Most Badass Class

1235»

Comments

• You've already been exposed as a troll. "Roleplay abilities"
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    If you are artied enough you can get over that, but that's the problem really. Have to get dem arties. It's not a newb friendly class

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    edited January 2015
    Jovolo said:
    You've already been exposed as a troll. "Roleplay abilities"

People I talk to love using serpent abilities to impact their RP. I don't understand what is so trollish about pointing that out.
    Jovolo bringing out the ad hominem early in the argument.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • Kensei said:
    I'd pick a trident, little more badass than spear for me! :smile: But, just to clarify, do you actually take the animal forms or just the spirit of the animal possesses you? I've always been a little confused with what Metamorphosis does... :confounded:
    The spirit of the creature co-habits your body. If you need a mental image, think of it as like the animal is a spectral overlay on your body, with associated "glint of the wyvern in your eyes" or "eyes like ice" or "moves like a jaguar" or whatever.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• edited January 2015
    There is no argument. What is even being said. Apostate is a weak combat class that needs to be brought up to par with other affliction classes because Apostasy lacks roleplay abilities in comparison to Serpents? I'm short circuiting 

I apologise for calling you a troll if you aren't actually trying to troll me, the comment on the previous page just seemed as much like a troll as I've seen.
    I think you are putting a lot of his posts into the wrong context, but this is the world of free speech so I guess you may do as you please.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • edited January 2015
    Well. is there a reason as to why you think Apostates are below par that doesn't involve a subjective correlation of class popularity and class strength, Herenicus? That's all I was trying to get at. You're presenting a personal observation rather than a tangible problem that can be solved.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    I am only advocating two points:
    • Apostate shouldn't be significantly more difficult to enjoy than other classes
    • Apostasy could (at least) use another utility/RP/flavour buff or two
  • A certain degree of difficulty is part of what makes a class give a "badass" impression though. Not directly on an IC level, true, but OOC perception subconsciously always plays a part there. In that sense, "difficulty" can even be something that adds "flavour" to a class.

Merely having abilities that come with cool text does relatively little to enhance a class in the long term, since few people are going to be truly reading these texts after the first couple of times, even more so in mid-combat. For a more lasting impression, cool texts need to be coupled with cool mechanics and cool mechanics often tend to be a harder to grasp than mechanics that are well established and straight-forward.

• Unsure why serpent is the only class that is being mentioned as being possibly better than apostate at afflicting.

What about jester, shaman, bard, alchemist, and occultist?

Jester and shaman seem pretty solidly better than apostate. Bard is iffy. Definitely more difficult to use than apostate, but probably better if used properly. Limb breaks are just so nice for pinning someone down who is determined to slow prep.

Alchemist and occultist seem better than apostate to me, primarily because of ability to chase opponents effectively, making their offense a lot harder to stop. They are also pretty much unaffected by fitness, while locking a fitnesser as apostate should be very difficult (particularly if they're doing slow-prep ish fighting). Demon corrupt doesn't seem like a particularly strong alternative when unartied, given apostate's affliction speed, nightmare nerf, and tree.

Apostate has advantages, too, of course. It's a defense and hindering powerhouse. Should pretty much never die. But I think it would be difficult to pin an opponent down for the kill as one (never played the class, personally, as a disclaimer). And much more difficult to jump people as one than as serpent, alchemist, or occultist.

• Jester might be the most powerful class in the game. 

Once I tied in the 3rd skill I just quit. I forgot Puppet break, imbibe, and sleep were a thing. 
  • @Iocun: That kind of badassery is legit ICly as well, but it speaks more for the individual than the class. If there are fifty serpents but only one can lock you, and the rest just die trying, serpents honestly kinda suck as a class, concentrating all the potential badassery into the one that can actually beat you.
  • Mizik said:
    Jester might be the most powerful class in the game. 

Once I tied in the 3rd skill I just quit. I forgot Puppet break, imbibe, and sleep were a thing. 
    I agree with you, I HATE JESTER!(speaking as a monk of course.. :D)

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • edited January 2015
    Iocun said:
    A certain degree of difficulty is part of what makes a class give a "badass" impression though. Not directly on an IC level, true, but OOC perception subconsciously always plays a part there. In that sense, "difficulty" can even be something that adds "flavour" to a class.

Merely having abilities that come with cool text does relatively little to enhance a class in the long term, since few people are going to be truly reading these texts after the first couple of times, even more so in mid-combat. For a more lasting impression, cool texts need to be coupled with cool mechanics and cool mechanics often tend to be a harder to grasp than mechanics that are well established and straight-forward.

Wish I could double awesome tag this post.  I never thought if it like that, but that's exactly how I see it too.  What makes a class "badass" is a purely subjective thing, but that's definitely a huge part of my definition, if you couldn't tell by my monologue on serpent badassery.
  • NimNim
    edited January 2015
    I turned my "I thought I liked it but my phone decided otherwise apparently" into an awesome just for you, Ernam. :3
  • Mizik said:

LoS stun/blackout/web is so annoying. Seems a bit OP if there are two jesters timing LoS bombs well.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • regarding Apostate, the reason it's the coolest class imo is why I still stay apo (in addition to me being super stingy with credits). Viability wise, it's easy to win fights against someone who doesn't know how to fight us, but against top-tier it's pretty meh

but I'm a noob so what do I know
  • Mizik said:

LoS stun/blackout/web is so annoying. Seems a bit OP if there are two jesters timing LoS bombs well.

Only takes one. 
  • Played jester for a while without any puppetry. Was amazing. Hated what it became when i learned puppetry, though. Fashioning just added guaranteed victory on a timer. 

That was way back,  though.  Not sure how it has changed since then.