Dirge - gravehands and piety

2»

Comments

• I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but gravehands also have the added benefit of working like a rite of pilgrimage with the transverse skill. 
  • edited January 2015

Here's a concept that just popped into my mind the other day, but after contemplation, actually makes the cut for being good enough to toss into the forum arena, IMO:

What if Piety/Gravehands just cancelled each other out?  There are a few different methods of implementing this (they could both remain in existence and just not do anything, or optionally they could both remain in existence, cease to function, and have alternate appereance/titles, or they could simply just both be removed if they co-exist in a room), but the principle is basically the same.

I personally kinda hate the whole How this raid goes depends on whether or not a bard happens to be logged in concept, particularly since the answer is frequently that none are.  It's also kinda dumb that we're constantly trying to convince people to go bard simply so we can have more people capable of neutralizing gravehands in raids (most of the time, said person would have to change from something significantly more useful for group combat, since bard is relatively weak in that regard).

I also get a strong sense that pretty much everyone dislikes being on either end of piety/gravehands (which in many cases, are both active for everyone in the room) - so I don't see why something like this would be particularly unwelcome.  Whoever has it down first still has a big advantage, and since GH is LoS now, it actually gives "Evil" a way to drop piety BEFORE engaging a group, which would also be pretty cool.  This would dramatically encourage melee over ranged conflicts, as I would submit that Piety/GH is one of the primary reasons people tend to avoid group melee if at all possible.

• (missed edit)  
    Should mention that I did consider the 1v1 implications of this, however I think they'd be relatively interesting and fair.  1v1 is why I would recommend simply dissolving piety/GH if they're cancelled out, or something a bit more dynamic, like every 5 seconds, if both exist in a room, having 25% of cancelling each other out (this would make it less abusable in the form of dropping GH then bailing, in order to escape Piety, or visa versa).