Darkness in new hunting areas.

Hey, the wind in caverns of echoes was pretty cool to add a level of challenge to a difficult bashing area.

Next area should be horror themed with darkness you can't squint through and torches. No map for dark areas, changing layouts, quest mechanisms to light up certain areas so you can find your way around safely. Or you can brave the darkness and see what you run into.

So you get these situations:

http://9gag.com/gag/ae382LO

Comments

• edited January 2015
    I like it, but don't stop halfway: make it so it gives permanent blackout until you leave the area (or do such a light-up-certain-areas thingy). Maybe some mobs drop torches that will provide some light for a short duration or something.

Personally, I'm not so fond of horror themes, so I'd rather it be something different, but whatever!

There need to be more cool room effects in bashing areas anyways. I'm still holding out for a bashing area that has perma retardation in every room.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    He just wanted a reason to post that gif.

I like it.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
    morph jaguar
    nightsight
    tap quarterstaff
    evoke flash

problem solved, at least until the monsters arrive.
  • Iocun said:
    I like it, but don't stop halfway: make it so it gives permanent blackout until you leave the area (or do such a light-up-certain-areas thingy). Maybe some mobs drop torches that will provide some light for a short duration or something.

Personally, I'm not so fond of horror themes, so I'd rather it be something different, but whatever!

There need to be more cool room effects in bashing areas anyways. I'm still holding out for a bashing area that has perma retardation in every room.
    It's called Moghedu.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Xith said:
    Iocun said:

It's called Moghedu.
    That's not a very nice thing to say about mhuns.
  • edited January 2015
    It would be interesting to see nightsight actually do something other than make subdivisions slightly more visible.

Maybe without nightsight you can't see at all, and even with it you can't glance or squint except into rooms where you've lit torches in sconces? Perhaps lit torches in sconces keep wandering monsters out of those rooms?

I can see a lot of neat directions this could go.

In fact, I feel like this sort of thing (and I really like Iocun's retardation suggestion too) would be a really clever solution to the problem of making bashing more dynamic without having to make mobs themselves able to cure afflictions or other overly-complicated ideas. In fact, things like having to bash in retardation could even serve as some basic practice to get people used to the mechanic if they ever end up fighting.
  • Or make them gank fodder.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited January 2015
    Tael said:
     Perhaps lit torches in sconces keep wandering monsters out of those rooms? causes bunches of smaller tiered monsters to fucking swarm those rooms so you have a choice of going slow and encountering one or two massive killers in the dark or a shit ton of little ones that threaten to overwhelm you.

ftfy

• So what you want is Dead Space: Achaea?
  • Few areas in Imperian that are in pitch darkness, that you can't bash/explore without Nightsight, or a lantern (made via engineering skill). Would approve.

• All for this idea, considering I come from Darkness Falls: The Crusade, a MUD in which the only areas that had maps were cities and the surrounding areas near a city. The other 90 percent of the realm (yours, since there were 3 all separated by water, so I'll liken them to factions with their own 'areas') was completely dark--no map whatsoever, that area would go black, forcing you to map out areas on your own (walking macros/aliases) etc, or memorizing exits patterns of specific rooms to use as reference points, so you know where you are relative to the city.
  • The entirety of Achaea used to be unmapped. They didn't add the mapping system until relatively recently
  • Rangor said:
    Had to follow the roads so you didn't get lost in the forests.
    Yes, and completing forestwalking was much more difficult!