ST and Tab Targeting

I'm not quite sure where this goes since it involves the official client and also the game's actual engine. Anyway.

Right now, ST <mob> and tab-targeting in the HTML5 client interact in a counterintuitive way.

If you do ST CERBERUS and walk into a room with a cerberus and a cultist, you will be targeting the cerberus (and it lights up in the IH pane to make this clear). If you then start tab-targeting, the UI will indicate that you're changing your target to the cultist, but it doesn't actually change - when you attack, you'll hit the cerberus.

Solutions, from least desirable to most desirable.

3. At the very least, the UI shouldn't change.

2. Slightly better would be tab-targeting replacing an ST target (and vice versa). This would be a lot more intuitive than the current situation, though it isn't a very ideal solution since having to re-enter the ST target after the tab target is gone or dead is a pain.

1. The ideal solution would be to have the game maintain two target variables: an ST target and a tab target. If the tab-target is in the room, attacks should automatically target it. Otherwise, attacks should go to the ST target. This offers the benefits of both systems: you can ST CULTIST and not have to bother hitting tab for each cultist individually every time you want to kill one, but if you want to target a specific cultist or a cerberus you can tab-target to it, and once it's dead or you've moved, you're back to your "default" ST target without having to enter the command again. This would also be handy when fighting players - you can ST target the player, then tab-target to their ents and, once they're dead, you're back to targeting the player.

Comments

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    edited January 2015
    Solution 2 is already how it works, your ST target will be overwritten with your tab-targeted target, and vice-versa.
  • Tecton said:
    Solution 2 is already how it works, your ST target will be overwritten with your tab-targeted target, and vice-versa.
    I've had the same problem as @Tael‌ and tab targeting doesn't change the target for me. My ST target stays the same even if there isn't a valid target in the room.
    I just tested this - do you get something different?

st troll
    Your target is now: Troll (a denizen)

ih
    spit433335          a cooking spit
    pepu17948           Pepu, the pygmy cook
    Number of objects: 2

kick
    I do not recognise anything called that here.

'tab target pepu here
    You say, "Tab target pepu here."

kick
    You leap into the air and launch a flying kick at Pepu, the pygmy cook.
    You connect!

You have recovered balance on all limbs.

kick
    You leap into the air and launch a flying kick at Pepu, the pygmy cook.
    You connect!
    You have scored a WORLD-SHATTERING CRITICAL hit!!!
    You have slain Pepu, the pygmy cook, retrieving the corpse.

Also tried this using F-key buttons and it worked fine too
    I should note that if you have, say ST TROLL set in-game, and there's no trolls in the room, you won't get the "target information" for a troll unless there's a troll in the room.
  • So tab targeting doesn't actually use the tab key and has to be said out loud?
    Erhon said:
    So tab targeting doesn't actually use the tab key and has to be said out loud?
    You mean you don't play Achaea by yelling at your computer?
  • If I did they probably would have me on stronger meds. :neutral_face: Damn now I'm tempted. :wink:
  • edited January 2015
    That's not quite the situation I was trying to describe - the confusing thing happens when both targets are in the room, in which case the tab target just gets ignored. Here's an example:
    ih
    cerberus46672 a bestial, two-headed canine
    cerberus46192 a bestial, two-headed canine
    cultist19067 a mysterious cloaked figure
    st cultist
    Your target is now: Cultist (a denizen)
    <tab target a cerberus>
    educe iron
    Drawing upon the latent alchemical energies, you sketch out a symbol in the air with your finger in the shape of two isosceles triangles set base-to-base.
    Directing the energy of iron, you engulf a mysterious cloaked figure's body with ashen flames, which burn his skin with their frigid touch.
    In this case, what probably should happen is that the tab target should temporarily override the ST target. So that EDUCE IRON should hit the cerberus. If I repeat EDUCE IRON and kill the cerberus, making my tab target invalid, my next EDUCE IRON should hit the cultist (my ST target). That makes more sense since ST can be used to set more general targets than tab, since ST can target players unlike tab, and since tab-targeting is faster to change. It's also what the UI makes it look like is supposed to be happening.
    edited January 2015
    st cerberus
    12:37:13 Your target is now: Cerberus (a denizen)

12:37:22 Collapsed passage. (indoors)                           
    12:37:22 This rather wide passage has a low ceiling. Large stalactites hang precariously above and create natural solid baffles. The combination of these stalactites and the cool, moist air cause even the loudest of noises to be hushed to a whisper. The floor is slick from water dripping overhead and boot prints have been left in the mud. Deeper in the room, the smell of smoke can be perceived from somewhere to the west. Tael, Insidium Disciple is here. He wields a Shield of Absorption in his right hand.
    12:37:22 You see exits leading north and west.

w
    12:37:23 Watchman's post in cultist fortress. (indoors)         
    12:37:23 Small and cramped, this chamber is inundated with stalactites. The spiralling structures of stone hang low from the ceiling, gnarled and jagged. The floor is uneven, and rises at the centre into an island of dryness amidst the muck. The remains of a small campfire situates upon the mound, cool and dark. The air is cool, but the smell of burnt wood hangs heavy in the air. There are 2 bestial, two-headed canines here. Its body covered by a thick, dark cloak, a mysterious figure stands here.
    12:37:23 You see exits leading east and northwest.

-tab target cultist-

kick
    12:37:47 You leap into the air and launch a flying kick at a mysterious cloaked figure.
    12:37:47 You connect!
    12:37:47 You have scored a WORLD-SHATTERING CRITICAL hit!!!
    12:37:47 You have slain a mysterious cloaked figure, retrieving the corpse.
    12:37:47 The Mask of the Beast tumbles out of the corpse of a mysterious cloaked figure.
    12:37:47 A tiny pile of sovereigns spills from the corpse.

ETA: Hrrm, looks like the problem is with EDUCE IRON, rather than the tab targeting system - will take a look and get it fixed up.
  • Tecton said:
    ETA: Hrrm, looks like the problem is with EDUCE IRON, rather than the tab targeting system - will take a look and get it fixed up.
    Aha! I asked a friend to test it too when it first happened in order to make sure it wasn't a script and he said the same thing was happening to him too - so it might not be just EDUCE IRON (or he might have just misunderstood what I was saying). He was Runewarden, but I don't know what spec, so I'm not sure what command it was.