Patronage System

Comments

• Erhon said:
    ... I just remember how often I got into fights with @Delphinus on the chronicler clan and it often degenerated to the point where @Madelyne had to step in and vote one way or another. (Usually with me cause Delph was being a dork!)
    Fights/voting over what exactly?
  • Trey said:
    Sarapis said:
    You're also not a slave as a Celani. Slaves can't quit or choose what they want to work on. ;)
    Is it 100% impossible to become Celani and keep your mortal? I understand how bad it could burn you doing a trial run, but if the person in question was barred from working on anything relating directly to them and signed an NDA that says if you talk about Fight Club you're permashrubbed, no appeals, it seems like it could work. You'd need someone with Saltaernebrous levels of character separation, but you could do it.
    Their official stance is once you take a step beyond a certain spot (it might be a certain point during Celani-hood, or shortly after, not 100%) that you can't ever go back to your mortal. I don't think that's the unofficial stance, though, because I'm pretty sure there have been multiple exceptions in the last ~5 years.

• Off the top of my head, mainly formatting and style. There was that one time though where he was pushing to have the authority to name things because he discovered them.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Sarapis I think *facedesk* is more fitting here
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Trey said:
    Tecton said:
    Cooper said:
    Trey said:
    Sarapis said:
    You're also not a slave as a Celani. Slaves can't quit or choose what they want to work on. ;)
    Is it 100% impossible to become Celani and keep your mortal? I understand how bad it could burn you doing a trial run, but if the person in question was barred from working on anything relating directly to them and signed an NDA that says if you talk about Fight Club you're permashrubbed, no appeals, it seems like it could work. You'd need someone with Saltaernebrous levels of character separation, but you could do it.
    Their official stance is once you take a step beyond a certain spot (it might be a certain point during Celani-hood, or shortly after, not 100%) that you can't ever go back to your mortal. I don't think that's the unofficial stance, though, because I'm pretty sure there have been multiple exceptions in the last ~5 years.
    Gods can go back to their mortals, should they wish. We just have that rule in there for coders, due to the in-depth knowledge that they glean from full access to the source.
    Is that the part where the coder in question finds out that there's no code past a baseline for certain things, and the rest is mined out to underprivileged Chinese orphans who furiously type out room descriptions and attacks? (Protip people: Lag is when they get tired and start typing slower)
    Someone needs to hit them more, been getting some lag lately.
  • Sarapis said:
    @Trey Seen Snowpiercer eh?
    No, looked dumb. Is there something like that in there?

• AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited January 2015
    Daeir said:
    To be fair, offering incentives for the players that want to do the work that you probably should be doing yourself anyway would be a good way to go about things.

The wiki stuff petered out largely because it is fairly fruitless to behold since so few people use it, and it is a LOT of work to collate original content for it.
    We should get gold for it.

I will write everything I have in my Achaea folder for all the gold. Or at least 1m.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Erhon said:
    Off the top of my head, mainly formatting and style. There was that one time though where he was pushing to have the authority to name things because he discovered them.
    Sarapis said:
    *facepalm*
    One lovely gem of an example, of our zany Chronicler pedantics:
    http://wiki.achaea.com/Category_talk:Humgii
  • Snowpiercer was terrible. It was like a train wreck. I couldn't stop watching.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Erhon said:
    Off the top of my head, mainly formatting and style. There was that one time though where he was pushing to have the authority to name things because he discovered them.
    Come to think of it, I haven't been a Chronicler for RL years now, but I also remember some Chroniclers getting cheesed off about other Chroniclers deliberately making minor inconsequential edits so that their name appeared as the last known editor. >_> Some kind of Wiki-peen at having the most articles to their name or something.

• Skye said:
    Erhon said:
    Come to think of it, I haven't been a Chronicler for RL years now, but I also remember some Chroniclers getting cheesed off about other Chroniclers deliberately making minor inconsequential edits so that their name appeared as the last known editor. >_> Some kind of Wiki-peen at having the most articles to their name or something.
    That I never experienced, and since I was the only one who didn't do it under my own character name, kinda funny.
  • Krypton said:
    Erhon said:
    Sarapis said:
    *facepalm*
    One lovely gem of an example, of our zany Chronicler pedantics:
    http://wiki.achaea.com/Category_talk:Humgii
    Good lord. 
  • Depends on whether it is sentient or not.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Erhon said:
    Depends on whether it is sentient or not.
    Why does it depend on sentience. Surely the rules should be changed.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Sarapis said:
    Zii said:
    The whole "year of slave labor" thing is off-putting when you make the Celani calls.

