Black Double Aged on sale the other day and am really digging it.

Also lately have been really into the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. They make really solid black & tans with that and the Chicory Stout at their alehouses.

Jailbreak makes a really great jalapeño IPA called Welcome to Scoville that I'd also definitely recommend.

[edit to add formatting]
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    Shibumi said:

I also love the Long Island Iced Tea.
    made properly, those are -dangerous-

• Sweeeeeeet, man, I'm already learning so much from everyone. I wuv this thread. I'll have to try some of those gin ideas for sure.

Rohai, that 90 Minute and Chicory Stout black and tan idea sounds bomb. I've still never tried a real black and tan.

Related to beer mixing, actually -- the Coors brewery in Golden, CO has a tour with a "bar" at the end where you get three small beers (equivalent to like two real ones) for free, right, so you can try some of the like six or eight Coors-owned products they have there, and mixing is reasonably popular. The "Mines Moon" is a Blue Moon with Killian's and a slice of orange. (You can say you'll take the "short tour" and get a differently-colored wristband that just lets you go right up the elevators to the bar directly, since they used to have people rushing through the tour daily for free drinks, and Mines kids do the short tour all the time and call it "Coors lab" like it's a class. :P ) There are a few others people have invented but I can't think of any, and it kinda depends on which things they have on which of the taps, because theoretically the tenders aren't supposed to pull from other taps but most of 'em will do it anyway. A fun stop if anyone's ever in town.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I keep seeing the Seattle Bacon & Bourbon Fest coming up in March if any of you are into bacon and bourbon.

http://seattle.bourbonandbaconfest.com/
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Annui said:
    What do you guys use gin for? I'm such a whiskey/beer person that I'm not sure how to properly appreciate gin. My only friends who use it are weird.
    Not much beyond Long Island Iced Tea, since I haven't worked out martinis, and have dismissed gin and tonic as something I'm not yet old enough to understand. The one other gin cocktail I've made repeatedly is an Aviation. My mum had one on holiday somewhere and it made an impression, so I figured out what it was called from her vague description, found the recipe, and tracked down some violet liqueur as an xmas gift.

2 oz gin
    2/3 oz lemon juice
    1/2 oz maraschino liqueur
    1/4 oz creme de violette
    1/3 oz simple syrup (optional; I prefer it)

Mix in a shaker, add ice, shake 7 seconds, and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.

The result is this ethereally pale, lavender-coloured drink, the pale blue cast of dawn, with a blot of crimson at the stem where the maraschino cherry slowly leeches out some of its colour. Savvy readers will deduce from the recipe that being comprised almost entirely of alcohol, this is quite strong, but the flavour is subtle and interesting, with the lemon, maraschino, and violet all balancing against each other.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    Saw someone say Campari. Mixes very nicely with fresh orange juice or bitter lemon.
  • edited February 2015
    Annui said:
    Not much beyond Long Island Iced Tea, since I haven't worked out martinis, and have dismissed gin and tonic as something I'm not yet old enough to understand. The one other gin cocktail I've made repeatedly is an Aviation. My mum had one on holiday somewhere and it made an impression, so I figured out what it was called from her vague description, found the recipe, and tracked down some violet liqueur as an xmas gift.

2 oz gin
    2/3 oz lemon juice
    1/2 oz maraschino liqueur
    1/4 oz creme de violette
    1/3 oz simple syrup (optional; I prefer it)

Mix in a shaker, add ice, shake 7 seconds, and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.

The result is this ethereally pale, lavender-coloured drink, the pale blue cast of dawn, with a blot of crimson at the stem where the maraschino cherry slowly leeches out some of its colour. Savvy readers will deduce from the recipe that being comprised almost entirely of alcohol, this is quite strong, but the flavour is subtle and interesting, with the lemon, maraschino, and violet all balancing against each other.

Oh no you di'int.

That sounds like one of those dangerously awesome recipes. I shall have to try that.

I need to collect cool liqueurs anyway, because my mom makes these badass organic chocolate truffles with a bunch of flavors of liqueurs, which I'm totally gonna bug her for the complete recipe for and make and post a how-to in here about eventually anyway, so I'm down to take note of a bunch of cool drink recipes.

Edit because oh yeah: "The result is this ethereally pale, lavender-coloured drink, the pale blue cast of dawn, with a blot of crimson at the stem where the maraschino cherry slowly leeches out some of its colour. Savvy readers will deduce from the recipe that being comprised almost entirely of alcohol, this is quite strong, but the flavour is subtle and interesting, with the lemon, maraschino, and violet all balancing against each other." Do you sell this IC? I'd buy this IC.
  • How was Hopslam this year, for those of you who picked some up? I've not heard good things from a lot who tried it.

• Cooper said:
    How was Hopslam this year, for those of you who picked some up? I've not heard good things from a lot who tried it.
    Not fantastic. It was good, but it wasn't anywhere near worth what people are paying for it.

• There were stores here charging $24.99 for a 6 pack, normal margin would have put it at $20.99.

• To be fair I'd take the opportunity to clean up as well if I were a retailer. I had one guy come into my preferred liquor store and tell one of the owners he'd pay 30 each if they were reserved for him and didn't get put on the shelf. My mind was blown, I think the biggest cost to liquid ratio I've ever justified more than once on a 'pack' of beer was 14.99 for a four-pack of Ten Fidy.