Jus sayin
    Yeah, sucks that when you want to be a pilot you have to actually train at it first. Would be way better to just toss them a manual, give them a week to read it, and then stick them in the pilot's seat. You guys would just love the results of that.
    The military had been doing this for ages. I'm not sure I understand the problem.  :neutral_face: 

• edited February 2015
    Look at the bright side -- at least we don't have a REAL patronage system, like in USSR-era Russia or the corrupracy of Chicago. We could do some fine RP with that, with the Patron God or Goddess demanding a glass vase to approve a customization, (and it better be a GOOD glass vase,) or you have to hunt up 1,000,000 essence five times to get a room added to your House. Imagine the possibilities, of Achaea turning into a totalitarian shithole! It'll be FUN! :D

Sad to say, @Tecton and @Sarapis will almost certainly shoot down my idea, and I'll sink into philosophical despair and wander around for days trying to grasp onto my remaining reason for existence... but you'll have Patronage and not PATRONAGE.

tl;dr : it could be worse. Just ask Uncle Joe or Uncle Adolf.
  • MadelyneMadelyne East Coast, USA
    Sarapis said:
    From the Article: Despite the criticism, the former IBM employee says he finds the editing “fun” and has no immediate plans to quit. "I really do think I’m doing a public service, but at the same time, I get something out of it myself,” he told the told the website.

I thought I was pedantic about certain grammar mishaps, but I concede to this guy.

• @Madelyne @Bluef -If you need anything from Church days hit me up I've been running into a lot of stuff as I go through my stockpiles of years of info as a historian for most of shallam/church/templars/elysians. I'm afraid most of it doesn't fit the IC though with good/Good and Light vs light etc so I'm not exactly sure how to deal with all that mess on wiki I'm afraid it might further confuse the issue. But if you have an idea or a concept about that time at the least I can give you feedback just make sure to get my attention message wise or something like that and find me and add me to the clan.

@Mathonwy I'm glad people learned that with Shallam/Citadel it was a pretty costly move in terms of semi-active players as far as I've seen we've lost at least 30 players with that whole debacle probably more. That kinda hurts us all. Plus interfering too much on the meta level just leaves players feeling entirely useless and controlled which ruins the point of the game.Enforcing mass change like that event did with almost no outlet for the old just makes players want to leave maybe just me it's been 2 RL years before I would even come back and stay more than an hour or so. It just never has sat right the complete break of immersion.  Two reasons I've not minded cyrene's no devotion is 1-because Cyrene has gone out of their way to make it ok for us, 2-because most of us were assured of several things when we chose runewarden over paladin. This has lead to a fairly amicable change.

@gods who are watching this thread-Having lived through I wanna say 3 iterations of the same order and 3 iterations of another close order I can see how having your own thing impacts the RP and really how people perceive things I've seen everything from minor variations on a theme to titanic shockwave changes in orders. Maybe I'm wrong but it would be nice for you guys if however you had a way of automating/storing some tasks that are repetitive or are done in a certain manner even if it's just for archive purposes for celani to see so that when a new god takes over they have an idea of that gods style (in case they are from a different area of the game). Admittedly I know very little but I almost wish there were ways for older order members to contribute to a waking God stories or something of how that God behaved when... fill in the blank... If anything it would help give ideas but then again I'm not too familiar maybe this is already in place somewhere.

(Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • Could we revisit this idea? Currently stuck with a locked enchantment room in my House and I'm not sure how long I should wait, after being told to use the patronage system via ISSUE ME, to explore other options when the given one isn't working. Absolutely no reflection on Twilight whatsoever, but I can't know his schedule or if he's on vacation or if he's gone dormant, and the patron request system gives no feedback on any of those things, leaving me in this awkward, I don't know when or how I should go over Twilight's head position.